The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The Russel group is not necessarily the best universities but instead the ones who get money for research. There are many good universities like Bath and St Andrew's which are not part of the Russell group. If research is what you are into, the Russell group is a good place to start.
Bear this in mind when making your 5 choices. It's very important that you will choose a uni because you think you will have the best time there, not because a league table says it's the wealthiest.
Elitism.
Reply 3
Original post by cleveranimal56
Elitism.

The Russell group is not necessarily elite, it's just a list of research funded universities. Some of the highest rated unis are not part of the Russell group
Reply 4
Original post by Anholm
The Russel group is not necessarily the best universities but instead the ones who get money for research. There are many good universities like Bath and St Andrew's which are not part of the Russell group. If research is what you are into, the Russell group is a good place to start.
Bear this in mind when making your 5 choices. It's very important that you will choose a uni because you think you will have the best time there, not because a league table says it's the wealthiest.

Which non russel group unis would you say are the best apart from Bath and St Andrew's then? Loughborough, Leicester?
Original post by Anholm
The Russell group is not necessarily elite, it's just a list of research funded universities. Some of the highest rated unis are not part of the Russell group

I'm not talking about the Russel group universities. I'm criticising the elitist mentality of people.
Reply 6
I'm not talking about the Russel group universities. I'm criticising the elitist mentality of people.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be elite, what makes you say that?
Reply 7
I'm not talking about the Russel group universities. I'm criticising the elitist mentality of people

You seem to have a victim mentality. For the career I am planning on, I need to go to one of the top 50 unis in the country for my course, not necessarily Russel group.
Original post by Anholm
Theres nothing wrong with wanting to be elite, what makes you say that?

You're literally arguing against your own argument. I cba at this point.
Reply 9
Original post by weekndd
Which non russel group unis would you say are the best apart from Bath and St Andrew's then? Loughborough, Leicester?

Yes, they have good reviews, I recommend that you visit online open days and ask students about their experiences. They differ wildly between subjects. Some more good universities are Royal Holloway, Bradford, Strathclyde... it depends on the subject
Original post by weekndd

Look at the Guardian Good uni guide. Loughborough, Lancaster are in the top 20 but are campus unis. Do you prefer city unis or campus?

Latest

Trending

Trending