The Student Room Group

Housemate’s boyfriend moving into our uni house

I’m living in a 4 bedroom uni house and my housemate has just said her boyfriend is thinking of moving here and taking the smallest bedroom, would pay rent and bills etc

is it wrong that i’d rather he didn’t because i feel like i wouldn’t see my uni friends enough? as in her and her boyfriend make up half the house and then the 4th bedroom would be to one of our friends but when they’re busy i’d be 3rd wheeling completely?? i just feel like i’m at uni to live with my mates, not my mates and their boyfriends ????
I would be concerned too - it changes the dynamic of your household, plus it would be unpleasant if they split up.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m living in a 4 bedroom uni house and my housemate has just said her boyfriend is thinking of moving here and taking the smallest bedroom, would pay rent and bills etc

is it wrong that i’d rather he didn’t because i feel like i wouldn’t see my uni friends enough? as in her and her boyfriend make up half the house and then the 4th bedroom would be to one of our friends but when they’re busy i’d be 3rd wheeling completely?? i just feel like i’m at uni to live with my mates, not my mates and their boyfriends ????

Explain this to her, you're paying a quarter of bills and rent, you have a say. Since he's not at the uni, you can complain to the uni, chances are uni relationships don't last long, so you're not ruining her life. Meet him, if he's not up to scratch/you don't feel happy, complain but talk to her first. Tell her to get a double with the boyfriend if she's financially able. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Explain this to her, you're paying a quarter of bills and rent, you have a say. Since he's not at the uni, you can complain to the uni, chances are uni relationships don't last long, so you're not ruining her life. Meet him, if he's not up to scratch/you don't feel happy, complain but talk to her first. Tell her to get a double with the boyfriend if she's financially able. :smile:

it’s difficult because i’ve met him as he visited loads when i was in halls - he’s super nice and i do like him but ultimately he’s her boyfriend rather than my mate. also she has the biggest room in the house (all rooms have double beds etc) so half of me feels like if he’s going to stay why can’t they just share a room?
it’s difficult because i’ve met him as he visited loads when i was in halls - he’s super nice and i do like him but ultimately he’s her boyfriend rather than my mate. also she has the biggest room in the house (all rooms have double beds etc) so half of me feels like if he’s going to stay why can’t they just share a room?

I'd ask her if that's possible. Tell her that she can't just move someone in, he, to quote mean girls, doesn't even go here. It's a shared house, what does your other friend think? If both of you agree, the uni will side with you, as it would anyway, so if she tries and you're really against it you can stop her.

If she just moved him in then you would be questioning whether he should be contributing to the bills etc. Its a minefield best avoided
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
If she just moved him in then you would be questioning whether he should be contributing to the bills etc. Its a minefield best avoided

I agree. i mean she said he would pay his own rent and bills which is great but it’s so much more than that and i feel like a ***** for saying it but i feel like it’s a selfish choice. i’m the only one of all my friends who isn’t in a relationship so maybe i don’t get it
Take her boyfriend
I agree. i mean she said he would pay his own rent and bills which is great but it’s so much more than that and i feel like a ***** for saying it but i feel like it’s a selfish choice. i’m the only one of all my friends who isn’t in a relationship so maybe i don’t get it

It’s very selfish and indicates what her priorities are. It doesn’t matter if he seems nice because all sorts of passive aggressive games and nonsense could take place. You also don’t know what someone is truly like until you live with them.

He's not a uni student, she's in uni halls, she wants to move, she moves out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending