The Student Room Group

Mum biopsy

My mum went for a biopsy of her womb yesterday and I’m so scared the endometrial bleeding means it could come back with cancer. If it comes back with cancer I have no idea how I’m going to cope with it, so I’m looking for some advice I suppose so as much as I can hope for the best, I can also prepare myself for the worst. Thanks all x
Reply 1
Original post by toomuchworktodo
My mum went for a biopsy of her womb yesterday and I’m so scared the endometrial bleeding means it could come back with cancer. If it comes back with cancer I have no idea how I’m going to cope with it, so I’m looking for some advice I suppose so as much as I can hope for the best, I can also prepare myself for the worst. Thanks all x

you haven't got the results back yet so please don't stress too much. I know it's easier said then done, but there's nothing you can do for now, so just try and stay calm, it's out of your hands. The good thing is that she's gotten the tests done, and the doctors have identified the problem and are ready to treat it! Your mum sounds like a really strong woman, she won't let something like this beat her so easily, right? With the help of modern medicine, I wish the best for you and your family <3 sending peace and love! I really hope you get back good results, because waiting is the worst part in these situations ):
I'm so sorry to hear that you're in this situation. But my only advice would be not to jump to conclusions yet. For all you know, it might not be cancer. Even if it is, it could be small and easily treatable. I understand why you're worried but I think the best thing to do right now is think positively - otherwise it will lead down an endless rabbit hole of doubt and worry.
Even if the worst does turn out to be true, just remember that there's nothing you personally can do about it except spend time with your mum and give her the support she needs. But also remember to take care of yourself. Talk to friends, siblings, family, counsellors, etc. or other people you can share your feelings with. Stay active, eat well, sleep well and make sure you exercise, as well as continuing with your hobbies and having enough time to relax. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help but I think looking after yourself properly is the best way you can battle through this.
so sorry to hear that. best advice i can offer you - as someone who has gone through the process of dealing with a loved one who had cancer is - get into fight mode immediately and be prepared to fight the cancer. stay optimistic always, even when it gets tough. plenty of other people have fought it and won, why won't you mum? do everything the doctor suggests, if they say radiotherapy and then chemo then do it. even if your mum doesn't feel the energy to get more, if thats what the doctor suggests will help then thats what you should do.

i won't sugar coat it, life will be tough for a while. but you will turn out tougher as a result. if she gets chemo/radiotherapy she is going to lose her hair, she is going to vomit a lot and feel weak but remember these are only temporary things. her hair will grow back. so will her strength. it will be a rollercoaster ride, she'll have good days and bad days but only WHILST shes fighting the cancer. the radio/chemotherapy has a nasty affect on your body but it DOES work. my brother has a cancer tumour the size of a tennis ball and it shrunk to the size of a peanut after about 10 courses on radiotherapy. THATS how affective it is. however he missed courses of chemotherapy and it started to grow back, thats why I say do NOT miss any of the courses of either chemo or radio. Even if she wants to take a break from it, tell her its better that she doesn't.

also try and get your family to save as much money as they can. hopefully your mum will get treatment straightaway but thanks to the pandemic the NHS is bursting and there are delays in some things. hopefully that won't be the case for your mum but if you ever feel that the doctors are taking too long with something it doesn't hurt to try going private. If you have the money for it of course.

anyways good luck with everything and i sincerely hope the test results come back negative for cancer. but if it is the worst news then the best way to deal with it is positively. theres no such thing as 'cant' or 'wont'. tell yourself and your family she 'can' and 'will' get better. i'm telling you, just remaining positive can help do amazing things for people.
I'm very sorry you are going through all this dear but I will say one thing if in the worst case scenario it turns out to be what you feared - womb cancer has a very HIGH percentage of being cured. Your mum will unfortunately probably be advised to get a hysterectomy (get her womb removed) but it will work. This is what happened with my aunt, she was diagnosed with endometrial/womb cancer and was cured after a simply surgery.

I want to say don't worry but I know thats hard to do when its your own mum. But yeah try not to worry, she will get through this x
Original post by SadiyaSquared
Your mum will unfortunately probably be advised to get a hysterectomy (get her womb removed) but it will work.

Stop scaring OP. Their mother hasn't got the results of her biopsy yet, and you are telling them she will need a hysterectomy when there may be plenty of other explanations for her symptoms that are not cancer!

OP, I have not advice other than not to jump to conclusions and to just wait for the result of her biopsy. Once you get the results, you and your mum will get plenty of opportunities to ask questions and your doctor will tell you what the plan going forward would be. For now, try to avoid googling and speak to your mum if you feel able. If not, it may be worth speaking anonymously to e.g. Childline to get your worries off your chest. Hope your mum is feeling well, and hope the biopsy results will be good news.
Original post by black tea
Stop scaring OP. Their mother hasn't got the results of her biopsy yet, and you are telling them she will need a hysterectomy when there may be plenty of other explanations for her symptoms that are not cancer!

OP, I have not advice other than not to jump to conclusions and to just wait for the result of her biopsy. Once you get the results, you and your mum will get plenty of opportunities to ask questions and your doctor will tell you what the plan going forward would be. For now, try to avoid googling and speak to your mum if you feel able. If not, it may be worth speaking anonymously to e.g. Childline to get your worries off your chest. Hope your mum is feeling well, and hope the biopsy results will be good news.

Mind your own business!

How the hell was I scaring her, I'm actually giving her words of encouragement by telling her that even if it is bad news she will be able to get through it.

Thought I should let you know that it came back negative! Thank you all so so much xx
Thought I should let you know that it came back negative! Thank you all so so much xx

That's wonderful news. So pleased for you and your family. A great start to the New Year x

That's fantastic new :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest