The Student Room Group

Asking for references for jobs and application help!

I need two references that would cover the past three years for a healthcare job application, so I was wondering what's the best way to phrase it when asking through email? The form also includes address details of the referee, so do I need to ask my tutors for their address, or can I just put in my school? And, it says if the referee can be approached prior to the interview, but I don't yet know when (and if) my interview will be, so how do I ask them that?

Also, as a side question for application advice, should I put in my GCSE qualifications in job applications even though it's not explicitly requested, or just put in the most relevant qualifications for the job (and the ones I got a good grade in), as well as things like one-week work experience?

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Update: my tutor has responded back for the references, however, the problem is on the nhs health job application site, it only says to put in the contact details. And then, if I am selected, they might contact them. So how do I tell them that? As I'm sure they are a very busy person, and have said are happy to provide a reference. Should I just get it from them through email, or what?

Also, since it's an official application form website, their details will stay on there as my referee and therefore, they might be contacted any time I apply for an NHS role, but I'm not sure whether they want to provide a reference each time, so what do I do? And, on top of that, I still need another teacher's reference but they have not replied yet!

If anyone can help, please do comment.

Tagging @threeportdrift, as I really value your response and I'm sure you're very experienced on this front, in case you'd like to reply!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by moonstones
Update: my tutor has responded back for the references, however, the problem is on the nhs health job application site, it only says to put in the contact details. And then, if I am selected, they might contact them. So how do I tell them that? As I'm sure they are a very busy person, and have said are happy to provide a reference. Should I just get it from them through email, or what?

Also, since it's an official application form website, their details will stay on there as my referee and therefore, they might be contacted any time I apply for an NHS role, but I'm not sure whether they want to provide a reference each time, so what do I do? And, on top of that, I still need another teacher's reference but they have not replied yet!

If anyone can help, please do comment.

Tagging @threeportdrift, as I really value your response and I'm sure you're very experienced on this front, in case you'd like to reply!

That's entirely standard. You ask a person if they will be a referee for you - if you are applying for a lot of jobs, make it clear that you are applying for a range of jobs, but you don't have to give specific details. if they say yes, then confirm their contact details - you will need name, job title, phone number and work email.

You pass that information on to the employer - only when you are asked. Usually employers only take up references for the person they make an offer to - ie they make an offer subject to references, and ask if they can take up references at that point. However, some careers, certainly education, and maybe health roles, take up reference of everyone they invite to interview.

If your referee is your current employer (the one case where you don't have to ask permission to put them down as a referee, it is presumed you can use them, but you may not want them to know you are job hunting), then make sure you tick any box or say you don't want them contacting that referee without asking you for permission first. That way you can have a conversation with your current employer first.

You don't have anything to do with the reference transaction. Way back before home computers, sometimes a reference would be a physical letter your referee could give to you and you would pass on to the employer. However, employers no longer trust that, now that everyone has access to a computer and printer and can make up documents. So all you do is pass on contact details, then the employer contacts the referee directly when they need.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
That's entirely standard. You ask a person if they will be a referee for you - if you are applying for a lot of jobs, make it clear that you are applying for a range of jobs, but you don't have to give specific details. if they say yes, then confirm their contact details - you will need name, job title, phone number and work email.

You pass that information on to the employer - only when you are asked. Usually employers only take up references for the person they make an offer to - ie they make an offer subject to references, and ask if they can take up references at that point. However, some careers, certainly education, and maybe health roles, take up reference of everyone they invite to interview.

If your referee is your current employer (the one case where you don't have to ask permission to put them down as a referee, it is presumed you can use them, but you may not want them to know you are job hunting), then make sure you tick any box or say you don't want them contacting that referee without asking you for permission first. That way you can have a conversation with your current employer first.

You don't have anything to do with the reference transaction. Way back before home computers, sometimes a reference would be a physical letter your referee could give to you and you would pass on to the employer. However, employers no longer trust that, now that everyone has access to a computer and printer and can make up documents. So all you do is pass on contact details, then the employer contacts the referee directly when they need.

Thank you so much!

But basically, my referee is my University tutor, and they have only said 'I am happy to provide a reference'. My email was along the lines of asking them to 'act as my referee', since a reference was only required prior to the interview, after the selection process. I also unfortunately, did not mention that I'm applying to a range of jobs, but only that I am applying for a specific healthcare job, and that this reference was for that application.

So now, do I tell them all of that back, or just put their contact details in, or thank them in a response back?

Also, for the position I am applying in, they have a website where I need to put referee's contact details, or I can't submit or something like that. I have emailed the recruiter asking if I can delay putting in the referee's contact details, but I'm yet to receive a response.
Thank you so much!

But basically, my referee is my University tutor, and they have only said 'I am happy to provide a reference'. My email was along the lines of asking them to 'act as my referee', since a reference was only required prior to the interview, after the selection process. I also unfortunately, did not mention that I'm applying to a range of jobs, but only that I am applying for a specific healthcare job, and that this reference was for that application.

So now, do I tell them all of that back, or just put their contact details in, or thank them in a response back?

Also, for the position I am applying in, they have a website where I need to put referee's contact details, or I can't submit or something like that. I have emailed the recruiter asking if I can delay putting in the referee's contact details, but I'm yet to receive a response.

This is just standard relationship management. A university tutor is well used to giving references and almost no-one gets the first job they apply for, so they will churn out the same reference as much as they can anyway. Just put in their details- if they are your tutor you presumably have their name, job title, email and a phone number - even if that's the department plus an extension.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
This is just standard relationship management. A university tutor is well used to giving references and almost no-one gets the first job they apply for, so they will churn out the same reference as much as they can anyway. Just put in their details- if they are your tutor you presumably have their name, job title, email and a phone number - even if that's the department plus an extension.

OK, I will do that. I was just a bit worried as I don't want to make a bad impression or bother them or anything. Plus, I'd have no idea when they could ask for a reference, so if my tutor's busy, I'm not even sure if they'd be able to provide one.

Also, for references, does the company email the referee themselves to get the reference? Or is there never a case where the applicant gets the reference from the referee and then, sends it in, also in cases where I've seen people put in references on their CVs and stuff.
OK, I will do that. I was just a bit worried as I don't want to make a bad impression or bother them or anything. Plus, I'd have no idea when they could ask for a reference, so if my tutor's busy, I'm not even sure if they'd be able to provide one.

Also, for references, does the company email the referee themselves to get the reference? Or is there never a case where the applicant gets the reference from the referee and then, sends it in, also in cases where I've seen people put in references on their CVs and stuff.

No, the applicant never (usually) deals with the reference. The applicant gives the referees details to the employer and the employer goes straight to the referee for a reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending