The Student Room Group

What are easy and cheap things to cook?

So I absolutely despise cooking, have 0 knowledge or ability on it and don’t have the time to make things that take long to cook. But I am very fed up of eating just pasta, bread or frozen things - I ensure I have a “varied diet” in terms of I keep track I eat carbs, dairy, meat/other protein, veggies and fruit etc but these are mostly frozen things and honestly I am fed up of it. I’m quite fussy too, I don’t overly like many vegetables or sauces and I only really eat chicken out of meats (with some exceptions). I don’t know what else I can ‘make’ so I feel better. I also don’t have money to make anything fancy. Any suggestions so I stop being depressed at every meal time?
Original post by Anonymous
So I absolutely despise cooking, have 0 knowledge or ability on it and don’t have the time to make things that take long to cook. But I am very fed up of eating just pasta, bread or frozen things - I ensure I have a “varied diet” in terms of I keep track I eat carbs, dairy, meat/other protein, veggies and fruit etc but these are mostly frozen things and honestly I am fed up of it. I’m quite fussy too, I don’t overly like many vegetables or sauces and I only really eat chicken out of meats (with some exceptions). I don’t know what else I can ‘make’ so I feel better. I also don’t have money to make anything fancy. Any suggestions so I stop being depressed at every meal time?

Hey @Anonymous#1, how are you?

Like you, I’m quite a fussy eater, and when I first went to university I found it hard to make meals that I both liked, and could afford!

After a while I learnt that the best way to get around this is to plan your meals.

I would pick a few ingredients each week that I wanted to eat (e.g. a few types of vegetable), and then search for some meal ideas that included those ingredients. This would both minimise my waste and mean that I got the most out of my money allocated to my weekly shop.

To find your meal ideas just search online for quick and easy meals for inspiration, or you can even buy recipe books that are tailored to student life for a cheap price.

I hope this helps!

Konnie, postgraduate Creative Writing student 😊

you could try hello fresh all the meals are had the ingredients all ready measured out so there isn't so much prep time (or so I've herd I haven't used them myself). and they only take about 30mins to cook they even have a what they call quick cook range could be worth a look.
Reply 3
Original post by jonathanemptage
you could try hello fresh all the meals are had the ingredients all ready measured out so there isn't so much prep time (or so I've herd I haven't used them myself). and they only take about 30mins to cook they even have a what they call quick cook range could be worth a look.

Unfortunately those are much too expensive for a very broke student. I’ve got student recipe books but I don’t feel they are actually useful.

If you don't have much money, don't have much kitchen equipment, have zero interest in cooking, resent the time it would take to learn to cook and actually practice cooking (not to mention all the cleaning up after), then there is really very little point suggesting a load of recipes you could try. As you've already said, you don't think that your student recipe books are very useful and if you don't find those any good, then there's no point suggesting you get a 'full' cookbook which would require a load of pantry ingredients that you don't have, aren't interested in sourcing and probably won't use.

Pasta with pesto is quite nice... You can always chuck a bit of chicken in it. Cheap ready meals? Fish fingers?
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
If you don't have much money, don't have much kitchen equipment, have zero interest in cooking, resent the time it would take to learn to cook and actually practice cooking (not to mention all the cleaning up after), then there is really very little point suggesting a load of recipes you could try. As you've already said, you don't think that your student recipe books are very useful and if you don't find those any good, then there's no point suggesting you get a 'full' cookbook which would require a load of pantry ingredients that you don't have, aren't interested in sourcing and probably won't use.

Pasta with pesto is quite nice... You can always chuck a bit of chicken in it. Cheap ready meals? Fish fingers?

That’s what I mean I’m fed up of things like that. I miss home cooked meals but I don’t know how to make them myself, I’m not asking for cookbooks I’m asking for personal recipes from other students.
That’s what I mean I’m fed up of things like that. I miss home cooked meals but I don’t know how to make them myself, I’m not asking for cookbooks I’m asking for personal recipes from other students.

I see. Hopefully some students might have a few ideas for you then, but I think trying to recreate what you consider a 'home-cooked meal' might be stretching things a bit.

So best to learn a few things you can cook in bulk and shove portions in the deep freeze / fridge for later, its pretty much the same time to cook 4-6 portions of something like lasagna as it is to cook for one. On that note, lasagna and chicken stew are good for this, 30 mins prep time, longer to actually cook, but thats “hands off” time. Baked salmon is really easy as well, put salmon in foil with a bit of butter + lemon, stick in oven, come back 20 mins later.
You're fussy so you may dislike my suggestion, but the quickest and easiest meal I make on a maybe a fortnightly or so basis, is just chucking a can of mackerel in tomato sauce, and some grated cheddar, into a bowl of spaghetti.

Also, buy a slow cooker. Make a casserole. Bung in some casserole veg, boneless chicken thighs, chicken stock pot, and water. Cook on low for 8 hours. Then add chicken gravy granules and stir well.
Bob's your uncle - a hearty casserole.
(edited 2 years ago)
- chicken chasseur (get 70p colmans packet from asda, chicken fillet, veg, tomato pure, put in one big pot leave in oven to cook for an hour, then just put some rice on 15 mins before its done)
- pesto pasta with garlic bread ( i just cook pasta, fry some mushrooms and onion mix together with cheese and pesto sauce)
- chili con carnie
-bolgenese
- fajitas
- sweet and sour chicken with rice
- I sometimes get a frozen cheese pizza and pile on any left over veggies at the end of the week
- cheese on toast
- scrambled egg
- jacket potato with tuna sweetcorn, cheese on top, salad on side
- homemade wedges, just cut potatos and throw in over, season with salt and pepper and bit of oil
-pasta bake
-cheese and onion crispy bakes that come frozen, microwave rice and some salad
- halloumi salad with baby potatos with pesto on top

(I know most things i said have pasta sorry haha)

Hi there,

I hope you're well.

I love these types of posts, as I'm able to see what other people are eating and borrow other people's recipes!

There's some great suggestions above - but one thing that is really underrated is fish. You literally pop it in the oven, and then you can get on with some work until it's out of the oven and then it's pretty much ready! It's so convenient. As well, salads are also great as you can chuck anything in there and it pretty much always tastes yummy if it's got ceasar salad dressing on it! Be creative! I also follow a lot of quick and easy food accounts on social media too to help me vary my diet - maybe this could be something you do to?

Best of luck to you!

Ana :biggrin:
University of Liverpool Rep.
- chicken chasseur (get 70p colmans packet from asda, chicken fillet, veg, tomato pure, put in one big pot leave in oven to cook for an hour, then just put some rice on 15 mins before its done)
- pesto pasta with garlic bread ( i just cook pasta, fry some mushrooms and onion mix together with cheese and pesto sauce)
- chili con carnie
-bolgenese
- fajitas
- sweet and sour chicken with rice
- I sometimes get a frozen cheese pizza and pile on any left over veggies at the end of the week
- cheese on toast
- scrambled egg
- jacket potato with tuna sweetcorn, cheese on top, salad on side
- homemade wedges, just cut potatos and throw in over, season with salt and pepper and bit of oil
-pasta bake
-cheese and onion crispy bakes that come frozen, microwave rice and some salad
- halloumi salad with baby potatos with pesto on top

(I know most things i said have pasta sorry haha)

I used to make tuna pasta bake at uni I'd use 50% of the pasta they say top that up with can of tuna and add some cheese them I'd have some fruit or veg with it for lunch and/or supper it's really nice.

Your best bet is looking on tiktok or instagram. I follow this food account cheapstudentdinners, and i like the recipes i’ve tried so far. she does make pasta, but its not the same stuff and there’s a variety. She also puts the recipe in the description box but has them in the highlights too so you can screenshot them
Reply 13
Chicken is pretty cheap and easy if you never cooked before I’ll write a couple of dishes I rotate between through the week Chinese dish - cut and wash then fry ur chicken whack in some honey, chilli, soy sauce and five spice have a simple sweet and spicy dish Indian - same again but use some chilli powder nice if you fried some onions at the start maybe whack in tomatoes if you’re not too fussy French - sear a chicken breast / thighs add some garlic and butter then whack in the oven for about 12 minutes with a stock cube in the butter and you got a nice gravy dish Tbh the cost of the dish is about 2/3 quid per meal and all of them take less than 20 minutes can Go into more detail if u wanna message me privateRecommend watching Gordon’s simple meals on YouTube he got a playlist of simple meals that take 20 minutes and are cheap and easy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending