The Student Room Group

overweight, failing and depressed

I’m in my third year of uni and have no idea what i’m doing. I barely go to my lectures and find it so hard to get up. I work from home and spend most of the time at home. The thing is my parents used to be really strict on me and not let me go out and stuff and that’s really affected me. I’ve been overweight my whole life, very introverted and socially awkward. I’m barely passing uni to be honest and don’t even know how i made it to the final year. I used to be a really smart kid when i was younger but that’s not the same now. I don’t try hard in anything, i spend most of my days in bed watching netflix and scrolling through tiktok. Every year i tell myself i’ll fix up but the next day i’ll wake up and still nothing has changed i’m still living like this. This year i really want to work hard in uni get a first in my final year even tho i don’t think i can get an overall first (aiming for a 2:1), i want to lose weight, apply to do my pgce in a different city and just change in general for the better. But i have no idea where to start.
I would just advise you to take one day at a time, maybe start one paper today and write a checklist. :smile:
Would u not like to go on anti depressants it sounds like your extremely depressed.Slowly day by day take things as it goes , to be honest well done for making it to the third year of uni I’m proud of you! You just need to make it to the finish line now.
Original post by Anonymous
Would u not like to go on anti depressants it sounds like your extremely depressed.Slowly day by day take things as it goes , to be honest well done for making it to the third year of uni I’m proud of you! You just need to make it to the finish line now.

To be fair I'm a third year student also and can relate to OP.

Please don't stress yourself out worrying about marks. The main thing you can do here is pass, because it is an achievement to graduate in the first place!
Reply 4

tbh i’ve never thought about taking antidepressants mainly bcs my ethnic parents are so against using pills and stuff. How do i go about it tho? do i just go to the go and tell them my symptoms?
I understand with ethic parents I feel likes it better not to tell them and just go to the doctors and list your symptoms and that you feel like your depressed
tbh i’ve never thought about taking antidepressants mainly bcs my ethnic parents are so against using pills and stuff. How do i go about it tho? do i just go to the go and tell them my symptoms?

Go to your GP explain your symptoms, they’ll probably refer you for counselling first. As antidepressants can have adverse side effects. Ask your uni student support for help too, they’ll be able to offer assistance.
I’m in my third year of uni and have no idea what i’m doing. I barely go to my lectures and find it so hard to get up. I work from home and spend most of the time at home. The thing is my parents used to be really strict on me and not let me go out and stuff and that’s really affected me. I’ve been overweight my whole life, very introverted and socially awkward. I’m barely passing uni to be honest and don’t even know how i made it to the final year. I used to be a really smart kid when i was younger but that’s not the same now. I don’t try hard in anything, i spend most of my days in bed watching netflix and scrolling through tiktok. Every year i tell myself i’ll fix up but the next day i’ll wake up and still nothing has changed i’m still living like this. This year i really want to work hard in uni get a first in my final year even tho i don’t think i can get an overall first (aiming for a 2:1), i want to lose weight, apply to do my pgce in a different city and just change in general for the better. But i have no idea where to start.

The first thing to do would be go to uni if you walk there that's light bit of exercise too and if it's a brisk well that's even better. Try to avoid the fatty foods like crisps or chocolate. there are loads of apps that might help like the WW app. You should also go on a diet you'll loose weight and feel better in your self if you take a little exercise too so go to a gym talk to a personal trainer about if you want to loose weight he'll be able to recommend exercises that will help along with your diet.(diet chef looks good so try that) some people say that once they started exercising their depression reduced or went completely try the 3,12, 30 (I saw it on tic tok) you set a treadmill to 3 mph at 12 degree incline for 30 mins try it for a month it seems to really work for fat loss talk to the councillors at uni as well they will have seen it all before and might be able to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending