The Student Room Group

How do I revise for French Writing (higher)?

I've got my french writing mock and due to the work load I've had to fit revision in for the night before but now I'm here I'm panicking what to do. I know the structure I need but how I do learn enough to not look at the question and go 'omg I have no idea what this means or how to answer it!' I can easily get high marks if I use my book - it's just remebering how to use grammar and how to make sense out of it.
Original post by Nieve_2006
I've got my french writing mock and due to the work load I've had to fit revision in for the night before but now I'm here I'm panicking what to do. I know the structure I need but how I do learn enough to not look at the question and go 'omg I have no idea what this means or how to answer it!' I can easily get high marks if I use my book - it's just remebering how to use grammar and how to make sense out of it.

im hoping that its AQA GCSE French? Because I can help if it is, if its a-levels then no can do.
Reply 2
Yeah it is GCSE french. I did it today and it didn't go too badly.

Original post by JA03
im hoping that its AQA GCSE French? Because I can help if it is, if its a-levels then no can do.
Original post by Nieve_2006
Yeah it is GCSE french. I did it today and it didn't go too badly

AQA wants a 150 word to only contain relevant information, topic specific vocab and at least 2 justified opinions per point. Be sure to use 3 connectives per paragraph as well.

90 word
at least 1 opinion and 1 connective per paragraph and keep the paragraphs to 25 words at most.

lmk if you want more tips. (i got an 8 in GCSE french)
Reply 4
hi!i'm doing aqa gcse french (and considering doing it for a level too), and i've got mocks coming up. any tips on how to revise for writing and listening specifically? i would say that they are the ones i struggle with most.-thanks
Original post by lbarnes4
hi!i'm doing aqa gcse french (and considering doing it for a level too), and i've got mocks coming up. any tips on how to revise for writing and listening specifically? i would say that they are the ones i struggle with most.-thanks

writing: 90 word para
- 25 words per point
- overall, have at least 3 opinion phrases (e.g. je pense que, j'ai le passion pour, j'ai horreur de, je dirais que)
- have at least 3 connectives (cependent, autrefois, etc)
- be sure to have 3 tenses (past present and future, conditional is really good too (having a 4th tense can bring your language mark up)
- have topic specific vocab

150 word para
- 75 words per point
- have at least 2 justified opinions per point (adding someone else's opinion; 'selon...' would bring your mark up)
- have a lot of topic specific vocabulary (No repetition, AQA hate that)
- make sure what you're saying is relevant
- make a plan at the back of your writing booklet so you know what to write (make it brief, because you need time) and cross it out at the end so the exam board doesn't mistake it for actual work (due to computers marking it)

listening:
- positive/negative Qs; if you hear 'trop', its negative, if you hear something like 'mais', 'cependent', etc then it's positive and negative
- any questions that ask to write the answer in French, just write what you hear, don't bother translating it.
- if the question is in French, answer in French and vice versa.
- when it's a question with 4/5 people (checkbox question) and it asks what their opinions were or something, LISTEN CAREFULLY - these questions were designed to trick you because they may put someone else's opinion (like 'his/her brother'/'their parents') so listen carefully for their opinion.

You're lucky that you do AQA because the listening exam allows you to have 5 minutes to look through the paper and make notes, make notes ON EVERY question such as what you may hear, words that can help identify the answer, etc. using the 5 minutes before the listening track starts is your time to be strategic and make the most of what you can do.

p.s. if you ever want me to look at a writing practice piece that you've done and want me to give it a score, just let me know and I'll do it.

hope this helps!
Original post by JA03
AQA wants a 150 word to only contain relevant information, topic specific vocab and at least 2 justified opinions per point. Be sure to use 3 connectives per paragraph as well.

90 word
at least 1 opinion and 1 connective per paragraph and keep the paragraphs to 25 words at most.

lmk if you want more tips. (i got an 8 in GCSE french)

Hi so I did a french listening past paper and I got 20/50 which a 5 in the raw grade boundaries and a 4 in the scaled grade boundaries
I have a listening mock tomoz any tips?
Would really like to achieve at least a 6/7 for listening rn
Original post by 4liferzz
Hi so I did a french listening past paper and I got 20/50 which a 5 in the raw grade boundaries and a 4 in the scaled grade boundaries
I have a listening mock tomoz any tips?
Would really like to achieve at least a 6/7 for listening rn

listening is the hardest exam you can possibly take, so here's the tips
- usually listening exams will start with a 5 minute time span to make some notes around questions so you can identify the answers.
- Like I said, for positive and negative questions, listen for 'trop' which will identify a negative, listen for 'mais', 'cependent' which identifies positive and negative then the rest is most likely positive.
- listen for the pronouns in opinion questions such as je, il/elle, nous, vous, because you want to make sure that you get the opinion of the person speaking, they may trick you by saying 'mon', 'ma', 'ses' instead of what you're looking for.
- If the question is in French, answer in French, do not waste time trying to translate it in your head - just write what you hear for these questions
- each statement/opinion/sub-question will be repeated twice so what you didn't get the first time around, listen for those instead of focusing on the whole thing again.
- if you feel like you didn't get the whole answer then still write what you can, you can still get marks for this.

- try doing some past papers, lmk if you want me to mark them or if you want help with any other French exams - if its any consolation, I got 24/46 in my listening and still got an 8 overall in French so not all is lost.
Original post by JA03
listening is the hardest exam you can possibly take, so here's the tips
- usually listening exams will start with a 5 minute time span to make some notes around questions so you can identify the answers.
- Like I said, for positive and negative questions, listen for 'trop' which will identify a negative, listen for 'mais', 'cependent' which identifies positive and negative then the rest is most likely positive.
- listen for the pronouns in opinion questions such as je, il/elle, nous, vous, because you want to make sure that you get the opinion of the person speaking, they may trick you by saying 'mon', 'ma', 'ses' instead of what you're looking for.
- If the question is in French, answer in French, do not waste time trying to translate it in your head - just write what you hear for these questions
- each statement/opinion/sub-question will be repeated twice so what you didn't get the first time around, listen for those instead of focusing on the whole thing again.
- if you feel like you didn't get the whole answer then still write what you can, you can still get marks for this.

- try doing some past papers, lmk if you want me to mark them or if you want help with any other French exams - if its any consolation, I got 24/46 in my listening and still got an 8 overall in French so not all is lost.

tysmmm
honestly please can you make a thread on how you got an 8 in french in general I just know it would help so many ppl
tysmmm
honestly please can you make a thread on how you got an 8 in french in general I just know it would help so many ppl

i wish i could but nobody would actually reply to it or watch it. I’d love to make a thread on how to get an 8 in french though.
Original post by JA03
i wish i could but nobody would actually reply to it or watch it. I’d love to make a thread on how to get an 8 in french though.

I would and everyone this thread would trust me

Alright I’ll do it.

'How to get an 8 in GCSE French (can apply to Spanish too)' is what the thread is called. Let your friends know too!
Original post by JA03
writing: 90 word para
- 25 words per point
- overall, have at least 3 opinion phrases (e.g. je pense que, j'ai le passion pour, j'ai horreur de, je dirais que)
- have at least 3 connectives (cependent, autrefois, etc)
- be sure to have 3 tenses (past present and future, conditional is really good too (having a 4th tense can bring your language mark up)
- have topic specific vocab

150 word para
- 75 words per point
- have at least 2 justified opinions per point (adding someone else's opinion; 'selon...' would bring your mark up)
- have a lot of topic specific vocabulary (No repetition, AQA hate that)
- make sure what you're saying is relevant
- make a plan at the back of your writing booklet so you know what to write (make it brief, because you need time) and cross it out at the end so the exam board doesn't mistake it for actual work (due to computers marking it)

listening:
- positive/negative Qs; if you hear 'trop', its negative, if you hear something like 'mais', 'cependent', etc then it's positive and negative
- any questions that ask to write the answer in French, just write what you hear, don't bother translating it.
- if the question is in French, answer in French and vice versa.
- when it's a question with 4/5 people (checkbox question) and it asks what their opinions were or something, LISTEN CAREFULLY - these questions were designed to trick you because they may put someone else's opinion (like 'his/her brother'/'their parents') so listen carefully for their opinion.

You're lucky that you do AQA because the listening exam allows you to have 5 minutes to look through the paper and make notes, make notes ON EVERY question such as what you may hear, words that can help identify the answer, etc. using the 5 minutes before the listening track starts is your time to be strategic and make the most of what you can do.

p.s. if you ever want me to look at a writing practice piece that you've done and want me to give it a score, just let me know and I'll do it.

hope this helps!

thanks so much for this help!! do you have an email address to send writing practise to if i end up doing some? no worries if not 😊
Original post by lbarnes4
thanks so much for this help!! do you have an email address to send writing practise to if i end up doing some? no worries if not 😊

yeah I do! just pm for it because I don't want the whole world sending me their writing pieces.
Reply 15
Original post by JA03
yeah I do! just pm for it because I don't want the whole world sending me their writing pieces.

Hiya, just want to say that I've read through loads of your advice threads on TSR for french speaking + reading and they've been really helpful, thank u very much!!!
Original post by graccd_
Hiya, just want to say that I've read through loads of your advice threads on TSR for french speaking + reading and they've been really helpful, thank u very much!!!

Oh! I'm pleased my advise has helped you. I didn't think a lot of people saw my threads to be fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending