The Student Room Group

How can I stop being bitter about this? Qualifications don’t seem to equal pay

My cousin is the same age as me and has a diploma in business, been working on and off through his life. He rents a house owned by his mum (my aunt) but she’s been paying it for a while as he hasn’t been in work.
He has been on furlough for the best part of 2 years and has just got a job with a salary of £38000 working from home.

Ive been qualified as a health worker for several years and earn £29000 yet have worked all through the pandemic full time (I still feel I need a break). I don’t mean to feel sorry for myself or anything lol but I feel a bit bitter cause of the above (though I’m
Pleased for him too).

Guess I just need a different perspective but being 100% honest I do feel jelous. It doesn’t help that my aunt keeps telling everyone and my mum keeps saying how he’s done well it’s more than qualified nurses etc
They're prob praising your cousin more because they've had those times where they know he's a deadbeat and have little praises to sing. They prob need their ego stroked more to prevent a relapse to lazy unemployment.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
They're prob praising your cousin more because they've had those times where they know he's a deadbeat and have little praises to sing. They prob need their ego stroked more to prevent a relapse to lazy unemployment.

It’s not the praise it’s the salary that makes me jelous. I know this is nasty of me but I’m being honest at least 😄
Try to focus on all the positives in your own life and your future ambitions. :smile:
All your happy memories, friends, hobbies that you enjoy, plans for after the pandemic is over, the patients that you have helped and all the good that you have done in your work & private life over the last few careers.

Life is too short to waste your valuable time on negative and destructive emotions like bitterness, hate, jealousy or rage.
Don't waste your time comparing yourself with other people who are mostly irrelevant to your future.
Nor listening to the bragging and lazy comparisons of gossipy relatives who would be unlikely to cope with 18hours doing your job during the pandemic let alone 20 months.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
It’s not the praise it’s the salary that makes me jelous. I know this is nasty of me but I’m being honest at least 😄

Money will come and go. Long term I have a lot more respect for carers than money. Any jackass can luck into money, far fewer have the mettle to consistently support and care (no matter what you paid them)

Your cousin did business and has a business focus to his career.
You chose to be a healthcare worker.

Your cousin earns significantly more than you.

Not seeing what's surprising here, to be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Your cousin did business and has a business focus to his career.
You chose to be a healthcare worker.

Your cousin earns significantly more than you.

Not seeing what's surprising here, to be honest.

He did a business diploma (said he did it to avoid work for 2 years lol) but it’s IT he has always worked in , it’s something I’ve never understood but his last job was I think web trade executive not sure what this is but I think it’s similar. I don’t know much about business/IT really I work physio which is a totally different entity though I do seem to be spending more and more time on a computor as they keep adding extra admin work!
He did a business diploma (said he did it to avoid work for 2 years lol) but it’s IT he has always worked in , it’s something I’ve never understood but his last job was I think web trade executive not sure what this is but I think it’s similar. I don’t know much about business/IT really I work physio which is a totally different entity though I do seem to be spending more and more time on a computor as they keep adding extra admin work!

Yes - I know AHP careers seem to involve an awful lot of computerised records and other time spent typing!
You are are physio. Why not do private work in addition to (or instead of?) your NHS work? Surely that would help you earn more?
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
You are are physio. Why not do private work in addition to (or instead of?) your NHS work? Surely that would help you earn more?

I plan to eventually but I’ve not got much experience in the musculoskeletal (treating injury) area yet. Im currently getting broader experience (in the hospital) in my rotational post rotational job and am hoping they will place me in msk outpatients for a while yet.
Reply 10
welcome to capitalism
I plan to eventually but I’ve not got much experience in the musculoskeletal (treating injury) area yet. Im currently getting broader experience (in the hospital) in my rotational post rotational job and am hoping they will place me in msk outpatients for a while yet.

If you are quite inexperienced, you must have only graduated fairly recently, in which case you salary is not bad at all.
Original post by black tea
If you are quite inexperienced, you must have only graduated fairly recently, in which case you salary is not bad at all.

No I worked in learning disabilities for a few years when I qualified then decided to do rotations, had to take a pay cut. It’s musculoskeletal outpatients I’m inexperienced in
That's how the world works, unfortunately.
People working in the healthcare or the education sector do not get enough credit for what they do.
You need to play the longer game.

You have changed roles and are building up experience which will get you to higher pay levels.

You work in a different industry and are probably more junior in your chosen career.

If you want higher pay in the long run you may need to revisit the industry you are working in.

But work is not just about pay it is also about quality of working life and work satisfaction.

Learn to be happy with what you have or make the necessary changes.

Some people with high paying jobs suffer badly from stress and mental health issues.
The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending