The Student Room Group

North Shropshire by-election

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starship Trooper
Also there's nothing "Centrist" or "moderate" about the Tory lockdowns, net zero schtick and profligate spending.

Dealing with the pandemic should be outside politics, it's like a war. The way Tory libertarians have tried to turn it into a political dogfight about supposed freedom issues has been a disaster electorally for them.
Lib Dems are good at winning by election seats, far less good at holding them during elections.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Dealing with the pandemic should be outside politics, it's like a war.

The way Tory libertarians have tried to turn it into a political dogfight about supposed freedom issues has been a disaster electorally for them.

Nope nothings outside politics. "Apolitical" technocrats are often the biggest ideologues. "Bipartisanship" almost always leads to terrible decision. Eg how both sides voted for Iraq and Afghanistan smashing success right? !:rolleyes:

Really, do you have any proof of that?
Eh I agree with you...

I stand corrected
Firstly we must congratulate the Lib Dem's on a 34% swing.

Secondly I would avoid getting too excited. When you look at the raw numbers it looks like most of the additional votes came from Labour and about 15000 Tories stayed home. That suggests a fair chance that it will go back blue come the harsh reality of a serious general election vote.
Good
Original post by nulli tertius
One thing occurs to me. What PL football club do folk from North Shropshire support Liverpool or Everton or one of the Manchester clubs? Boris still has a very severe Liverpool problem.

There's lots of Wolves (remember Wolverhampton isn't far away at all!), Aston Villa and Birmingham City as well as Liverpool and Manchester teams. (Plus Shrewsbury Town and TNS!)

Not sure that's hugely politically significant mind...
Yes, I meant as a percentage.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my theory that a great many Tory voters sat on their hands. The Tory vote fell by 23,412 from 2019. The LibDems put on 12,314 votes, but Lab lost 8,809 votes, which on a narrow reading suggests that only around 4,000 Tory voters switched sides. However, it is of course likely that a lot of Lab voters, seeing it as a no hoper, also stayed at home. Even if half did that, that would still mean only around 8,000 Tories actively switched, indicating that some 15 or 16 thousand stayed at home.

I'm sure the parties will be pouring over their canvassing returns, but on the face of it this is not quite such bad news for the Conservatives as it seems, since voters that don't actively switch can be persuaded back to the polls in a general election provided they have a big change of leadership. However I'm quite certain the result dooms Johnson.

I'd be very surprised if the Lib Dems can hang onto the seat at the next GE when they can't throw all their (fairly sizeable) resources at it, absolutely. (Last time I checked, the Lib Dem and Tory memberships were of a comparable size.) I really think this is about where the government is headed if it sticks on its current trajectory and led by the same people.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
There's lots of Wolves (remember Wolverhampton isn't far away at all!), Aston Villa and Birmingham City as well as Liverpool and Manchester teams. (Plus Shrewsbury Town and TNS!)

Not sure that's hugely politically significant mind...

Thanks.

It is politically significant on the Wirral and in the leafy Liverpool suburbs where unlike the rest of the North, the Tories had no breakthrough at all. That is almost certainly due to personal hostility to Boris.
Reply 88
Depends what exactly you mean by liberal. But in any case, protest vote.

Yeah but you and people like you have been banging that drum for fifty years.

Along with ,"the Tories are going to privatise the NHS any minute now!!!1!!!"

Also there's nothing "Centrist" or "moderate" about the Tory lockdowns, net zero schtick and profligate spending.

If you actually look at the NHS, there certainly is ans has been gradually increasing private sector involvement for several years.
Original post by Rakas21
Firstly we must congratulate the Lib Dem's on a 34% swing.

Secondly I would avoid getting too excited. When you look at the raw numbers it looks like most of the additional votes came from Labour and about 15000 Tories stayed home. That suggests a fair chance that it will go back blue come the harsh reality of a serious general election vote.

John Curtice was just saying on BBC radio that if this result was projected to a general election, the Tories would have 3 seats. :lol:
John Curtice was just saying on BBC radio that if this result was projected to a general election, the Tories would have 3 seats. :lol:

And if Boris poses naked apart from his MA gown that may happen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

And if Boris poses naked apart from his MA gown that may happen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Canadian_federal_election

Not something many of us would like to see.
I hate the conservatives, I also hate labour, I could not vote for them in good conscience. Lid dems are also scum in my book but at least they are pretty much a breath of fresh stench- vote Lib Dem at the next election.
Thanks.

It is politically significant on the Wirral and in the leafy Liverpool suburbs where unlike the rest of the North, the Tories had no breakthrough at all. That is almost certainly due to personal hostility to Boris.

I'm not sure that's necessarily linked to the football team per se though, it's more complicated than that on Merseyside.

Shropshire most certainly isn't Merseyside though, politically or otherwise we're talking about Ellesmere not Ellesmere Port! :tongue:
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I hate the conservatives, I also hate labour, I could not vote for them in good conscience. Lid dems are also scum in my book but at least they are pretty much a breath of fresh stench- vote Lib Dem at the next election.

The fine old english electoral politics tradition of tactically voting for the candidate of the party disliked the least. :biggrin:
I'm not lending Boris my vote again in his constituency again and I'll never vote Labour or Sinn Fein.
Won't vote Lib Dem while Ed Davey is leader.
Looks like The Official Monster Raving Loony Party or DUP may be getting my vote next election, solely for being honest about their insane politics. :tongue:
@Cancelled Alice and @londonmyst

Why not the Reform Party?
Original post by londonmyst
The fine old english electoral politics tradition of tactically voting for the candidate of the party disliked the least. :biggrin:
I'm not lending Boris my vote again in his constituency again and I'll never vote Labour or Sinn Fein.
Won't vote Lib Dem while Ed Davey is leader.
Looks like The Official Monster Raving Loony Party or DUP may be getting my vote next election, solely for being honest about their insane politics. :tongue:

Is it a straight DUP/Sinn Fein fight where you are?
Is it a straight DUP/Sinn Fein fight where you are?

Yes.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.

:console:
@Cancelled Alice and @londonmyst

Why not the Reform Party?

Too new and too small.
Unlikely to make much of an impact within London or Northern Ireland over the next 1-4 years.
Most likely to fill the protest vote gulf left by the decline of the The Independent Group for Change/Change UK and ukip's years of internal squabbling & habit of voting in a collection of mostly obnoxious jerk leaders one after the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending