The Student Room Group

I dont have the Alevels required and can I go to uni in September with May resits?

My main goal is to go to university in September and study paramedic science at Sheffield Halam or liverpool John Moores. However I will need B B B. I don't mind doing a foundation year but
I dont think there is an option for this.

Should I resit some A levels. I was thinking resitting chemistry in May and try and get a grade B and hope that will be enough and then learn an "easy"/less hard A level from scratch like Phycology to bump my ucas points up and take an exam in May for this as well. I will put 100% effort in as I have no options left and if I fail I have nothing. Its All or nothing. I have to do it. My schedule is completely free till May.

I can apply to some unis before the deadline of 26 Jan and hopefully get a conditional offer at liverpool or sheffield but then also then go through clearing in August if I have to.

My qualifications are

A levels
U chemistry
E maths
D Physics

GCSEs
Maths 8
physics 8
biology 8
chemistry 7
geography 6
music 4
religion 5
English language 7
Englsh lit 6

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I could be wrong, but I can’t imagine you’d get offers with those grades. You could still apply though and then if you get good grades in your resits just go through clearing, you may even get into LMJU or SH that way.
Your chances of getting good grades from something as complicated as either Chemistry or Psychology after only a few months study is essentially nil. And you cant just 'stack' UCAS points from taking/retaking endless exams - Unis will only count your best 3 subjects. And you'll need some 'care' or other relevant work experience for paramedic science before you apply.
What do you think I should do ? As I really want to become a paramedic and go to uni aswell.
Original post by jagermeisterrr
What do you think I should do ? As I really want to become a paramedic and go to uni aswell.

Get a paid job in the care sector - care home, special school, hospice etc - for a year and work out if you have the apptitude/patience for this sort of work. Do a relevant science based 1 year Access to HE or HNC course and work hard to get the high grades required. Go to some Uni Open Days and listen to the subject talks about Paramedic courses - these are usually held between March and July, check on each relevant Uni website. Then apply for Uni in autumn 2022 for Sept 2023 entry. And if you are thinking 'I can't be bothered to do all of that' then rethink this as a career.
Original post by McGinger
Get a paid job in the care sector - care home, special school, hospice etc - for a year and work out if you have the apptitude/patience for this sort of work. Do a relevant science based 1 year Access to HE or HNC course and work hard to get the high grades required. Go to some Uni Open Days and listen to the subject talks about Paramedic courses - these are usually held between March and July, check on each relevant Uni website. Then apply for Uni in autumn 2022 for Sept 2023 entry. And if you are thinking 'I can't be bothered to do all of that' then rethink this as a career.

I can start an science access course now and complete it late July. Would I still be able to go to university this September?
Reply 6
I can start an science access course now and complete it late July. Would I still be able to go to university this September?

How are you planning on completing a 1 year access course by July?
Original post by jayls
How are you planning on completing a 1 year access course by July?

There's a distancelearningcentre.com and do an access to higher education diploma(paramedic science) option 1
And I think you complete it at your own pace as it's mostly course work
And it says you can complete it in 6 months but I'm gonna see if I can complete it faster. I'm gonna call them tomorrow.
Reply 8
There's a distancelearningcentre.com and do an access to higher education diploma(paramedic science) option 1
And it says you can complete it in 6 months but I'm gonna see if I can complete it faster. I'm gonna call them tomorrow.

Access to HE course results are moderated in May/June. To start university this September you would have to finish before then. You also won’t get predicted grades from it if you’re doing it online and starting it 2 weeks before applying to university, so universities will have no idea whether or not you’ll meet their grade requirements.
Original post by jayls
Access to HE course results are moderated in May/June. To start university this September you would have to finish before then. You also won’t get predicted grades from it if you’re doing it online and starting it 2 weeks before applying to university, so universities will have no idea whether or not you’ll meet their grade requirements.

Thanks for your answer. Will I be able to go through clearing though for this year?
Thanks for your answer. Will I be able to go through clearing though for this year?

You need to accept that realistically you need to take a gap year to make a competitive application. Unless you retake this year and get good results and go through clearing, and somehow in between all that get relevant work experience during the continuing coronavirus pandemic...

Start planning for what you're going to do next academic year to enable you to apply during the next application cycle, rather than trying to cram everything in this year, halfway through the academic year.
I doubt paramedic science will be in clearing because it is a competitive course and it is also quite a 'safe' profession regarding economic climate.

You are going to have to take a gap year and prepare yourself for the application, which includes grades and work experience. This is not an application to be rushed and not a career to rush into.

My other query is - what happened at A level? Because you had solid GCSE grades which do not really match up to the A level grades you received.
Reply 12

Possibly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by one_two_three
I doubt paramedic science will be in clearing because it is a competitive course and it is also quite a 'safe' profession regarding economic climate.

You are going to have to take a gap year and prepare yourself for the application, which includes grades and work experience. This is not an application to be rushed and not a career to rush into.

My other query is - what happened at A level? Because you had solid GCSE grades which do not really match up to the A level grades you received.

For my alevels I found it really difficult to learn during lockdown and I just gave up and didn't try at all, I didn't even open my final physics exam paper. I wasn't in the right state of mind at all. But I really regret not trying harder as I was capable of doing it. I don't know what happened 😔

Since I finished college I have just been working at McDonald's being miserable and I want to change my life around now.
For my alevels I found it really difficult to learn during lockdown and I just gave up and didn't try at all, I didn't even open my final physics exam paper. I wasn't in the right state of mind at all. But I really regret not trying harder as I was capable of doing it. I don't know what happened 😔

Since I finished college I have just been working at McDonald's being miserable and I want to change my life around now.

I would just be wary if it was down to mental health whether this is the right job. In my opinion, paramedics go into some of the worst situations and there is a lot of death in the role and a lot of trauma which can have a real affect on people. So if your mental health has suffered in the past then this could be quite a triggering occupation and one that requires some serious thought.

If this is the sort of career that you do want to pursue, and mental health is not a consideration, then it is going to be something you will need to take another year to complete the qualifications and experience for. Alternatively, the Army medic role can offer more action although I am not sure on the entry requirements. But if what you are wanting is a complete change to your life now then it may be something to look at?
My main goal is to go to university in September and study paramedic science at Sheffield Halam or liverpool John Moores. However I will need B B B. I don't mind doing a foundation year but
I dont think there is an option for this.

Should I resit some A levels. I was thinking resitting chemistry in May and try and get a grade B and hope that will be enough and then learn an "easy"/less hard A level from scratch like Phycology to bump my ucas points up and take an exam in May for this as well. I will put 100% effort in as I have no options left and if I fail I have nothing. Its All or nothing. I have to do it. My schedule is completely free till May.

I can apply to some unis before the deadline of 26 Jan and hopefully get a conditional offer at liverpool or sheffield but then also then go through clearing in August if I have to.

My qualifications are

A levels
U chemistry
E maths
D Physics

GCSEs
Maths 8
physics 8
biology 8
chemistry 7
geography 6
music 4
religion 5
English language 7
Englsh lit 6

Hi there,

As others have said, an Access to Higher Education may be the way forward if you haven't got the grades you had wished for. They take one year and would be started this September to finish June time next year. However, the course does have fees which were around £3k when I undertook mine. You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the course fee but you must be 19+ to apply for this which would delay you even further.

Have you spoken to your college provider about taking your second year again? Many colleges do allow you to complete 3 years with them, especially to get the grades you want to achieve. They may have a guidance counsellor or careers advisor who also may be able to help.

I hope you manage to figure this out and please let me know if you have any further questions regarding Access courses as I have plenty first-hand experience in relation to this - Mel :smile:
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,

As others have said, an Access to Higher Education may be the way forward if you haven't got the grades you had wished for. They take one year and would be started this September to finish June time next year. However, the course does have fees which were around £3k when I undertook mine. You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the course fee but you must be 19+ to apply for this which would delay you even further.

Have you spoken to your college provider about taking your second year again? Many colleges do allow you to complete 3 years with them, especially to get the grades you want to achieve. They may have a guidance counsellor or careers advisor who also may be able to help.

I hope you manage to figure this out and please let me know if you have any further questions regarding Access courses as I have plenty first-hand experience in relation to this - Mel :smile:

I got in touch with www.distancelearningcentre.com and I can potentially do the science higher education as I already know most of the content and I can finish in May. Is this legit? And will universities accept this? They come up under education places on the UCAS application

You're being unrealistic if you think you can start an Access course now and do well enough on it to get onto a competitive course at uni starting this September. You have made some poor decisions in the past - this time you should take the good advice from people on this thread and apply for Access to Science courses starting this September because in the long run you are more likely to achieve your goal if you plan it all out properly and allow yourself enough time to succeed.
I got in touch with www.distancelearningcentre.com and I can potentially do the science higher education as I already know most of the content and I can finish in May. Is this legit? And will universities accept this? They come up under education places on the UCAS application

Sheffield Hallam specifically list their Access requirements on this page:

https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/paramedic-science/bsc-honours-paramedic-science/full-time

"Access to HE Diploma from a QAA recognised Access to HE course in health studies, health science, nursing or another science-based course. Normally we require 15 of the level 3 credits to be graded at distinction with 9 of these distinctions from natural science units."

If other unis aren't as transparent, then you need to call them, (no point emailing at this time of year), and ask if they will accept that specific Access course for that specific programme at their uni.

Also of note for SH, (and why McGinger's advice is top notch):

"Experience of interacting with members of the public from a range of backgrounds in different settings is essential when applying to a health or social care course. This is so you will have an understanding of the diversity of the population who access health and social care. It is important to be able to understand and explain how your experiences relate to the activities and qualities which are required for the profession at your interview."

If you're not hell bent on going to uni, another route into becoming a paramedic is a degree apprenticeship. If you struggled with motivation during your A levels, this might be a better way in for you. The following is taken from the NHS web site:

Degree apprenticeship/student paramedic
Some ambulance trusts offer the option of studying whilst you work and each will set its own entry requirements. They usually ask for:
at least five GCSEs, grade 4/C or above, including English, maths and science>
or
equivalent academic qualification with a high level of health or science content.
Employers will look for a good level of physical fitness and two years' driving experience. The recruitment process often involves several stages of interviews, tests, fitness assessments and driving tasks. Your employer and the government will pay any fees, so apprenticeships aren’t eligible for student grants but you will get paid a salary.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/roles-allied-health-professions/paramedic/paramedic?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9qOBhC-ARIsAG-rdn6KUH42BzhlZChRBtLf2WsvIQ-FC9Hc2s_XbozCvGoxiTKtsQ56TiQaAplFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest