The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What is the university of nottingham actually like?

Hi!

I have applied to study psychology with cognitive neuroscience at UoN, and it's my first choice university. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like studying there generally? recently i have heard that its losing a lot of its good reputation? but I'm not sure how true that is and i'd like to hear from both sides if possible!

i have also applied to southampton (offer received), Essex (offer received) Reading (offer received) and St Andrews (waiting)

many thanks in advance!
I haven't heard about it losing its academic reputation, it is still a very research-heavy prestigious university. Obviously, I am biased because I go there. One area it does suffer in is student satisfaction but this is definitely more down to the 'admin' side of the University than the academic. E.g. the Vice-chancellor and policies towards covid have been quite lackluster.

On a personal note, I absolutely love UoN. The teaching in my opinion is to a very high standard and I constantly feel pushed and challenged academically with always more directions to go in. Furthermore, being a campus university with a massive student population there is a real sense of community and excellent student life with hundreds of societies and activities to take part in.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mah1000000
I haven't heard about it losing its academic reputation, it is still a very research-heavy prestigious university. Obviously, I am biased because I go there. One area it does suffer in is student satisfaction but this is definitely more down to the 'admin' side of the University than the academic. E.g. the Vice-chancellor and policies towards covid have been quite lackluster.

On a personal note, I absolutely love UoN. The teaching in my opinion is to a very high standard and I constantly feel pushed and challenged academically with always more directions to go in. Furthermore, being a campus university with a massive student population there is a real sense of community and excellent student life with hundreds of societies and activities to take part in.

Thank you for replying!

I did have my doubts about the rumours, so I'm glad to have heard a different opinion. People have said it's becoming notoriously a party university and losing its prestige as a Russel group. But I've always been of the impression that it still ranks highly and has good student satisfaction rates, so it didn't bother me too much.

I'm glad to know that there's academic challenge and a sense of community, the latter being what I really admire about UoN (I'd hate to be somewhere that feels isolated, it would make university even harder..)

Again, thank you for taking time to reply! Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 3
i also haven't heard about UoN losing its reputation as a russel group, the staff are all very dedicated to their teaching in my experience and the university hasn't lost its research-based focus. obviously the pandemic made things difficult and the response from notts at first left much to be desired, but they eventually found a way to balance things out. we often get emails updating us on the uni's approach to the pandemic and information about testing, so we're very much in the loop with it all now compared to the start of the pandemic.

i would say that student feedback is not often taken on board by admin, but teachers usually listen to feedback regarding their classes and act accordingly to improve. of course it varies by department, but most people i know from across the university have had positive experiences.

and overall it is just a really nice campus with a real community feel! there are lots of beautiful places to go on walks (the big lake in front of the trent building in particular, as I'm sure you've seen as they love to show that off lol), the student union building has so many communal areas to eat/sit, and there are a few bars on campus too (in the SU and as well as near the catered halls). the uni is also perfectly situated for going into town for shopping or nights out - easy access with the bus or tram.

i've really enjoyed the social side of notts as well as the academic, i think the uni strikes a good balance :smile:
Original post by riao00
i also haven't heard about UoN losing its reputation as a russel group, the staff are all very dedicated to their teaching in my experience and the university hasn't lost its research-based focus. obviously the pandemic made things difficult and the response from notts at first left much to be desired, but they eventually found a way to balance things out. we often get emails updating us on the uni's approach to the pandemic and information about testing, so we're very much in the loop with it all now compared to the start of the pandemic.

i would say that student feedback is not often taken on board by admin, but teachers usually listen to feedback regarding their classes and act accordingly to improve. of course it varies by department, but most people i know from across the university have had positive experiences.

and overall it is just a really nice campus with a real community feel! there are lots of beautiful places to go on walks (the big lake in front of the trent building in particular, as I'm sure you've seen as they love to show that off lol), the student union building has so many communal areas to eat/sit, and there are a few bars on campus too (in the SU and as well as near the catered halls). the uni is also perfectly situated for going into town for shopping or nights out - easy access with the bus or tram.

i've really enjoyed the social side of notts as well as the academic, i think the uni strikes a good balance :smile:

is it more online or in person at the moment?
Original post by dsfdmkvkfmm

Like almost every other Uni it is currently blended for most courses. E.g. Large lectures where usually the whole class attend are held online and smaller group learning is held in person. This varies between courses and modules.

The university is currently transitioning to host more in-person learning for the new term.
Original post by dsfdmkvkfmm

Atm as many lectures that can happen in person are! Especially since the new government guidelines.
Reply 7
Original post by xsimx
Hi!

I have applied to study psychology with cognitive neuroscience at UoN, and it's my first choice university. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like studying there generally? recently i have heard that its losing a lot of its good reputation? but I'm not sure how true that is and i'd like to hear from both sides if possible!

i have also applied to southampton (offer received), Essex (offer received) Reading (offer received) and St Andrews (waiting)

many thanks in advance!

The University of Nottingham is a Russell Group university, so it still has an excellent reputation. I've not heard of its reputation declining - the university still seems to be highly regarded.

I am a 4th year student here, so if you'd like to know more about specific things on what it's like to live and study here, let me know!
Original post by xsimx
Hi!

many thanks in advance!

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student studying Biology and Psychology (I take a lot of cognitive neuroscience modules so if you have any questions about that then let me know!)

When looking at applying to masters and jobs, I haven't faced any difficulty due to Nottingham 'losing reputation'. I think at every uni there will be things that change that the general public or league tables frown upon and also things that improve over time. I would'nt be put off by any rumours as studying at university is mainly about where you think you will be happiest, work the best and get the best out of the degree. If the modules in the degree interest you and the area of you interest is well researched at the uni then I wouldn't worry at all.
Like others have said, Nottingham being a Russel group university still holds a high reputation.

If you have any questions about life the uni in general or specific psychology questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Original post by _Cation_
The University of Nottingham is a Russell Group university, so it still has an excellent reputation. I've not heard of its reputation declining - the university still seems to be highly regarded.

I am a 4th year student here, so if you'd like to know more about specific things on what it's like to live and study here, let me know!

Hi , I was wondering if you could tell me what the SU is like ? I know Trent holds quizes some nights etc , does UON too?
Original post by EllaRoseThompson
Hi , I was wondering if you could tell me what the SU is like ? I know Trent holds quizes some nights etc , does UON too?

SUs are student ran organisations, so it’s just whatever people choose to do really. Their is a pub quiz society, and a couple local student pubs also have quizzes.

The su really just gets a budget from the university and channel the funds into services for students, events & organisations/clubs, their are probably like 200 societies & sports teams, some societies will be poorly ran, some very well ran (it just depends on the committee at the time), in general id say their is something for everyone.
Original post by xsimx
Hi!

many thanks in advance!

I'm a 3rd year at nottingham, doing MSc chemistry but yeah 1st year (pre covid) was amazing, then covid happened and things went online, the uni could've handled it better. This is why I think satisfaction went down, academically I think it's still doing well. I love the campus and the tram makes it super easy for nights out then bus/ uber back if you live in beeston or walk if you live in Lenton to save the dollar. This year is much better i think since Christmas with the return of in person teaching - it's back like it used to be and the lecturers seem to be making an effort and telling us what's going on again. Whilst is covid we didn't get exam timetables until like a week before the exams (a point of stress for many students). There's loads of places to study get coffee and food on campus and every other week at the moment you get £2.50 to spend if you spit in a pot for a covid test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending