The Student Room Group

Can someone review my CV?

I have written my first ever CV for a customer service job. The job requires me to serve customers and also includes checking documents as written on the description. I've tailored the CV as much as possible to suit that, but I am inexperienced and lack work experience so I understand it is going to be lacking. My only concern is that the CV would sound too bland for them to give me a chance so I hope someone can help with that:

NAME
Phone No
Email

Currently an undergraduate student studying Physics BSc at the University of ****. I am looking to gain the skills of working in a professional environment while expanding my existing skills within flexible hours. My amiability towards others and quick ability to learn would ensure that I am able to work to the best of my ability as a customer helper.

Education
Physics BSc - expected completion date June 20**
University name

A-Levels: Physics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics (September 20** - June 20**)
School name

9 GCSEs including English, and Business Studies (September 20** - June 20**)
School name

Skills Summary
Confidence in conversation: Announced events for my school’s open day and was also in a position where I directed and helped guests. Was also able to hand out flyers to strangers whilst being able to communicate relevant points of the subject on said flyer.

Ability to follow instructions and adhere to safety: My lab practicals require me to follow written instructions and often be aware of hazards such that I can take appropriate measures to perform experiments in a safe manner.

Being able to work with other people and being flexible: I am used to communicating with my peers to perform experiments within time limits and am also able to follow up if the other is struggling ie. being able to explain how a machine is to be used. Conversely, I am also open to criticism and am able to adjust when I am pointed out to have done something wrong.

Awards
Governer’s Award for excellence beyond classroom
Award in Business Studies for Contribution to the class
Award in Mathematics for Independent Working in lessons

Languages
Urdu at basic level
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BeyondReality
I have written my first ever CV for a customer service job. The job requires me to serve customers and also includes checking documents as written on the description. I've tailored the CV as much as possible to suit that, but I am inexperienced and lack work experience so I understand it is going to be lacking. My only concern is that the CV would sound too bland for them to give me a chance so I hope someone can help with that:

NAME
Phone No
Email

Currently an undergraduate student studying Physics BSc at the University of ****. I am looking to gain the skills of working in a professional environment while expanding my existing skills within flexible hours. My amiability towards others and quick ability to learn would ensure that I am able to work to the best of my ability as a customer helper.

Education
Physics BSc - expected completion date June 20**
University name

A-Levels: Physics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics (September 20** - June 20**)
School name

9 GCSEs including English, and Business Studies (September 20** - June 20**)
School name

Skills Summary
Confidence in conversation: Announced events for my school’s open day and was also in a position where I directed and helped guests. Was also able to hand out flyers to strangers whilst being able to communicate relevant points of the subject on said flyer.

Ability to follow instructions and adhere to safety: My lab practicals require me to follow written instructions and often be aware of hazards such that I can take appropriate measures to perform experiments in a safe manner.

Being able to work with other people and being flexible: I am used to communicating with my peers to perform experiments within time limits and am also able to follow up if the other is struggling ie. being able to explain how a machine is to be used. Conversely, I am also open to criticism and am able to adjust when I am pointed out to have done something wrong.

Awards
Governer’s Award for excellence beyond classroom
Award in Business Studies for Contribution to the class
Award in Mathematics for Independent Working in lessons

Languages
Urdu at basic level

TSR has a CV help forum below :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

Click on the link and click start discussion.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TriplexA
TSR has a CV help forum below :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

Click on the link and click start discussion.

I've checked but the forum is not taking new posts which is why I've posted here
Your skills summary isn't needed. Get rid of all personal pronouns (" I did this, I did that").

Get rid of your business studies GCSE. Employers care about maths and English thats it.

Your personal summary states your university, and then you do it again. This isn't needed. Your personal summary should be short, no more than three lines or so.
Original post by econhelp525
Your skills summary isn't needed. Get rid of all personal pronouns (" I did this, I did that").

Get rid of your business studies GCSE. Employers care about maths and English thats it.

Your personal summary states your university, and then you do it again. This isn't needed. Your personal summary should be short, no more than three lines or so.

many thanks. instead of a skills summary, what should i put to show different skills? also, how exactly should i approach my personal summary? what should it contain?
Original post by BeyondReality
many thanks. instead of a skills summary, what should i put to show different skills? also, how exactly should i approach my personal summary? what should it contain?

Your skills should be highlighted in the experiences that you have.

E.g.,

Generic Consulting
Senior Consultant

*Cultivated relationships with clients via engaging in active relationship management by keeping in constant dialogue with client

^^ something like that. That shows what you did and skills.

Your personal summary should be something which very briefly describes you and what you're looking for.

E.g. Results-oriented individual with strong leadership skills. Looking for which combines social aptitude with deep analytical skills, especially within corporate banking.
Original post by econhelp525
Your skills should be highlighted in the experiences that you have.

E.g.,

Generic Consulting
Senior Consultant

*Cultivated relationships with clients via engaging in active relationship management by keeping in constant dialogue with client

^^ something like that. That shows what you did and skills.

Your personal summary should be something which very briefly describes you and what you're looking for.

E.g. Results-oriented individual with strong leadership skills. Looking for which combines social aptitude with deep analytical skills, especially within corporate banking.

thank you, ill adjust for that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending