The Student Room Group

am i eligible for a contextual offer?

i've checked many universities websites and most say they choose on a case by case basis, so i thought i'd ask here to see if its even worth going for!
i have multiple disabilities and have missed around 2 years of school because of it (8 months bedridden early on, missed a lot of school during my gcses) and am still dealing with health issues during my a levels. i don't fit any other conditions for contextual offers, and i may not even need one, i'm genuinely just interested to see if i am eligible or not!

thanks!
You wont be entitled for a contextual offer. These are for things like being in care, living in a low progression to university post code or attending a poor performing school.

What you might be looked at for is extenuating or special conditions. Nobody can tell and the decision will differ between universities. Your referee should make comments about your illness in your reference. Universities might not lower grades but will take this into account if you miss your grades,
Reply 2
thank you that's very helpful!

Original post by swanseajack1
You wont be entitled for a contextual offer. These are for things like being in care, living in a low progression to university post code or attending a poor performing school.

What you might be looked at for is extenuating or special conditions. Nobody can tell and the decision will differ between universities. Your referee should make comments about your illness in your reference. Universities might not lower grades but will take this into account if you miss your grades,
Original post by andr0meda
thank you that's very helpful!

@Admit-One @McGinger @PQ Can any of you give more details to OP on the special consideration/extenuating circumstances rules from your experience as admissions officers
You may get 'extra consideration' that may result in an offer - but you wont get a lower grade offer unless you are entitled to one anyway via the usual WP criteria - low performing school etc.

From the Bristol website as just one example -
Extenuating Circumstances - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/your-application/extenuating-circumstances/
Contextual Offers - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/
Yup, as above, serious ill health might be taken into account for a bit of leeway on results day via each unis mitigating circumstances process. It wouldn't grant a reduced offer in the first instance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending