The Student Room Group

Technical issue in exam lead to fail

I had an exam I submitted on time with extra time but also had some technical issues and I submit it late.

Now the uni is telling me it won't be marked since it's a late submission. I have to resit the exam. But my computer crashed, it's not my fault! I took a recording of the screen it's not enough, of course, but how is this fair and what happens if it happens again? I am I expected to have everything backed up?? That's not feasible or fair to any student.
Original post by Anonymous
I had an exam I submitted on time with extra time but also had some technical issues and I submit it late.

Now the uni is telling me it won't be marked since it's a late submission. I have to resit the exam. But my computer crashed, it's not my fault! I took a recording of the screen it's not enough, of course, but how is this fair and what happens if it happens again? I am I expected to have everything backed up?? That's not feasible or fair to any student.

To the bolded - yes, I'd be surprised if you didn't have the reminder to save your work regularly.

I find it harsh though that they didn't take into account your technical issues when you have evidence. Did they say what would've been sufficient?
Original post by _gcx
To the bolded - yes, I'd be surprised if you didn't have the reminder to save your work regularly.

I find it harsh though that they didn't take into account your technical issues when you have evidence. Did they say what would've been sufficient?

During an exam are they actually expecting students to have multiple computers on standby? Because this is what I had to do at the end and one of them managed to work at the end.

They said that they need a picture of the monitor and not the 'computer' which didn't make sense to me, and I emailed them from my phone as soon as this happened but I was panicking trying to start up again rather than make more evidence, if that makes sense.
During an exam are they actually expecting students to have multiple computers on standby? Because this is what I had to do at the end and one of them managed to work at the end.

They said that they need a picture of the monitor and not the 'computer' which didn't make sense to me, and I emailed them from my phone as soon as this happened but I was panicking trying to start up again rather than make more evidence, if that makes sense.

You should store your work on some cloud-based service so you can then upload from your phone if need be. I don't think this is insane workaround.

What did you send them a picture of?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
You should store your work on some cloud-based service so you can then upload from your phone if need be. I don't think this is insane workaround.

What did you send them a picture of?

But it wasn't an essay it was an actual examination, I hear that but still don't understand that expectation in exam conditions to be honest.

I sent them a picture of the crashed computer, it was obvious there was a crash because of the cursor still there and it took ages to restart which is when I ended up using another thing to do it on.
But it wasn't an essay it was an actual examination, I hear that but still don't understand that expectation in exam conditions to be honest.

I sent them a picture of the crashed computer, it was obvious there was a crash because of the cursor still there and it took ages to restart which is when I ended up using another thing to do it on.

I mean more so in an exam since you'd have no time to redo it if your laptop failed halfway through...?

I don't understand their complaint then.
Yeah I lost all my work, but I thought if I told them instantly I might get extra time, but unfortunately not.

Because it was late, it doesn't get marked at all. Thus I fail this exam. I have to resit but it's unfair because it was not my fault.
Original post by _gcx
I mean more so in an exam since you'd have no time to redo it if your laptop failed halfway through...?

I don't understand their complaint then.

Yeah I lost all my work, but I thought if I told them instantly I might get extra time, but unfortunately not.

Because it was late, it doesn't get marked at all. Thus I fail this exam. I have to resit but it's unfair because it was not my fault.

Your original post is very unclear, my reading was that you completed the exam, had technical difficulties while uploading then uploaded late. Not lost the exam and then redid it after the period and tried to reupload it late.

This is basically the expected outcome though, to have to resit the exam. They would probably accept an exam that was minutes late if you had technical difficulties, but I assume this was substantially later than that. They would have drilled it into you to save your work constantly, surely
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
Your original post is very unclear, my reading was that you completed the exam, had technical difficulties while uploading then uploaded late. Not lost the exam and then redid it after the period and tried to reupload it late.

This is basically the expected outcome though, to have to resit the exam. They would probably accept an exam that was minutes late if you had technical difficulties, but I assume this was substantially later than that.

Ah okay, I originally meant that I re-did the exam paper as soon as it went down and then submitted it 10 mins after the deadline.

That makes sense what you said but I don't understand why I should be penalised for something that wasn't my fault in the first place. It took more than 2 devices to get me going again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending