The Student Room Group

How do you transfer uni after first year?

Let’s say u didn’t get the grades u didn’t want and end up going to a uni that u don’t like much, then during that year u retake A levels, can u apply to a new uni through clearing even when u r already in a uni. How would the whole process go? Would u even get a place?
Do not ever start a Uni course you dont actually want to do.
You cannot assume that you will be able to switch to 2nd year at another Uni - and certainly not one asking for higher grades - and doing A levels alongside degree study is, frankly, bonkers.

If you dont get the grades, then resit your A levels, apply in the autumn for 5 new choices - and work your socks off to get the grades needed for the Uni/course you do actually want to do.
Original post by SpringBlue
Let’s say u didn’t get the grades u didn’t want and end up going to a uni that u don’t like much, then during that year u retake A levels, can u apply to a new uni through clearing even when u r already in a uni. How would the whole process go? Would u even get a place?

Applications work the same no matter if you are applying for the first year or the 3rd year.
You put in a UCAS application with a full education history and reference from your current place of study.

It’s NEVER a good idea to try to study first year of a degree as well as resitting A levels. You’re highly unlikely to succeed at both. If you want to resit your A levels and go to a different university with higher requirements then take a gap year.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Do not ever start a Uni course you dont actually want to do.
You cannot assume that you will be able to switch to 2nd year at another Uni - and certainly not one asking for higher grades - and doing A levels alongside degree study is, frankly, bonkers.

If you dont get the grades, then resit your A levels, apply in the autumn for 5 new choices - and work your socks off to get the grades needed for the Uni/course you do actually want to do.

I understand but my parents r gonna be livid if I say I don’t wanna go to uni this year, they most likely will stop supporting me financially aswell. I’m also a very socially awkward person with no previous work experience so getting a job seems very difficult to near impossible for me now, I tried to get part time job these last two years but failed every time. That’s why I feel like if I go to a uni, at least I’ll be in a better environment to be able to study rather than being in more stress to find work and live with disappointed parents and also look for reference for predicted grades, cause my schl isn’t very supportive either. I don’t know what to do anymore to be honest.
Original post by SpringBlue

Hi, my name is Abby and I am a student ambassador at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln. Never accept a place at a university that you are not 100% set on just because the place is open. It is always worth exploring other options: clearing, apprenticeships, or resitting your A Level exams in the autumn. There are so many routes out there!

Hope this helps and good luck with everything!
Reply 5
Original post by abbyewington
Hi, my name is Abby and I am a student ambassador at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln. Never accept a place at a university that you are not 100% set on just because the place is open. It is always worth exploring other options: clearing, apprenticeships, or resitting your A Level exams in the autumn. There are so many routes out there!

Hope this helps and good luck with everything!

Unfortunately autumn A levels are no longer an option, since we had summer exams this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending