The Student Room Group

Can only date when drunk?

I don't know what is it... But when drunk I just feel way more than when I'm sober. It's very intense/pleasant. Maybe like love? I don't know.

But when not drunk? I barely feel anything. Over the past few years I had girls hitting on me and I rejected every single one of them.... I'm 20... And I even thought I might be asexual or something... But I'm simply not able to feel any emotions or even slightly bit of an attraction, unless I'm drunk/slightly boozed.....

What do I do? It's been like this forever. What is it that I'm really feeling then?
You're probably an alcoholic, which means your body can't function normally if you are consuming alcohol.
Original post by Doomotron
You're probably an alcoholic, which means your body can't function normally if you are consuming alcohol.

Haha, I forgot to mention that I barely drink. :P My bad.
I haven't had alcohol in over year and since the begging of this summary, about three times and inside a club. No more, no less. And it always surprises me to how much emotions I can feel, especially towards girls. I don't think that's an alcoholism? :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what is it... But when drunk I just feel way more than when I'm sober. It's very intense/pleasant. Maybe like love? I don't know.

But when not drunk? I barely feel anything. Over the past few years I had girls hitting on me and I rejected every single one of them.... I'm 20... And I even thought I might be asexual or something... But I'm simply not able to feel any emotions or even slightly bit of an attraction, unless I'm drunk/slightly boozed.....

What do I do? It's been like this forever. What is it that I'm really feeling then?

It could have a mental element? Alcohol only brings out your personality, it emphasises people's personalities most of the time, and highlights even the subconscious traits people have. People who supress feelings tend to feel more strongly when drunk, and those who tend to hide anger end up angry drunks or easily triggered when drunk.

Anything comes to mind when you think of a reason in your life you might be trying to supress emotions? Some kind of heartbreak or just any kind of moment where you kind of made yourself believe it was easier being numb to feelings than opening up? Having alcohol in your body removes that restraint, its probably why you feel greater attraction and you let yourself feel.

Think about it and try to consciously work your way around it. Try talking to people about it too, it might help. You'd still be able to date while sober, you've just to trust the other person with how you're feeling and remain supportive while you worth through this with them. It'll be okay
Original post by Alaska_Bear_25
It could have a mental element? Alcohol only brings out your personality, it emphasises people's personalities most of the time, and highlights even the subconscious traits people have. People who supress feelings tend to feel more strongly when drunk, and those who tend to hide anger end up angry drunks or easily triggered when drunk.

Anything comes to mind when you think of a reason in your life you might be trying to supress emotions? Some kind of heartbreak or just any kind of moment where you kind of made yourself believe it was easier being numb to feelings than opening up? Having alcohol in your body removes that restraint, its probably why you feel greater attraction and you let yourself feel.

Think about it and try to consciously work your way around it. Try talking to people about it too, it might help. You'd still be able to date while sober, you've just to trust the other person with how you're feeling and remain supportive while you worth through this with them. It'll be okay

I don't know, possibly. If that's the case... Not that bad.

As for the other part (a reasoning). No, I don't know. I've never really experienced heartbreak or any of that. I have dated here and there as a child. But usually because the girls were interested in me, I wouldn't probably do it on my own. It got harder after puberty. I can't keep up with it... As much as I would love to. I'm unable to. I don't know.

I guess I will keep on discovering. Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha, I forgot to mention that I barely drink. :P My bad.
I haven't had alcohol in over year and since the begging of this summary, about three times and inside a club. No more, no less. And it always surprises me to how much emotions I can feel, especially towards girls. I don't think that's an alcoholism? :biggrin:

Ah, that makes it a bit more complex. Addictions cause mood changes, but if you don't drink alcohol much it is unlikely to be caused by an addiction. I'd assume that when you're drunk your inhibitions lower, which makes you more confident. You say you rejected everybody who asked you out - the classic idea of finding someone you met while drunk more beautiful than you would usually comes to mind, but I can't say for certain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending