The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by izzydizzyyy
For anyone else now stuck with the struggle of deciding between two very good universities...please feel free to share with me your progress on the matter! I could hardly sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how this is a massive decision and that my life is going to change so much wahhhhhhh :confused:

This will be my third time going back to university (after doing a BA and then an MA). I did my undergraduate degree at a huge university, in a very busy city (much busier than Leicester), and I have to say, I didn't enjoy it much (at least the social side of things) - academically, I struggled, but I did improve each year, and by the end and in the many years since graduating, I've come to realize that despite how many things I hated about my 4 years there, everything I went through while I was there helped make me who I am today.

I don't regret going there now, despite the fact that when I was younger I really resented my parents for forcing me to go there just because it is known really well in my home country, and everyone wants their kids to go there.

I did my MA in England at a smaller university, but I loved every minute of it, even with all the crazy stress and the heavy workload, it was great because I loved the small class size and the research I was doing. Bonus, I met my husband there, and eventually moved to England and currently live in the East Midlands.

I don't envy you having to make such a life altering decision, it's never easy. Go with the place you feel most comfortable and where you think you'll be able to see yourself grow and develop professionally and personally, and check them out as much as you can, visiting a place will make it easier! What I say is easier said than done, especially if it's your first time going to university.

Good luck!!
Original post by djavor
I would be saving money if I went to DMU as it's very close to home.. And obvs if I run out of money I can come home for a bit..
Also the course is 3.5 years whereas the Manchester one is 4 years & obviously it would be more ideal to finish sooner because of my age..
But obviously Manchester is such an amazing city and I'd be kicking myself if I turned down such a prestigious University :frown: so much to think about lol it's driving me crazy!

This is exactly me 100%! Marjon is 3.5 years and a commutable distance and I will be in my 30s on graduation so would love to finish sooner however, Newcastle, which is 4 years, also seems amazing, love the city and it's a top uni to go to. Argh this is so hard!
Original post by gscott10
Hope everyone's interviews are going well! I'm doing speech and language therapy at the university of Manchester so if any of you have any questions then feel free to drop me a message and I'll try and reply as best I can! Good luck

Heya! I'm thinking of firming Uni of Manchester but still in two minds about it, what made you pick Manchester and where else did you apply?
Original post by AmyPilot
Oh my! Can't believe this is happening to you! Really hope you hear soon xx

Haha I know how unlucky am I! Good things come to those who wait though... Hopefully hehe
Original post by TiramisuGoomba
This will be my third time going back to university (after doing a BA and then an MA). I did my undergraduate degree at a huge university, in a very busy city (much busier than Leicester), and I have to say, I didn't enjoy it much (at least the social side of things) - academically, I struggled, but I did improve each year, and by the end and in the many years since graduating, I've come to realize that despite how many things I hated about my 4 years there, everything I went through while I was there helped make me who I am today.

I don't regret going there now, despite the fact that when I was younger I really resented my parents for forcing me to go there just because it is known really well in my home country, and everyone wants their kids to go there.

I did my MA in England at a smaller university, but I loved every minute of it, even with all the crazy stress and the heavy workload, it was great because I loved the small class size and the research I was doing. Bonus, I met my husband there, and eventually moved to England and currently live in the East Midlands.

I don't envy you having to make such a life altering decision, it's never easy. Go with the place you feel most comfortable and where you think you'll be able to see yourself grow and develop professionally and personally, and check them out as much as you can, visiting a place will make it easier! What I say is easier said than done, especially if it's your first time going to university.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much for sharing that with me! :smile: luckily I know that either way I'll enjoy the course, it's just still a big decision to decide where to live for 3 1/2 years!!! Plus I did not realise that DMU does not provide dysphagia training - which has kind of threw me as I was close to thinking I would firm them! But now I feel as though Marjon is more appealing. How are yours going? Good luck!
Original post by nesca89
Haha I know how unlucky am I! Good things come to those who wait though... Hopefully hehe

You seem so calm! Its stressing me out and its got nothing to do with me lol. Really do have my fingers toes and everything else crossed for you.
Original post by nesca89

Honestly every time you post and I get an email saying Nesca has replied to a thread you are watching I have kittens waiting for it to load thinking you finally have that offer! It's the same feeling I get when I get a track email myself haha
Original post by AmyPilot
You seem so calm! Its stressing me out and its got nothing to do with me lol. Really do have my fingers toes and everything else crossed for you.

Original post by madagascar
Honestly every time you post and I get an email saying Nesca has replied to a thread you are watching I have kittens waiting for it to load thinking you finally have that offer! It's the same feeling I get when I get a track email myself haha

Well I have to keep calm or I'll go craaaazy! It's out of my hands now, just got to wait... And wait... And wait haha.

Its nice you both feel for me and my pain haha. Hopefully I will get the offer tonight and then we can all just relax :smile:
Original post by nesca89
Well I have to keep calm or I'll go craaaazy! It's out of my hands now, just got to wait... And wait... And wait haha.

Its nice you both feel for me and my pain haha. Hopefully I will get the offer tonight and then we can all just relax :smile:

I hope so haha!
Original post by nesca89

I felt your pain especially when the status notification came up I didn't open it until 2 hours after I was too scared. But your in a very good position as a lot of people have had rejections from Manchester ydai so don't worry!
Original post by naimah_786
I felt your pain especially when the status notification came up I didn't open it until 2 hours after I was too scared. But your in a very good position as a lot of people have had rejections from Manchester ydai so don't worry!

Yeah I guess, people have been hearing from them today though and had offers and rejections. I guess I just want to be put out of misery !
Original post by Carolina Monica
Heya! I'm thinking of firming Uni of Manchester but still in two minds about it, what made you pick Manchester and where else did you apply?

Good question I'm torn between DMU and Manc!
Original post by nesca89
Yeah I guess, people have been hearing from them today though and had offers and rejections. I guess I just want to be put out of misery !

Well the best are always kept to the last! Don't worry they have quite a large number of intake and I was talking to the admissions on Wednesday she said due to large numbers they may increase the size!
Well the best are always kept to the last! Don't worry they have quite a large number of intake and I was talking to the admissions on Wednesday she said due to large numbers they may increase the size!

Oh well that would be good if they did because at least I'd stand more of a chance. I just don't think I performed very well in the interview so I'm unsure but we will soon see. Track goes down at 6 and then that's it for the weekend! Aaahhh!
Original post by nesca89
Oh well that would be good if they did because at least I'd stand more of a chance. I just don't think I performed very well in the interview so I'm unsure but we will soon see. Track goes down at 6 and then that's it for the weekend! Aaahhh!

Yes there's all next week. Hopefully you will get the offer and yh same I didn't think I did too well but then again the questions were semi hard.#

Don't worry:smile:
Yes there's all next week. Hopefully you will get the offer and yh same I didn't think I did too well but then again the questions were semi hard.#

Don't worry:smile:

I though the questions were harder this year compared to last and I was 2 points off getting in so I feel as though I'm not getting in. Anyway I'll stop being negative now haha. Have you made a decision about what uni you will be going to?
Original post by nesca89
I though the questions were harder this year compared to last and I was 2 points off getting in so I feel as though I'm not getting in. Anyway I'll stop being negative now haha. Have you made a decision about what uni you will be going to?

Oh your a third year student? Hope you have a better chance then! And if it doesn't work out you have some back ups! And yes hopefully Manchester
Oh your a third year student? Hope you have a better chance then! And if it doesn't work out you have some back ups! And yes hopefully Manchester

No no I had an interview last year and didn't get in anywhere, so here I go again! Haha
Original post by madagascar
This is exactly me 100%! Marjon is 3.5 years and a commutable distance and I will be in my 30s on graduation so would love to finish sooner however, Newcastle, which is 4 years, also seems amazing, love the city and it's a top uni to go to. Argh this is so hard!

Is this your first time going to uni? If this was my first time then I'd definitely choose Manchester.. But I obviously I have a loan to pay back and stuff so I'm worrying about the finances of moving to such a big place for 4 years :/
Original post by nesca89

I thought Manchester was my worst interview, swear I was just writing rubbish and I ended up with an offer so there's definitely hope!

Quick Reply

Latest