The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you could do IGCSE maths instead? if you find a centre which will let you sit it? It does not have a coursework.

But like i said, and i am 99% sure about this, an unconditional offer means that the uni thinks that you already have the required qualifications and therefor you dont need to complete the qualifications.

What you were sayig Knogle is silly. Conditional offers are offers which say you need to complete the qualifications and get a certain grade, while unconditional offedr says that you already have the qualifications required.

Think about it. If you got an unconditional offer, and you do sit the exam, it doesnt matter what grade you got, right? Well, if the OP does not sit the exam he will obtain a grade U, however he will still get into the uni as the uni doesnt care what grade he gets, and therefore he recieved an UNconditional offer.
Now i am a 100% sure!

Ok so if the OP had not had the official qualification of the GCSE Maths, but had put it on the UCAS form as a pending qualification then the OP does not need to finish the pending qualifications because the uni has accept him on the bases of the qualifications he already has!

I found this on the UCAS website:

"An unconditional offer means that you have met all the entry requirements and the university or college is happy to have you on the course. The university or college will contact you if it needs proof of your qualifications. It may also specify any other requirements, such as financial or medical conditions, that you must meet before you can join the course."

And therefore the uni thinks you have already met the qualification requirements and therefore you have recieved an unconditional, and that your pending qualifications do not matter anymore. If they did you would have recieved a Conditional offer instead, asking you to complete and achieve grade whatever.
Reply 22
Wizard, you've met the entry requirements, but the information on your form has to be valid. There's no way of telling who lied about going to take a qualification and who just changed their mind/couldn't sit it. I could list 20 million qualifications as pending, get an unconditional offer and then not take them. That's not fair!

You need to contact the uni ASAP if any of the information on the form changes. As it's unconditional they probably won't care (and they have nothing else to make it conditional on!), but if the uni are not told then it's just the same as lying on the UCAS form, which has serious consequences.
Reply 23
I agree that it's probably a good idea to contact the uni, but if you listed loads of qualifications as pending the university would make your offer conditional! If, however, you had some already completed and some pending then unconditional would mean they don't need the pending ones.
:ditto
Reply 25
I said id do AS further maths but i hav nt received ne offers on it, so ive droppd it. Surely, I dont have to inform the unis or UCAS, because they dont care wot I get in it. They would only look at the AS's i needed to get
Reply 26
guru/god
I said id do AS further maths but i hav nt received ne offers on it, so ive droppd it. Surely, I dont have to inform the unis or UCAS, because they dont care wot I get in it. They would only look at the AS's i needed to get

Yes, you do need to inform them.

READ THE HANDBOOK AND TERMS YOU AGREED TO!
Should the university in question have been interested in a grade at GCSE Maths, they would have been perfectly entitled to make you a conditional offer based solely on that. So though they're probably not going to be too concerned, the most prudent option at this time would be to phone them and tell them you're only thinking of not doing the exam, and have a good cover story on hand in case they're about to bite your head off: my gran died; I want to concentrate on other work; I'm a lazy bastard. Whatever suits, but with this method you could at least try to rectify the situation by entering and deliberately failing the exam without them ever knowing about this whole cock-up.
Reply 28
This looks like perfect thread to ask a question thats been nagging me , I am not sure I have all my GCSE certificates, is it common for a Uni to request to see them on enrollment day?

If yes any suggestions about what I should do now?
(note I am not unorganised:redface: its just that we moved houses 4 times since I sat my GCSE's)
Reply 29
Look for them!

Contact your school, and see if they will write a letter on headed paper saying what you got. This may be acceptable.

Or, you can request copies from the exam board. They charge £30 per type of exam (ie it's £30 for all GCSEs, but if you want A Levels as well it's another £30).
Reply 30
omg i dont know what i've done with my GCSE certificates..do we actually need to show them? I'm sure the university would have records of your grades from UCAS surely?
Reply 31
Hralipour
omg i dont know what i've done with my GCSE certificates..do we actually need to show them? I'm sure the university would have records of your grades from UCAS surely?

UCAS *might* only hand them your 'A' level grades, i'm not too sure.

Surely you can obtain a copy of your results slip from the examination board for a minimal fee?
Reply 32
oh right. oh well i have something somewhere lol. besides im sure my uni knows my results cos ucas have to tell it to the unis prior to results day so they know whether you met their offer conditions. if they really want it i'll pay for it

Latest

Trending

Trending