The Student Room Group

Is getting into a relationship at uni a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bassetts
How old are you? If you were 23 and in my position, you would not be saying that. There is so much ignorance in life from everyone. No one can put themselves in someone else's shoes for a second and appreciate another person's situation. They're too busy living in their own little bubble to care for anyone.

If you want sex that much you could get it. You might not be ablt to get it in the circumstances you would like to, but you could get sex.
Nope, I think its alrite to be dating at uni :smile: ! I don't think that it will affect your studies as long as your significant other is understanding of your need to devote some time to your studies as well, which a fellow student should :yy: !
Reply 22
Original post by Le Nombre
If you want sex that much you could get it. You might not be ablt to get it in the circumstances you would like to, but you could get sex.
I don't want to pay for it if that's what you're implying.
Reply 23
Original post by AristoBrat!
Lol I'm going to be 23 soon and though I think it's unusual (hence, 'crazy') sometimes, I don't let my virginity 'bother' me too much. There's a time and place and for me, a person I'd love enough for that to happen, so I'm probably not in your position but I'd still say, hang on you'll be fine. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The difference is you could get it if you want to but you're choosing to wait for sex at the right moment.
I don't want to pay for it if that's what you're implying.

No, I didn't mean that last ditch. Just basically going to the gym right beforehand, get a 'pump' on, then plough into a non-student club and hit on pretty much anything in sight. **** your mates, just focus solely on hitting on as many girls as physically possible, regardless of appearance, and odds are one will eventually get with you and potentially come home. If she doesn't then rinse and repeat.

You might have a **** night and friends who think you're a bell but you should be cherryless.
Reply 25
I think university is an excellent time for forming relationships. Although workloads may be comparable to life after university, the fairly unstructured nature of university work (at least for non-scientists) means that work can be properly harnessed and put in its place.

Secondly, three years of relative stability is actually a wonderful thing for young adults. Having up to potentially three years to grow as a couple without fear of being uprooted, is a huge plus point.

Definitely worth it, I'd say.

And it's also a good thing to get into the habit at a young age of making time for someone else. If we leave it too long we can begin to think that work is everything and we resent people intruding into that. But forming a set of priorities when we're young about what really matters can be really helpful.
How old are you? If you were 23 and in my position, you would not be saying that. There is so much ignorance in life from everyone. No one can put themselves in someone else's shoes for a second and appreciate another person's situation. They're too busy living in their own little bubble to care for anyone.

Is moaning on a forum helping you at all??

No, so instead, go out and do something about it!
It's a good idea! University should be more than about a degree and you'll likely never meet so many unattached people in one place. It would be a pity to prioritise work to the exclusion of everything else. "Life experience" is a cliched phrase but it's an important one. Don't get to the end of the course with regrets that you didn't enjoy your time at Uni.
Reply 28
No, I didn't mean that last ditch. Just basically going to the gym right beforehand, get a 'pump' on, then plough into a non-student club and hit on pretty much anything in sight. **** your mates, just focus solely on hitting on as many girls as physically possible, regardless of appearance, and odds are one will eventually get with you and potentially come home. If she doesn't then rinse and repeat.

You might have a **** night and friends who think you're a bell but you should be cherryless.
Why do you say a non-student club?
Why do you say a non-student club?

According to my mates, I've been in a relationship since 18, non student clubs have a higher success rate on average, chiefly because women in their 30s/40s/50s are a lot more amenable to being hit on by a 23/24 year old than women in their teens and twenties, chiefly because fewer men in their 20s want to sleep with said women.
Reply 30
According to my mates, I've been in a relationship since 18, non student clubs have a higher success rate on average, chiefly because women in their 30s/40s/50s are a lot more amenable to being hit on by a 23/24 year old than women in their teens and twenties, chiefly because fewer men in their 20s want to sleep with said women.
Sounds nice. :wink: Saying that they could be some fat single ugly women with smoke breath but I can't be choosy :lol:

The few mainstream clubs I went to on a saturday night, I couldn't see any women who looked in their 30s/40s/50s. They all looked in the age range 18 and 28. Did I go to the wrong places?
Sounds nice. :wink: Saying that they could be some fat single ugly women with smoke breath but I can't be choosy :lol:

The few mainstream clubs I went to on a saturday night, I couldn't see any women who looked in their 30s/40s/50s. They all looked in the age range 18 and 28. Did I go to the wrong places?

Try and 80s bar like Reflex, you'll imediately halve the average age upon entry and several women reminiscent of Neil's conquests in the Inbetweeners film will be on you faster than you can say Gregg's sausage roll (and they can say that quickly).
Reply 32
Try and 80s bar like Reflex, you'll imediately halve the average age upon entry and several women reminiscent of Neil's conquests in the Inbetweeners film will be on you faster than you can say Gregg's sausage roll (and they can say that quickly).
That sounds dodgy. I have to find somewhere like that AND convince at least one friend to go with me. Unless I am prepared to walk into a place like that by myself :s-smilie: Have you been before?
(edited 10 years ago)
That sounds dodgy. I have to find somewhere like that AND convince at least one friend to go with me. Unless I am prepared to walk into a place like that by myself :s-smilie: Have you been before?

I have on a couple of occasions ended up in Reflex, it's best described as an experience, but not one I intend to repeat on a regular basis.
Reply 34
I think it's a good idea to get into a relationship in uni. You do need to relax from all that studying.
Original post by Daniellejo.
Dunno why you got so many negs lol, I thought that was quite funny. :biggrin:
Some people need to learn how to laugh at themselves.

haha maybe they thought it was serious - I did at first. :smile:

And to answer the OP's question, whilst I am not at uni, I do think it is because there's always some excuse not to be in a relationship, if you like them enough then you won't think 'oh no my studies'; it's probably about time management anyway. tbh there's always some excuse not to be in a relationship - when you're in school/college/uni, it's education; when you're in full time work, it's probably lack of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending