The Student Room Group

First love

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Describe your first love and what was it like and how many times have you truly been in live?

I have been in love three times (I'm 31 now) and the first time I was 18/19 years old with my second serious girlfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loved one guy and ended up regretting it. Now officially terrified of dating again
Original post by glo420
mines are more like public transport crushes

No they're not ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining
My first love felt exciting, scary and in the end heartbreaking. He cheated.

I've been in love once more after. That's going pretty well

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, I loved them as in I cared for them and wanted the best. But I wasn't in love with them, after a while I couldn't see a future with them, there passions didn't become my passions etc. The girl I was in love with, I thought I'd spend my life with.

Girls can get away with saying I love you but I'm not in love with you why can't I :P
I've loved two. One was a guy who I was in a very confusing situation with, which took me almost a year to get over. On paper he was my "perfect" guy in terms of interests and looks, and we always had really interesting conversations but he was a "nice guy" who unintentionally treated me like crap.

I don't regret meeting or falling for him, because after that I promised myself I would never allow a guy to treat me like that again. The second love is my current boyfriend, he liked me from day one but at the time I didn't want a relationship so we didn't get together until a year after met. I find the way I feel about him interesting because I didn't fall head over heels in love with him from the moment I met him. It was a gradual process, and now I can't imagine being without him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
17-19. Limerence is a blight upon the adolescent psyche.
Reply 27

what I meant was mine are..*
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
I've loved two. One was a guy who I was in a very confusing situation with, which took me almost a year to get over. On paper he was my "perfect" guy in terms of interests and looks, and we always had really interesting conversations but he was a "nice guy" who unintentionally treated me like crap.

I don't regret meeting or falling for him, because after that I promised myself I would never allow a guy to treat me like that again. The second love is my current boyfriend, he liked me from day one but at the time I didn't want a relationship so we didn't get together until a year after met. I find the way I feel about him interesting because I didn't fall head over heels in love with him from the moment I met him. It was a gradual process, and now I can't imagine being without him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's a wee bit like my current (first) relationship...i met my girlfriend like 2 years ago and we were just friends but I had a crush on her for the whole time and now that we are in a relationship, it seems quite gradual probably because we've known each other for so long... :smile:
Original post by donutellme
Just happened a few months ago.

First girl I've ever liked. Hopefully last.

She's basically perfect in almost every way. Just has a past which I soooo badly hope I can get over, cos it really gets me down and causes some friction in an otherwise perfect relationship.

It's just. Wow. We're so in sync it's unreal.

Let me guess - she's slept with more people than you have? Maybe she's your first, but you're not hers? If so, it doesn't matter one teeny tiny bit. Not a jot, and you need to get over it, because it would be utterly ridiculous to wreck a relationship due to something she can't change and which doesn't affect your relationship. Unless you allow it to, which it sounds like you are with your "friction." These issues based in insecurities are like self-fulfilling prophecies.

If I'm wrong, please disregard the above :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Loved one guy and ended up regretting it. Now officially terrified of dating again

:frown:

Original post by Profesh
17-19. Limerence is a blight upon the adolescent psyche.

I never knew there was a word for that Profesh! Thanks man, just read the wiki page on that and it's bloody insightful.
Coming from a Mediterranean country, that girl was the only ginger girl in our year and possibly the school. I found her so....mesmerising.

Haven't seen her in 12 years now.
exciting, intense and all consuming to confusing, painful and utterly heartbreaking.
I have loved two people - my first and my current (and seemingly last :smile:) - but its a different love. The first time I was swept away...it was all consuming even when he began to neglect me.

This love is kind, comfortable - much more complex and beautiful. I know that I can talk to my current- i trust him not to put me down or neglect me - I know him inside out. Its a more mature love, it's not as overwhelming...but it's passionate and warm - so so much better.
Original post by TorpidPhil
I never knew there was a word for that Profesh! Thanks man, just read the wiki page on that and it's bloody insightful.

Yes; so much more precise than 'infatuation'. I've loved twice, but would characterise only the first of those experiences as limerent, and doubt that I've the romantic constitution to fall prey to such a profound yet euphoric agony ever again. Thank God.
I was mad about him and it made what happened extremely difficult to get over. And has pretty much left me scared to get into anything else :tongue:
Original post by Profesh
Yes; so much more precise than 'infatuation'. I've loved twice, but would characterise only the first of those experiences as limerent, and doubt that I've the romantic constitution to fall prey to such a profound yet euphoric agony ever again. Thank God.

Yes, yes it is. I appreciate knowing that. Gonna be very handy for future discussions I think. Hmm. This has gave me a lot to think about. Thanks again :biggrin:
Original post by Profesh

This isn't a GCSE English exam, there is no need to use all those elongated words from your thesaurus.
Original post by TwinnyP
This isn't a GCSE English exam, there is no need to use all those elongated words from your thesaurus.

This isn't a GCSE English exam; there's no need to use capital-letters.
Original post by Profesh
This isn't a GCSE English exam; there's no need to use capital-letters.

Hilarious.

But seriously, what satisfaction are you getting from writing like that? It would be like using algebra to work out your tax and national insurance on your pay slip. It's needless.
Original post by TwinnyP
Hilarious.

Apposite.

But seriously, what satisfaction are you getting from writing like that? It would be like using algebra to work out your tax and national insurance on your pay slip. It's needless.

Analogy:

Perhaps your approaching a multifarious discussion forum as one might do a "pay slip" is the ignoble genesis of our contretemps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending