The Student Room Group

Guys paying for girls on outings

Scroll to see replies

You're not expected to pay unless you wife her. It's good that you offered but she shouldn't have been so bold.
I've paid for male friends drinks and they've paid for mine. Your gender shouldn't matter.
Original post by raepatricks
Guys don't always have to pay for girls, in all honestly i've never understood the notion that they should have to. It's wrong for women to expect it. If you're dating, I guess the dynamic is different as most guys just feel obliged to do because they want to make their girlfriend happy but if you're just friends i'm not sure if it's considered the norm. If I was a guy, I probably wouldn't pay for my female friends.

Because that's been the case for literally hundreds if not thousands of years (not paying for drinks ofc but generally paying for stuff). It's wrong but it's not difficult to understand.

I am a feminist and I understand and endorse the most sensible forms of liberal feminism. But, like all progressive causes, it's novel and unfamiliar. That some men will feel as if it's "natural" to pay for a girl is entirely understandable. We shouldn't act as though men paying for women is some incomprehensible thing that needs justification (although I agree it is not right).
Original post by AccountingBabe
Guys should pay... But not if its a friend relationship.

No they shouldn't. My bf and I split the bill whenever we go out. I can take care of myself
Original post by Mrs House
No they shouldn't. My bf and I split the bill whenever we go out. I can take care of myself

You have to take culture into account, some guys feel insulted if the girl wants to pay.
Original post by ColossalAtom
I was having a discussion with my sister. I told her that me and my mate is meeting for dinner, since she she will be heading back to her city the next day. I said that I was going to be paying, since she's broke from spending on her brother's birthday and her mother's birthday the very next day.

Then she said: "Guys should always be paying for girls anyway".

I didn't bother to carry on that conversation too long, since she's combative and likes to be right. So I avoided an unnecessary conversation.

So what are your thoughts on guys paying for girls? Whether they are dating or just friends.

I'm a girl and I disagree with your sister but there ya go
Original post by Mrs House

I've had relationships where I was the sole earner and paid for everything but this was hard for the man to take and ended up turning our relationship sour.

I think it's an inherent instinct that men want to be the bread winners/providers so letting them pay for a meal every once and while satisfies them more than it satisfies a woman... I can pay my own way also but for his masculinity I will let him pay.
No way.

Now, I would be okay with it IF those same women who expect to have their things paid for gave me something in return (I.e. respect, not sex). But most are entitled brats, so no thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending