The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Elementric
:lolwut:

U srs?

Yes. If your car does not have enough power to pull away from 4th->5th then you have a problem.
Reply 41
Lara C.
And you think that is causing an 2002 Clio to run at 80mph max? :rolleyes:

Sometimes your head is screwed on just a little too tight Graham :p:

It could be the early signs of a worn out engine (losing max hp), but granted, a good service (or lack of) is probably more likely.
Reply 42
Lara C.
Yes. If your car does not have enough power to pull away from 4th->5th then you have a problem.

Nah, the gearbox is just set up wrong, set up for cruising. The gear is far too high for the amount of torque the engine has and thus, a lower gear (4th) is more likely to reach top speed on small engines.

Try it, try and get to the red line in a 1.4 in 5th. You can't, you run out of torque, try it in 4th and you will probably get a higher top speed as you can reach the red line, worth trying either way, nothing to lose.
Reply 43
gbduo
It could be the early signs of a worn out engine (losing max hp), but granted, a good service (or lack of) is probably more likely.

The chances of a 2002 correctly maintained engine wearing out are astronomically small unless something major has given way. In fact its unheard of as far as i know that such a new engine could wear out so easily. I think your just spoiling for an argument Graham.....
Reply 44
gbduo
Nah, the gearbox is just set up wrong, set up for cruising. The gear is far too high for the amount of torque the engine has and thus, a lower gear (4th) is more likely to reach top speed on small engines.

Try it, try and get to the red line in a 1.4 in 5th. You can't, you run out of torque, try it in 4th and you will probably get a higher top speed as you can reach the red line, worth trying either way, nothing to lose.

Your seriously deluded. The gearbox in a 1.2 Renault Clio is NOT set up for cruising, fair enough in a bentley or in a BINI with 6 gears.

You may very well not be able to hit the rev limiter in even a 1.4 in 5th, in fact i know you cant because my car is a healthy 100bhp 1.4 and it runs out at about 5500rpm. But thats still ALOT faster than flat out in 4th.
Reply 45
Lara C.
The chances of a 2002 correctly maintained engine wearing out are astronomically small unless something major has given way. In fact its unheard of as far as i know that such a new engine could wear out so easily. I think your just spoiling for an argument Graham.....

It's French anything could happen! :p:
Reply 46
Lara C.
Your seriously deluded. The gearbox in a 1.2 Renault Clio is NOT set up for cruising, fair enough in a bentley or in a BINI with 6 gears.

You may very well not be able to hit the rev limiter in even a 1.4 in 5th, in fact i know you cant because my car is a healthy 100bhp 1.4 and it runs out at about 5500rpm. But thats still ALOT faster than flat out in 4th.

Its worth a shot, especially with lower power and less torquey engines, honestly, it can make a big difference.
Reply 47
gbduo
It's French anything could happen! :p:

Im being serious Graham, youve just pissed me off again by making these stupid comments. You know the engine isnt worn out and if it was there would be something seriously wrong with. Please dont do this again.
Reply 48
Lara C.
Im being serious Graham, youve just pissed me off again by making these stupid comments. You know the engine isnt worn out and if it was there would be something seriously wrong with. Please dont do this again.

Sorry :o: :frown:
Reply 49
gbduo
Its worth a shot, especially with lower power and less torquey engines, honestly, it can make a big difference.

No it cant, its a city car and its not made for cruising. Its sole purpose just like all the other cars ive owned is to get you from town to town as cheaply as possible. Its not a motorway car and they Renault have not chosen the gear ratios for it, they are chosen for urban economy which means short compact ratios. Im yet to drive such a car that wont get very close to its top RPM in 5th gear.
Reply 50
gbduo
Sorry :o: :frown:

Its fine. Lets just leave it be :smile:
Is the car chugging at that speed? It sounds like it could be the throttle body, it's a quite common fault with newer clios and the micra with which it shares so many parts. Service the car and go from there.

Latest

Trending

Trending