The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Try and do something about it, then.
Reply 41
grape:)
maybe they have personal experience of the kind of things you enjoy laughing at, i.e. rape/racism and personal tragedy, which is why it's so distasteful.

I wouldn't laugh if I walked past somebody being raped, but I don't see why people are so taboo over these kinds of subjects. It's like people never watching a movie where people die, get shot, get raped, murdered or drugged ever again. You're getting entertainment from watching things happen to them; sure it's fictional, but then so are my comments. I wouldn't go up to a girl who I know had been sexually assaulted in the past and ask if she enjoyed it.
Reply 42
AsystoleUK
I wouldn't laugh if I walked past somebody being raped, but I don't see why people are so taboo over these kinds of subjects. It's like people never watching a movie where people die, get shot, get raped, murdered or drugged ever again. You're getting entertainment from watching things happen to them; sure it's fictional, but then so are my comments. I wouldn't go up to a girl who I know had been sexually assaulted in the past and ask if she enjoyed it.

No, but nor can you tell whether someone you're having a casual laugh with has been raped in the past, they aren't exactly going to shout about it are they? Also, may I point out that rape scenes and murder scenes in films are there for entertainment yes, but not for comedy value. So all in all I don't find those things funny or appropriate to joke about.
You sound a bit like the sort of person who says controversial things for a laugh. It's not neccessarily a bad thing but it takes some people time to get used to. Before i came to uni, i would have snapped at people who made jokes like that but i've met a few people with a similar sense of humour to you and i'm a bit more open to those jokes. The thing which could help you is that pretty much all the people i know like that, i also know are nice. Even the guy who everyone says is a *******, we know that he's really not a bad person. They sort of know when to say sorry or when to make it clear that they don't want to offend you. You could try that? Best i can do.
Reply 44
grape:)
I'm not middle class. Don't make assumptions. Also, perhaps people don't get offended just because they are pretending to be pc, maybe they have personal experience of the kind of things you enjoy laughing at, i.e. rape/racism and personal tragedy, which is why it's so distasteful.

True but i'm assuming the op doesn't go up to random people talking about rape, i'm assuming he knows these people and should thus know whether they have had problems with this ****.

If your friend has been raped you don't joke about rape to her it's obvious, again i assumed op knew this, common sense.
Reply 45
You strike me as being quite weird tbh, the kind of kid who causes awkward social environments.

Maybe you're not though:dontknow:
Reply 46
Making a thread all about YOU and QQ-ing about life makes you come across as a prick.

I'd probably get on with you though.
Reply 47
Escapist
Making a thread all about YOU and QQ-ing about life makes you come across as a prick.

I'd probably get on with you though.

Look around H&R, it's generally threads about the OP most of the time :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Libtolu
True but i'm assuming the op doesn't go up to random people talking about rape, i'm assuming he knows these people and should thus know whether they have had problems with this ****.

If your friend has been raped you don't joke about rape to her it's obvious, again i assumed op knew this, common sense.

Yes but what I am telling you is that you CANNOT intrinsically know who has been raped, for instance. These flatmates of his who don't really know him probably wont be shouting about it either if any of them had been. Sometimes someone who has had this misfortune never tells anyone. Maybe people should just learn to be tactful?
Reply 49
I'm still waiting for an answer...
Reply 50
lm_wfc
I'm still waiting for an answer...

I wasn't aware you'd asked anything?
Reply 51
AsystoleUK
I wasn't aware you'd asked anything?

I quoted you and asked you your 'funnier if you just raped her' comment was funny.
Reply 52
lm_wfc
I quoted you and asked you your 'funnier if you just raped her' comment was funny.

I figured that was rhetorical. He laughed. I told you not everybody finds such things funnier.
Reply 53
I think you sound quite amusing - a little mean in regards to the sig, but you don't sound as bad as you think you are.
Reply 54
AsystoleUK
I'm like that in a sense but I guess I'm just not affected by harsher topics so much. Things like jokes about haiti and those that go around after a celebrity death, I find hilarious. Somebody was telling me a story about a girl he'd got with earlier and I responded "It would've been funnier if you'd just raped her". I'm obviously joking with all of this, but people don't find it funny at all. It is to me :/

i think you have to be careful about rape jokes, like certain people will love it but if you say it in a deadpan style some people just won't respond
Reply 55
I don't mind people with an un-PC sense of humour, in fact I'd probably get along with you, but you have understand if the type of people you tell these jokes to will find them appropriate. If they're like the housemates you live with, it's best to just not say them and wait until you're with someone who you know would find them funny.
Tbh i think you're quite funny :smile:
AsystoleUK
I think i'm quite crap. I've managed to fall out with most of my housemates, I don't even think it was my fault. I think the icing on the cake was tonight, people kept leaving empty glassware outside my room from in the bathroom, assuming it was mine as sometimes I accidentally leave empty cans in there on the way to the kitchen. I'd warned them I'd break the glasses if they did it again; funny how the owner finally admits they're hers when I get rid of them.

Little things like this. I'm not an aggressive person, but I have a very Un-PC sense of humour and a lot of people think i'm being insulting when i'm really not. I actually asked one of my best friends for years why he puts up with me tonight and he replied:

"I just try to ignore it, I guess i've not had it as bad from you yet"

And then another friend I asked told me it's hard liking me, I'm very self centered. I don't think i'm self centered :frown:

Well this sucks; to know what everybody really thinks of me. Anyone else feel like they have a very unlikeable personality? D:

In your defence, you did warn them :wink:

Meh, some people think I'm a real pain in the arse, but not everyone agrees. I'm easily excitable and a little bit irresponsible, so people get pissed off when they realise I'm still cleverer than they are. I have quite a crude sense of humour and a somewhat unorthodox manner of dealing with people who I find to be obnoxious or unpleasant. People often mistake my passion and honestly for immaturity (& maybe I am a bit, so what? I'm 18, not 38!). I also squeal when presented with cute things, but there we are.

Basically, I don't mind too much that some people think I'm odd or thick because I know I'm a pretty cool cat :cool:. Also, the people that tend to dislike me are often those who I'd rather masturbate a herpes-ridden bull than spend time with anyway :h:

You're not crap for not being cut from the same old, predictable template as a lot of other people your age. It was unkind of your friend to speak to you like that - what happened to constructive advice? I used to think I was a pretty rubbish person because people picked on me and disliked me, but then I realised that there was something wrong with each and every one of them as well - some were jealous, some were ignorant, and some were just so far up their own rectums' that they couldn't help but take themselves too seriously!
Reply 58
AsystoleUK
I figured that was rhetorical. He laughed. I told you not everybody finds such things funnier.

your joke wasn't that funny though. It pretty much relies on shock value for humour and rape jokes have become a bit passe recently.

plus, if the bloke saw it as more than "i'm a lad, i boned a girl", you might have done better by asking about something related to the story? hard to say.
Lust of a Gardener

Completely off topic, but your dog is adorable :love: what breed is he?

OP, you sound like my kind of person :ahee: ish. :erm:

Latest

Trending

Trending