The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pt40
Just two weeks today untill start of Access! OMG where has the summer gone.....better get organised :smile: Good luck everyone.

Mine starts on the 14th, so three weeks for me! Ehee, it's getting a bit exciting now though :smile:
Reply 61
I'm applying for an access course in Sept 3rd. Going there early so that I can improve my chances of getting in.

The course is HE Engineering.
Hello, I am new to TSR but decided to join as I've applied for an access to HE course at City and Islington College starting in September. I have an interview and Maths and English assessment next week. I have no idea what this will entail but I'm quite nervous as I haven't studied in YEARS!. Are the tests basic maths and english? Any info would be very very much appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply 63
7 days to go......:woo:
Reply 64
I have been offered a place at 3 local Colleges:

Wakefield College
Leeds City College (Horsforth Site)
Kirklees College (Dewsbury Site)

I was very impressed with Leeds City College, however it would mean about 2 hours worth of commuting, not a massive problem as it would only be for 2 days per week. Wakefield College would be the logical choice, as it is only a 5 min walk away.
Dewsbury College is my 3rd choice at the moment.
Can anyone help me with my choice???
I need to make my mind up tomorrow as that is when I have my final interview.
Reply 65
I got accepted onto my Access course today! Very excited about the start of term, and although I am wishing away summer, I just want to start!

I also went to a London University open day yesterday to check out their Philosophy course.

Is anybody else applying to London Universities or any hopeful Philosophy applicants?
I cannot wait to start too :smile:
Anyone else a little scared? I know I am :P
ndkathleen
I cannot wait to start too :smile:
Anyone else a little scared? I know I am :P

Absolutly terrified :biggrin:
Reply 68
tari23
I got accepted onto my Access course today! Very excited about the start of term, and although I am wishing away summer, I just want to start!

I also went to a London University open day yesterday to check out their Philosophy course.

Is anybody else applying to London Universities or any hopeful Philosophy applicants?

Yes, I am going to apply to Nottingham for their Joint honours English with Philosophy. I went to see them in the summer to ask about needing any prior knowledge of Philosophy; I thought I might need to take an A level as well as the Access course, but they were happy with just the Access as song as I get merits and distinctions in my subjects.
However, what they did say was to read as much as I could about the subject during the course of this year. Which Access pathway are you taking? Have you any prior knowledge of the subject? I beleive it's quite rigorous, especially the logic.
I'll be taking some 80 credits at level3, anyone else?
The teachers told me this will be roughly 90 essays in total lol

not sure if i should do it, but i really want to get into the top places >.<
Only three days to go till induction!!

Yipee can't bloody wait
ndkathleen
I'll be taking some 80 credits at level3, anyone else?
The teachers told me this will be roughly 90 essays in total lol

not sure if i should do it, but i really want to get into the top places >.<

Blimey! I'm taking 60 - the max we're allowed to take I think - and all the uni's I've spoken to seem to be happy with that number.
Reply 72
Well good luck to those starting access next week! I've got my 2 hour induction tomorrow, nervous as hell, but been waiting for this for such a long time!
Reply 73
I'm starting my access course at Peter Symonds College in Winchester this month. It's not an 'Access to...' course. By that I mean you don't do access to art, or access to science. You have a range of courses you can choose from (like in A level study) and hopefully most people end up picking the ones that relate best.

I'm doing it over two years, because 14 hours for me is too much. I'm significantly disabled with severe illness, and around 7 hours in college is as much as I can manage with getting the work done too!

To the poster who said she/he felt like a fraud: I'm only 19 too... but the age differences really don't bother me. I get what you mean though, I think. It might be thought 'Well, why didn't you do your A levels last year?'. :p:
Pt40
Just two weeks today untill start of Access! OMG where has the summer gone.....better get organised :smile: Good luck everyone.

I am sure u will be fine Pt40 u just start the Access Course and before u know it you be near the end of it as it goes very quickley :yep:
I start on Monday :smile: I also start a new job tonight - lots of new things!
Reply 76
Titch89
Around 14.

Wow, I'm quite anxious now. At Glasgow Uni we only do 4 hours a week - 2 hours each per subject option. Guess we'll just have to be very disciplined when it comes to working from home! :eek:
Reply 77
Roberts75
Wow, I'm quite anxious now. At Glasgow Uni we only do 4 hours a week - 2 hours each per subject option. Guess we'll just have to be very disciplined when it comes to working from home! :eek:

It would depend entirely on the course you're doing. Access to computer studies (what I did) involves a lot of theory and coursework.
Reply 78
Titch89
It would depend entirely on the course you're doing. Access to computer studies (what I did) involves a lot of theory and coursework.

I'm doing Law and Politics, so will expect to do a lot of work 'out of hours'. It's always struck me as strange though, that some university Access courses are half, or even full-time, whereas places like Glasgow (and without sounding like a snob, it is one of the more prestigious universities out there) feel that their students will be equally well equipped to undertake the rigours of full time undergraduate study with just 4 hours a week attendance on Access! I'm not complaining - it's just interesting to see how differently each institution works.

Did you get a place at Glasgow after taking the Access programme? How was it, in general?
Reply 79
I didn't apply to Glasgow. I live in Plymouth and Glasgow is a little too far for me.

Latest

Trending

Trending