The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
my status says unmatched!!!:O HELP!!!.. ANYONE!?!?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
Odear, you best ring them up asap tomorrow.
nbee
Wot do u mean by twinned? surely there is only 1 bed in each room! :confused: And wen u say batches - does that still mean that the people with firm will all get their FIRST choice? coz i did apply on the 8th of March ...

Accommodation isn't allocated on a first come first served basis - everyone who applies by the deadline and meets their offer conditions is considered equally.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/apply/howandwhy.html

So long as track shows that your offer has been confirmed (ie you've gone to UF not CF) then you're in the same boat as the other ~3000 firm undergraduates who were confirmed on results day - whether you applied in January or on the 31st July.
Reply 23
PQ
Accommodation isn't allocated on a first come first served basis - everyone who applies by the deadline and meets their offer conditions is considered equally.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/apply/howandwhy.html

So long as track shows that your offer has been confirmed (ie you've gone to UF not CF) then you're in the same boat as the other ~3000 firm undergraduates who were confirmed on results day - whether you applied in January or on the 31st July.

Sure i can accept that, but while reading the info from that link - these statements contradict the 'no first come first serve' policy: 'However in reality the earlier a student is eligible to be offered a place in hall (i.e. when the Accommodation Service has been advised that the conditions of study have been met), the more choices will be available.' and 'The offer of accommodation is the best option available on the day of allocation.' :eek:

Which means that if your school is slow in confirming ur place (which is no fault of ours) then we are penalised against since we will get the best of woteva is left over on the day! Surely that is unfair :| - feel rather let down tbh ... :frown:
nbee
Sure i can accept that, but while reading the info from that link - these statements contradict the 'no first come first serve' policy: 'However in reality the earlier a student is eligible to be offered a place in hall (i.e. when the Accommodation Service has been advised that the conditions of study have been met), the more choices will be available.' and 'The offer of accommodation is the best option available on the day of allocation.' :eek:

Which means that if your school is slow in confirming ur place (which is no fault of ours) then we are penalised against since we will get the best of woteva is left over on the day! Surely that is unfair :| - feel rather let down tbh ... :frown:

The first allocations didn't start until the afternoon of results day though - by which time almost everyone waiting for A level results had their places confirmed.

Unless your UCAS Track is still saying Conditional and not Unconditional then you haven't been disadvantaged at all - you just didn't get any extra consideration for filling in the application form early.
Reply 25
PQ
The first allocations didn't start until the afternoon of results day though - by which time almost everyone waiting for A level results had their places confirmed.

Unless your UCAS Track is still saying Conditional and not Unconditional then you haven't been disadvantaged at all - you just didn't get any extra consideration for filling in the application form early.

Alright hope thats the case :smile: - just wana enjoy uni as much as possible (since im abit of an introvert i had hoped on chuking myself into the thick of it for once in a good busy accommodation :yep:)

Thanks for info - just over fretting i guess... :p:
Reply 26
nbee
Alright hope thats the case :smile: - just wana enjoy uni as much as possible (since im abit of an introvert i had hoped on chuking myself into the thick of it for once in a good busy accommodation :yep:)

Thanks for info - just over fretting i guess... :p:

OMG, status has gone to 'Unmatched' wot now? :eek:
Reply 27
nbee
OMG, status has gone to 'Unmatched' wot now? :eek:

Unmatched means they've gone through your prefs and there hasn't been a match as yet. How many prefs did you put down on you app guys?

Don't worry. You will get an offer, it won't be any of those preferences, but it'll be something nearer :smile:

If you're really concerned, ring up the hotline, they're open till 7 tonight.
Reply 28
Sarah H
Unmatched means they've gone through your prefs and there hasn't been a match as yet. How many prefs did you put down on you app guys?

Don't worry. You will get an offer, it won't be any of those preferences, but it'll be something nearer :smile:

If you're really concerned, ring up the hotline, they're open till 7 tonight.

Why is this happening to me? when soo many are getting their first or atleast second choices! (i had 3 choices - glen, small, then wessex). Feel soo unlucky :frown:. I rang them up and tbh she wasn't very helpful - just said that no matches were available TODAY - but said they mite find matches TOMORROW or next etc :eek: - which suggests they materialise accommodation out of thin air from day to day... Feel totally let down, I really did not want to have to commute from IOW... but wot choice will i have if i am fogged off with substandard accommodation? Plus she said give it another 2 weeks for offer to come thru! :redface:

Sorry bout such negativity - but i feel so gutted :'(
Reply 29
nbee
Why is this happening to me? when soo many are getting their first or atleast second choices! (i had 3 choices - glen, small, then wessex). Feel soo unlucky :frown:. I rang them up and tbh she wasn't very helpful - just said that no matches were available TODAY - but said they mite find matches TOMORROW or next etc :eek: - which suggests they materialise accommodation out of thin air from day to day... Feel totally let down, I really did not want to have to commute from IOW... but wot choice will i have if i am fogged off with substandard accommodation?

More rooms will free up when people let offers expire...stay hopeful! If there's no reason why you won't be allocated a room, you will be :smile:
nbee
Why is this happening to me? when soo many are getting their first or atleast second choices! (i had 3 choices - glen, small, then wessex). Feel soo unlucky :frown:. I rang them up and tbh she wasn't very helpful - just said that no matches were available TODAY - but said they mite find matches TOMORROW or next etc :eek: - which suggests they materialise accommodation out of thin air from day to day... Feel totally let down, I really did not want to have to commute from IOW... but wot choice will i have if i am fogged off with substandard accommodation? Plus she said give it another 2 weeks for offer to come thru! :redface:

What sort of rooms in glen, small and wessex? Because those limited choices on your application are all that they've got to guide them at the moment.

If you wanted en suite, self catered then you might have been put on the list for an en suite room elsewhere - most people ask for en suite self catered and there aren't enough en suite self catered rooms for everyone to have one. If you're flexible about your preferences (ie would be willing to have a catered room if it meant you could still have en suite or would be willing to sacrifice the en suite to be at glen/wessex) then phone up the hotline and let them know and they'll try to take that into account when matching you.

A lot of accommodation offers went out last week - if someone doesn't accept an offer within 10 days then that room comes back into the pot to be re-allocated so after the bank holiday there are likely to be a whole bunch of rooms back in the pot.
Reply 31
PQ
What sort of rooms in glen, small and wessex? Because those limited choices on your application are all that they've got to guide them at the moment.

If you wanted en suite, self catered then you might have been put on the list for an en suite room elsewhere - most people ask for en suite self catered and there aren't enough en suite self catered rooms for everyone to have one. If you're flexible about your preferences (ie would be willing to have a catered room if it meant you could still have en suite or would be willing to sacrifice the en suite to be at glen/wessex) then phone up the hotline and let them know and they'll try to take that into account when matching you.

A lot of accommodation offers went out last week - if someone doesn't accept an offer within 10 days then that room comes back into the pot to be re-allocated so after the bank holiday there are likely to be a whole bunch of rooms back in the pot.

Oh yea ofc some should come in once some have not accepted after 10 days - depends on whether it will be my turn to be allocated at the time of the new available batch - coz i would probs settle for enhanced/premium room instead of en-suite (and yea im one of the majority who applied for self catered and en-suite :|) - but i dont fancy those 'school' style cafeteria meals lol. So im abit more hopeful now i guess - probs should check status of accommodation less often for the sake of my own sanity :yep: lol. Thanks every1 for advice...
:rolleyes:

Christ guys, relax! Some people didn't get accomm until mid-September last year, and they were twinned, and they weren't in any of their preferred choices! Just because you're not getting your exact first-choice halls on the first week of allocations doesn't mean they're allocating you a dumpster in Portsmouth...

Sorry for being harsh, it's just I don't think people understand how many applications the accommodation office has to deal with, and it's not even been a week since results day yet...:o:
I'm now also unmatched. Applied for en suite self catered in glen, Wessex and small halls and a 4th choice of premium room in glen. Nome of these are available?!?!

Tbh I'm a bit annoyed with the system (penalised depending on your school).

At this point do I have to forget all about en suite? Is my chance of having what I want gone? :frown:
adamscybot
I'm now also unmatched. Applied for en suite self catered in glen, Wessex and small halls and a 4th choice of premium room in glen. Nome of these are available?!?!

Tbh I'm a bit annoyed with the system (penalised depending on your school).

At this point do I have to forget all about en suite? Is my chance of having what I want gone? :frown:

I applied for non-en-suite self catered in glen and wessex, and the status is "Processing - 3". If it turns out you get what I went for, and I get what you went for, we should swap :smile:
Jamaican Boy
I applied for non-en-suite self catered in glen and wessex, and the status is "Processing - 3". If it turns out you get what I went for, and I get what you went for, we should swap :smile:

I would have no probs with that :smile:
Reply 36
arrrggghhhh!!! why do they do this to us!!! all i want is a room!!!!!
Reply 37
I feel soo fogged off and let down by the whole system, I mean I applied really early, and made southampton firm months ago - easily met conditional offer for civil engineering... And yet i find myself with none of my 3 choices, (having waited about 7 days to even see 'precessing' in my status section), fogged off with a private accommodation offer only yeturday, which is deffinately not suitable (in city centre and a bus ride away from uni x( - since im not into nightclubs but interested in sport so wana to be close). Surely wen they say they garaentee me accommodation for the first year in their halls they actaully mean in THEIR university halls? I am certainly willing to compromise for a Premium or Enhanced room in either Glen, wessex or small halls.
Makes me feel like jacking the whole lot of it in sometimes!, i feel like im not wanted and that they just don't give a damn! I mean accommodation is very important, since its the difference between making friends and not (and seeing as i struggle to make friends at the best of times) i need to be around alot of people for best chances of finding someone that is like me. It's also the place where i will be for the next year of my life! - so to me its a big deal, and yet I find myself at the bottom of the 'pile' as it were. The only option left for me is to ring them on tuesday at 8am (monday is bank holiday), and ask to speak to someone incharge who can atleast help, rather than the usual unhelpful info i have been getting from last 2 calls... I feel very dissapointed in the system, and i am now left in limbo whether i will have to commute from IOW (last resort) or i actually find an acceptable offer of en-suite/enhanced/premium room that is self-catered... Any new advice would be much appreciated for i am at a loss here :frown: Possible tips for adding fuel to my fire on tuesday wen i call them would also be greatly received! :biggrin: (and some positive rep!) Sorry about long answer btw but i feel it just had to be said ...
nbee
I feel soo fogged off and let down by the whole system, I mean I applied really early, and made southampton firm months ago - easily met conditional offer for civil engineering... And yet i find myself with none of my 3 choices, (having waited about 7 days to even see 'precessing' in my status section), fogged off with a private accommodation offer only yeturday, which is deffinately not suitable (in city centre and a bus ride away from uni x( - since im not into nightclubs but interested in sport so wana to be close). Surely wen they say they garaentee me accommodation for the first year in their halls they actaully mean in THEIR university halls? I am certainly willing to compromise for a Premium or Enhanced room in either Glen, wessex or small halls.
Makes me feel like jacking the whole lot of it in sometimes!, i feel like im not wanted and that they just don't give a damn! I mean accommodation is very important, since its the difference between making friends and not (and seeing as i struggle to make friends at the best of times) i need to be around alot of people for best chances of finding someone that is like me. It's also the place where i will be for the next year of my life! - so to me its a big deal, and yet I find myself at the bottom of the 'pile' as it were. The only option left for me is to ring them on tuesday at 8am (monday is bank holiday), and ask to speak to someone incharge who can atleast help, rather than the usual unhelpful info i have been getting from last 2 calls... I feel very dissapointed in the system, and i am now left in limbo whether i will have to commute from IOW (last resort) or i actually find an acceptable offer of en-suite/enhanced/premium room that is self-catered... Any new advice would be much appreciated for i am at a loss here :frown: Possible tips for adding fuel to my fire on tuesday wen i call them would also be greatly received! :biggrin: (and some positive rep!) Sorry about long answer btw but i feel it just had to be said ...

What? they made an offer of accommodation not in their own halls? :s-smilie:
nbee

And was it an en suite you went for?

Latest

Trending

Trending