The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
goldsilvy
We can only assume how admission tutors (AT) think.

One scenario is,

1) AT sees a quote at the beginning of PS
2) AT thinks - 'oh, yet another quote, yet another unimaginative applicant'
3) AT skims through the rest of PS without paying any attention to it
4) AT rejects an applicant without having a look at applicant's predicted grades, the rest of UCAS and/or reference. Reason for rejection - 'PS'. Time taken: < 1 minute.

what i'm saying is that quotes aren't a fair means to judge an applicant's 'imagination' because quotes by definition can not be influenced by a student's imagination. what s/he comments about the quote immediately after is what the AT may use to decide whether or not he will pay attention during the rest of the PS.

that's my take on it, anyway.
Reply 21
Good bloke
Apart from the fact that most of them have only forced relevance, as illustrated by the OP's inability to think of one, the use of quotations has a number of disadvantages and few, if any, advantages. They have a strong tendency to be irrelevant, corny, cliches. They represent what someone famous said about something unrelated to the candidate's application; the matter would be very different if a famous and relevant person had said something positive about the applicant's interest, ability and potential in the subject being applied for - but this is never the case. On the plus side, they demonstrate that the candidate either has access to a dictionary of quotations or can use an on-line search engine. That isn't very much is it? And we had a poster here a week or two back who managed to misquote his quotation. Not impressive.

Perhaps the worst thing about using a quotation is that it wastes space. You have to quote the words, and then go on to explain their (usually rather tenuous) relevance. When you consider that most applicants have difficulty in squeezing their statements into the space, this is negligent use of the space that is available and demonstrates poor judgement.

My firm advice is to steer clear.

Big +1 to this.

OP, your personal statement is about YOU, not what someone else said. There are far more appropriate uses for what little space you have at your disposal.
Good bloke
Apart from the fact that most of them have only forced relevance, as illustrated by the OP's inability to think of one, the use of quotations has a number of disadvantages and few, if any, advantages. They have a strong tendency to be irrelevant, corny, cliches. They represent what someone famous said about something unrelated to the candidate's application; the matter would be very different if a famous and relevant person had said something positive about the applicant's interest, ability and potential in the subject being applied for - but this is never the case. On the plus side, they demonstrate that the candidate either has access to a dictionary of quotations or can use an on-line search engine. That isn't very much is it? And we had a poster here a week or two back who managed to misquote his quotation. Not impressive.

Perhaps the worst thing about using a quotation is that it wastes space. You have to quote the words, and then go on to explain their (usually rather tenuous) relevance. When you consider that most applicants have difficulty in squeezing their statements into the space, this is negligent use of the space that is available and demonstrates poor judgement.

My firm advice is to steer clear.

I think this should be a sticky considering the number of times the question gets asked about using quotes. It is a brilliantly concise summary!
Reply 23
goldsilvy
Terrible idea.

disagree. i did and got offers from lse,wariwck, ucl, and birmingham.
Imo, corny.
danny111
disagree. i did and got offers from lse,wariwck, ucl, and birmingham.

You can't ascribe your offers to your wonderful quotation, though, can you? For all you know you might just have squeaked offers, despite dropping that particular clanger.
Reply 26
If the quotation is very relevant, thought provoking, unusual, short and pithy then go for it.
It's unlikely that a quotation you find from google will be any of these things.
Reply 27
I cant find a decent quote and have completely scrapped the idea tbh dudes
I'm applying for audiology and just want something a bit different for my beginning.
I'm getting there ;D
Reply 28
Seems like something a pseudo intellectual would do.
Reply 29
XBurkeyX
I cant find a decent quote and have completely scrapped the idea tbh dudes
I'm applying for audiology and just want something a bit different for my beginning.
I'm getting there ;D

then use this from the bible

And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
:biggrin:

In all seriousness I would steer clear of them.
goldsilvy
What if an admission tutor will be put off by a quote at the beginning of PS and will have a negative attitude towards the PS throughout the process of reading (assuming that process will actually take place)?

Just out of curiosity, can a person who gave me a negative rep for the post above admit to that? Won't neg rep back, no worries :nah:
Reply 31
Good bloke
You can't ascribe your offers to your wonderful quotation, though, can you? For all you know you might just have squeaked offers, despite dropping that particular clanger.

i didn say they took me because of my "wonderful quote".

i merely pointed out that theyr not bad all the time.

whats your problem with quotes then?
danny111

whats your problem with quotes then?

You obviously haven't read this thread very well if you don't know the answer to that. I detailed my views very clearly, and they were quoted by other posters at least twice.
Reply 33
I think is it a bit of a cliché.
Reply 34
I dont think its a gd idea.
Reply 35
i agree with andyh10. definately a cliche
Reply 36
I agree completely with Good bloke. My academic vice principal, who was the one that helped us through the applications, used to be a university admissions tutor and he refused to submit any PS with a quote as the opening. He said that it was frustrating to see people trying to be clever and tying themselves in knots explaining why and wasting space (and his time) in the process.
Reply 37
Good bloke
You obviously haven't read this thread very well if you don't know the answer to that. I detailed my views very clearly, and they were quoted by other posters at least twice.

excuse me that i havnt followed this thread since yesterday and clicked on your post quoting me before catching up reading.
Good bloke

This guy makes good points.

My earliest PS draft had a quotation used by a university to start their open day presentation. I can now see how completely lame, boring and tedious it would have appeared to an admissions tutor. I imagine they'd just skip over it or say 'uhh' or 'bin' in their mind at the sight of one.

I now have a clear, concise and non-wordy opening paragraph that says exactly why I want a degree in [x] and my passion/interest in it.
Reply 39
When I see personal statements with quotes, I can just imagine the people at admissions letting out a long, painful sigh. It doesn't really show much originality or what you're like as a person (pretty much the whole point of a personal statement), just that you're able to copy what someone else has said.

Latest

Trending

Trending