The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
Original post by Rachel_1991
why is manchester so **** i feel like dropping out !

Yeah, maybe you should go to Buckingham, Kent or Surrey instead because they're higher on the Guardian table...
Original post by North Irelandman
Has anyone seen the Maths table? Keele, Central Lancashire and Stirling in the top 10? I don't think so pal. Looking at the CUG rankings for maths these are in the 30's, 40's and 60's.

The Maths ones are shocking, I think this is the same table as the one with Bangor in the top 10 (which didn't have a Maths department).

Leicester 36th, Bath 36th (considered one of the best in the country), Loughborough 43rd :lol: All three were in the top 10 2/3 years ago; even last year Loughborough were 31st, and Bath were 14th.

The swing in university league tables is bad, but the subject tables see jumps of 20 in one year. It's ridiculous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2602
Original post by little_wizard123
The Maths ones are shocking, I think this is the same table as the one with Bangor in the top 10 (which didn't have a Maths department).

Leicester 36th, Bath 36th (considered one of the best in the country), Loughborough 43rd :lol: All three were in the top 10 2/3 years ago; even last year Loughborough were 31st, and Bath were 14th.

The swing in university league tables is bad, but the subject tables see jumps of 20 in one year. It's ridiculous.

LOL. Serves to prove that Student satisfactions + 'face time' =/= quality of the department. Manchester and York way down at 48 and 50 respectively too. Incredible!
Original post by Aquinas
LOL. Serves to prove that Student satisfactions + 'face time' =/= quality of the department. Manchester and York way down at 48 and 50 respectively too. Incredible!

Don't know if you saw my post a couple of days ago, but Manchester was 48th and Manchester Met 49th. Pretty close!
Reply 2604
Original post by little_wizard123
Don't know if you saw my post a couple of days ago, but Manchester was 48th and Manchester Met 49th. Pretty close!

Haha, yeah I saw that. Glad I'm not in the Maths department, pretty embarrassing despite the tables being a load of BS. Just gives MMU a bit of ammunition!
Reply 2605
Original post by JordanS94
Interesting question :smile:

I would honestly use the same universities as you but tweak them a bit.

1) Cambridge/Oxford
2)
3) UCL
4) Imperial
5) LSE
6) Durham
7) Warwick
8) St Andrews
9) Edinburgh
10) Bristol
11) Kings
12) Lancaster (might be a bit bias since I have firmed :lol: )
13) Nottingham
14) Sheffield
15) Newcastle
16) Leeds
17) Exeter
18) Manchester
19) York
20) Bath

This is pretty accurate, however nowadays i'd throw Glasgow, Birmingham, Leicester, Sussex and SOAS into that mix too.
Reply 2606
Original post by swbp
This is pretty accurate, however nowadays i'd throw Glasgow, Birmingham, Leicester, Sussex and SOAS into that mix too.

Don't think Leicester merit a position in it as their average entry requirements aren't high enough (mid-high 300s usually), although they tend to fare quite well on league tables so it must give its students a decent time. Others I'd agree with.
Original post by Aquinas
Don't think Leicester merit a position in it as their average entry requirements aren't high enough (mid-high 300s usually), although they tend to fare quite well on league tables so it must give its students a decent time. Others I'd agree with.

Try 408.
Meh from interviews with some graduate schemes, fairs and dinners this year I picked the brains of some recruitment people from various firms ('Big 4', energy companies, finance, media etc)

(Bear in mind I didn't go to any recruitment stuff for the top investment banks and law firms which are apparently more picky. However I do know someone who has a job at a very good law firm not at a 'target uni' apparently it's 'silver circle')

However I noticed a pattern

Oxbridge
'good unis'
others

When asked about good unis it varied so much between each company that I couldn't really compile a list. Some said they wanted 'russel group/red brick universities' but they had people on their teams who wer neither. Someone said 'what we want is that proof that you're intelligent. A degree helps you out but it's not the be-all-and-end-all. A lot is the interview, your experience etc)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aeschylus
Meh from interviews with some graduate schemes, fairs and dinners this year I picked the brains of some recruitment people from various firms ('Big 4', energy companies, finance, media etc)

(Bear in mind I didn't go to any recruitment stuff for the top investment banks and law firms which are apparently more picky. However I do know someone who has a job at a very good law firm not at a 'target uni' apparently it's 'silver circle')

However I noticed a pattern

Oxbridge
'good unis'
others

When asked about good unis it varied so much between each company that I couldn't really compile a list. Some said they wanted 'russel group/red brick universities' but they had people on their teams who wer neither. Someone said 'what we want is that proof that you're intelligent. A degree helps you out but it's not the be-all-and-end-all. A lot is the interview, your experience etc)

I went to the Law fair here at Ox earlier in the year and spent quite a bit of time with people from various firms, including a champagne event, general drinks, snacks and a presentation etc and other crap after the fair.

The thing is whilst, admittedly, Oxford was kind of dominant most of the recruiters made it pretty obvious that after a certain level, uni does not matter so much as interview performance and EC's. Oh and luck.

Essentially your degree means little in this day and age, its so damn competitive you need some internships etc to even stand a chance. For Law specifically, to complement your account.
Original post by The Lyceum
I went to the Law fair here at Ox earlier in the year and spent quite a bit of time with people from various firms, including a champagne event, general drinks, snacks and a presentation etc and other crap after the fair.

The thing is whilst, admittedly, Oxford was kind of dominant most of the recruiters made it pretty obvious that after a certain level, uni does not matter so much as interview performance and EC's. Oh and luck.

Essentially your degree means little in this day and age, its so damn competitive you need some internships etc to even stand a chance. For Law specifically, to complement your account.

Oh definitely - I don't think we disagree I think once you've got to an interview stage it's very much the candidate and not where the candidate studied - but there was an admittance in the fair I went to (not as glitzy as yours!) that Oxbridge was still the standard.
Original post by Aeschylus
Oh definitely - I don't think we disagree I think once you've got to an interview stage it's very much the candidate and not where the candidate studied - but there was an admittance in the fair I went to (not as glitzy as yours!) that Oxbridge was still the standard.

Yeah this is true, but there are also outlying factors other than prestige i.e Oxbridge students definitely have the minimum a level requirements most firms are after (AAB), coming from a generally more middle class background they're more likely to be able to network. By the time you add in alumni links you can see how all the advantages stack up before we even get to something so ephemeral as prestige.

I guess its a question of probabilities, going to OxBridge increases your chances by quite a bit but its not an easy ticket and people shouldn't get totally discouraged from elsewhere.
Reply 2612
Does anyone have access to the most recent Times University guides? Wouldn't mind seeing the top 40....
Reply 2613
Original post by Aquinas

Leicester's average tarriffs are now a tad higher than Sussex's actually, which is hard for me to wallow as i'm going to Sussex!
Reply 2614
Original post by swbp
Does anyone have access to the most recent Times University guides? Wouldn't mind seeing the top 40....

http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-9063.html

and remember, with entry standards you have to remember to take into account that a lot of the bigger unis (Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton) have massive nursing schools which really negatively affect their entry score.
Hey guys, just wondering - how ''prestigious'' would you classify Royal Holloway as? Could you say it is in the same league as Exeter, KCL, Bristol, Newcastle?
Original post by Desertanium
Hey guys, just wondering - how ''prestigious'' would you classify Royal Holloway as? Could you say it is in the same league as Exeter, KCL, Bristol, Newcastle?

Below King's Bristol and Exeter, in terms of current reputation/prestige. Not that this really matters though.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Below King's Bristol and Exeter, in terms of current reputation/prestige. Not that this really matters though.

Haha, I keep on getting paranoid about this. The Guardian English subject table ranks Brunel, Anglia Ruskin and Chester ahead of Royal Holloway. Royal Holloway is ranked #30 while London Met is ranked #31.

Way to go, Guardian! :rolleyes:

But overall, would you say that Royal Holloway is a good university?
Original post by Desertanium
Haha, I keep on getting paranoid about this. The Guardian English subject table ranks Brunel, Anglia Ruskin and Chester ahead of Royal Holloway. Royal Holloway is ranked #30 while London Met is ranked #31.

Way to go, Guardian! :rolleyes:

But overall, would you say that Royal Holloway is a good university?

I would largely ignore the Guardian table.

RHUL is a good university, more then good in my opinion. A solid degree will be valuable in if you have the skill-set to go with it.
Original post by Smack
Did you not notice the career after 6 month column?

Yes I did but there were two, possibly three fields on the student's own satisfaction / teaching and only one for employment.

That employment column could be the ease of getting a job or how satisfied employers are with graduates of a particular university. Either way, it should be split into two separate fields.

How a student perceives one's instituion is less accurate and certainly more subjective than if it was evaluated by prospective employers, whom I hope, do interview and hire graduates from a wide range of institutions and therefore be in a better position to judge.

Latest

Trending

Trending