The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how in anyones imagination they think durham is an inferior uni to anywhere is incredible. Durham competes highly in a large number of subjects, including competing with oxford and cambridge. KCL as far as I know can not claim this but even if it could you cant just class a top university like Durham as inferior.
Nottingham is awesome. I somewhat regret not choosing to accept my offer there.
Reply 382
Fuzzed_Out
Meh I think it depends on the subject, I'm not going to any of them but I would rank Southhampton and Durham above Kings for Engineering. This is also an opinion that seems to go through the engineering world; at my two work placements and when speaking to others they always rank Soton well above Kings.

Of course you would. King's engineering department was so poor and mismanaged that it had to close down, and hence doesn't exist anymore.
orca92
I think this ones pretty accurate; of course Plymouth should be a lot higher than 61st, i'm talking like at least top 10 but you can't have everything can you :p:
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php

I always thought of Manchester as a widely respected, top 20 university. Guess I was wrong :frown:
In this country the only universities to rank in the top 10 in at least 1/4 of all rankings are (plus seperated for general prestige):

Oxford, Cambridge

LSE
Imperial

UCL

Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, York, Nottingham, Bath

And that's the end of this, and NO, Kings has only ranked in the top 10 4-5 times in the history of all rankings (about 60 of them), and people inflate its reputation because of the THES world ranking.
Byllie
Notts isn't exactly scraping the bottom of the barrell let's be honest. It's in the world top 100 and probably on a par with kings.

Of course. The point being, the student gets brainwashed about the university reputation. She wanted to apply for Warwick but the agents told her that Warwick is not good a university, there have been complaints about faculty is not good and students forced to write exams without being taught and the agents told her deliberately not to apply. She later found out that Warwick is one of the best in UK and regretted she didn't even apply considering her first class with distinction. You get the situation? I am not blaming notts
Well acually Durham is far better than KCL.. Higher entry standards, more prestigious. Theres a reason why its ahead of KCL in the league table, and 4th best in the compelete uni guide 2011..... Biiiiatcch
Reply 387
Luxor
Is it just me who has noticed a slight leeway to universities that have been traditionally left-wing (in the Guardian one)?

I think that's true. Essex was a hotbed of radical left-wing politics in the 1960s (it was banned from University Challenge because some of the students trashed the set), and it always does better in the Guardian and Independent than it does in a Tory paper like the Telegraph. Last year the Independent put Essex 25th in its league table.

The Guardian is also generous to the ex Polys as well
Free force
Well acually Durham is far better than KCL.. Higher entry standards, more prestigious. Theres a reason why its ahead of KCL in the league table, and 4th best in the compelete uni guide 2011..... Biiiiatcch

:mmm: i would say 99.9% of students would choose kings over durham if given an offer from both universities
I always recommend trawling all the different league tables until you find one that best matches your own prejudices and then stick with it.
Reply 390
King's is clearly overrated b/c it's in london.
metallica nutter
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table

now that the times university league table has become less accessible since they have started charging to use their website...people seem to be referencing the guardian one quite alot...but imho the list is not very reliable

im going to kcl in september which is one of the top 25 universities in the world, however the following universities are above it: lancaster, york, leicester, exeter, sussex, durham, uea, surrey,city

i doubt very much if a student was offered a place kcl they would turn it down to go to one of these lesser unis

they also have good unis very low down in the league ie nottingham 21st birmingham 30th bristol in 33rd leeds 35th newcastle 37th manchester 51st (kings 25th) :confused:

reputation > league table

get over yourself, i'd pick durham over kcl anyday. i would definately turn kcl down if i got an offer from durham
Reply 392
davidmarsh01
That league table, like all league tables, is *****. Just look at Maths.
Greenwich ahead of St. Andrews and Durham? Get to ****.

I have few friends who are studying Maths at Greenwich who love the course. They say they learn much better plus one transferred from a better uni(forgot the name, but really top uni) than greenwich and even says that Greenwich Maths department is better than his old one.
metallica nutter
:mmm: i would say 99.9% of students would choose kings over durham if given an offer from both universities

untrue. for chemistry, durham is widely thought of as the third best uni in the uk and completely dominates kcl. that is the only subject i have researched properly since i have no need to research others but unless only 0.1% of candidates are for chemistry then your already wrong. a lot of people also dont like london (though many people also prefer it)
metallica nutter

I would say your head is firmly in the clouds mate, if you get into durham you can easily get into kings. Its funny you use not one piece of empircal data to back up your 'arguments' hehe:eek3:
Reply 395
Troll 1 - Tsr 0
TSR is so easily trolled. That's what you get when you have a forum full of pretentious wannabe students.
Reply 397
I can't even look at the league tables for what I want to do anyway, because it has no section for ecology or conservation and gets put in with other subjects which may differ what it is really. For example when I went to an open day at Hull (Scarborough campus) they said how the department with ecology and marine biology was put in with the biology department at Hull and if it wasn't with them then they would have been higher up in the league table as they had seperate results but they aren't shown on the league tables. To be honest I don't care anyway about what position it is because everyone has different criteria and what feels better for me might not be what other people think or the league tables think.
Reply 398
metallica nutter
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-league-table

now that the times university league table has become less accessible since they have started charging to use their website...people seem to be referencing the guardian one quite alot...but imho the list is not very reliable

im going to kcl in september which is one of the top 25 universities in the world, however the following universities are above it: lancaster, york, leicester, exeter, sussex, durham, uea, surrey,city

i doubt very much if a student was offered a place kcl they would turn it down to go to one of these lesser unis

they also have good unis very low down in the league ie nottingham 21st birmingham 30th bristol in 33rd leeds 35th newcastle 37th manchester 51st (kings 25th) :confused:

reputation > league table

Too right, prestige trumps everything, but sadly uneducated 17 year-olds equate that with the latest rankings. And Lancaster > LSE and ICL says a lot about the Guardian and league tables in general.
Reply 399
Johan C
Too right, prestige trumps everything, but sadly uneducated 17 year-olds equate that with the latest rankings. And Lancaster > LSE and ICL says a lot about the Guardian and league tables in general-- i.e that they portray reality in the most accurate way possible, hence Lancaster > LSE and ICL (which is undeniable).

You sir are spot on!

See what I did there..

Latest

Trending

Trending