The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Times Higher Education has just released a World Reputation Ranking.

Globally, 6 universities dominate the top. In rank order, they are Harvard, MIT, Cambridge, UC Berkeley, Stanford & Oxford.

In the UK, Imperial is 11th, UCL at 19th while LSE at 37th.

The full article may be viewed here (related files are at the sidebar): http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=415429
Top 50: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Journals/THE/THE/10_March_2011/attachments/THE%20World%20Reputation%20Rankings%20top%2050%20.pdf
51-100: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Journals/THE/THE/10_March_2011/attachments/THE%20World%20Reputation%20Rankings%2050-100.pdf
:dontknow:

Okay...
Doesn't mean ****.
Reply 1183
Good lord... what's happened to all our red-brick unis? Surprising hardly any made it to the top 50.

Very surprising my Alma Matter is now rated higher than LSE, 10 years ago LSE was way ahead and everyone used to say I made a mistake not going to LSE.... now it's 11 places behide.

Guess the state vs private debate can extend to USA universities as well.
Reply 1184
B.S. to say the least.

by the way this is a reputation ranking and not an academic ranking. i would love to see the methodology.
(edited 13 years ago)
:bored: Erm who cares?
Strangely they surveyed academics not employers. lol.
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Strangely they surveyed academics not employers. lol.

Oh joy, another league table :rolleyes:

I think there's a possibility of a eurovision style block vote effect with this sort of methodology.

The USA is a large and advanced nation with tons of good academics - but they're mostly going to vote for what they're most familiar with - other US universities.

and I've not been able to determine how many questionnaires never came back or came back spoiled. let alone if there were any regional or cultural variations in response rate. for all I know 90% of all the worlds academics might think a survey of this sort is a total joke.
7 of the Top 10 and 14 of the Top 20 are US universities.

Brief Top 10 View

* 1. Harvard
* 2. MIT
* 3. Cambridge
* 4. California, Berkeley
* 5. Stanford
* 6. Oxford
* 7. Princeton
* 8. Tokyo
* 9. Yale
* 10. California Institute of Technology

World's best universities ranked by 'reputation' (BBC Article Based on Times Higher Education 2011 Table)

Harvard University in the United States has been ranked as the university with the best "reputation" in the world.

The Times Higher Education magazine has listed 200 top universities based on how they are regarded by a panel of international academics. In third place, Cambridge is the top rated among UK universities. Overall, the reputation of the UK higher education sector has fallen drastically, with only four universities coming in the Top 20. The US 'Ivy League' group of universities still dominate.

In the wake of the LSE's embarrassment over links with Libya, reputation has been seen as a valuable but fragile commodity for universities. Sir Howard Davies, director of the London School of Economics, stepped down because he feared the institution's reputation had suffered from the associations with the Gaddafi regime.

Global league tables have spread across higher education - and have become important to marketing courses to the three million international students. But this latest table is different in that it measures how universities are regarded, rather than how they actually performed. A subjective, word-of-mouth quality such as "reputation" has genuine economic value for universities, said Simon Marginson, professor of higher education at the University of Melbourne in Australia. "Reputation is not an illusion, though it might be more vulnerable and fragile than performance by objective indicators," said Prof Marginson.

Based on the views of 13,000 academics around the world, it confirms the status of the big US universities, which dominate this league table. Seven of the top 10 are US universities, headed by Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Furthermore, 14 of the top 20 are from the US. Cambridge is the highest ranking UK university in the list, in third place, with Oxford ranked as sixth.

The LSE, in a table drawn up before its problems with Libya, is in 37th place.For students applying to university, reputation might be hard to quantify, but was an important part of the appeal, said the president of Cambridge University's students' union, Rahul Mansigani. "Reputation makes a huge difference. If there is a perception that somewhere is brilliant, it will get lots of good people applying whether it's true or not," he said. Factors such as a sense of history and the presence of leading academics were part of the reputation of Cambridge, he said. But with worries about university links with dubious regimes, he warned about the need to protect the "moral reputation" of a university. "They need to be very wary of who they deal with - with no compromise over academic freedom," he said.

Reputation is also a highly valued prize for universities such as MIT, ranked in second place - with particular importance for an institution's international reach. So much so that that they might have a bigger global reputation than in some places nearer home. "For a place like MIT, which is primarily about science and technology, reputation is critical," said Danielle Guichard-Ashbrook, director and associate dean of MIT's International Students Office. "We have a very good reputation in countries that value science and technological education. MIT really resonates in most Asian countries. "Whereas you could find a small rural town in the US, where they might not have ever heard of MIT - your average person in China who has had any education will know what it means."

Sally Hunt, head of the UCU lecturers' union in the UK, warned that reputation should not be relied upon as an alternative to financial investment. "We will soon get found out if we think we can trade on reputation alone," she said. Phil Baty, editor of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, said: "In an ever more competitive global market... a university's reputation for academic excellence is crucial. The UK university system shows signs of falling reputation further still, with Oxbridge already being overshadowed by the US and what it looking ever more likely, universities from the emerging world soon too."
(edited 13 years ago)
Already mentioned this morning. See the League table sticky
Is a Reputation measuring device similar to a Geiger Counter?
Original post by River85
Already mentioned this morning. See the League table sticky

Thanks - I didn't know this :smile:

Could this thread still be left open for the next few days of possible (as opposed to being merged with the larger sticky)? It just makes (and facilitates) debate somewhat easier in a separate thread. Thereafter by all means, it can be merged with the main sticky if need be.
Brief Top 10 View Table Format Added.
Original post by manchild007
Thanks - I didn't know this :smile:

Could this thread still be left open for the next few days of possible (as opposed to being merged with the larger sticky)? It just makes (and facilitates) debate somewhat easier in a separate thread. Thereafter by all means, it can be merged with the main sticky if need be.

It's not my call I'm afraid, it comes down to the moderator's decision.

The redirect will still be left in the main forum. Though I really don't see what can be discussed. The methodology isn't clear for a start.
Reply 1194
Hi, I'm sure many have asked this but really how much should I base my choice of university upon league tables?
Is it a matter of taking them with a pinch of salt or what?
Reply 1195
Hi there, I'm applying to uni and I've made my choices and I've gotten my offers.

I'm applying for computer science games, and the two universities I want to go to are Portsmouth and Sussex.

Portsmouth have given me an unconditional offer, so I don't really need to take my exams at the end of the year. (I'm on gap year and I decided to retake some exams), and I really like Portsmouth and I think I'll be happy there.

But the thing is Sussex wants me to take that exam to bring up one of my grades, so I'm asking, is it worth it? I'm perfectly happy with Portsmouth, but Sussex is very high up the league table for computer science, so how much more will that benefit me in the future?
League tables are only important to parents so they can boast to other parents about the prestige of their child's university.
How 'into' the course are you? If you are a seriously talented computer scientist, then where you go does not matter. If you are only average, then it's best to go where you will have an advantage, even one that is as spurious as 'prestige'.
The league tables are (usually) a good indicator of how universities are viewed in the grand scheme of things, but don't take too much notice of them because they use some odd algorithems to calculate the scores, many aspects of which are likely to be completely irrelevant to you.

What you should be trying to find out is the employability rate of students from each course (do potential employers in the computer game field tend to recruit more from one university over the other?), the modules studied in each year of each course (which modules actually interest you the most?), student survey/satisfaction (for example the NSS) results to find out how well you're likely to get treated etc etc.

Once you find out these things you should be able to make a more informed decision about which one to choose.
Personally i think using league tables to choose a university is ridiculous. If you're gonna choose a university based on what someone else has to say about it on a league table, you're taking a big risk. I think there are so many more important things like do you like the place? Do you like the accommodation? Do you like the atmosphere? Does one course look better than another for what your interests are?

Latest

Trending

Trending