The Student Room Group

Gap year - so bored and lonely. And he doesn't like me back.

Yes, I'm feeling bad enough to actually need to make a thread to vent about it :smile:.

I'm on an unplanned gap year, which has turned out to be the worst decision of my life. All my friends of course went off to uni, I've visited one or two, but you know. I decided to move to London to keep myself occupied until uni starts (I can't express how I am dying waiting for that!). So I'm all alone in the big city.

I had a friend here, but she's busy with uni really and we're not that good friends. I met a guy who I liked through her - I really like him :smile:. We were having like...sixteen hour conversations on msn at one point, talking everyday. He was really sweet and I was happy - even though the friend-in-the-middle makes it a bit awkward because I know she likes him and he doesn't like her like that. I actually just decided to be simple and tell him I like him...I think I did it far too soon. It didn't ruin things that much because he was so sweet - but he only thinks I'm 'quite cute' and it has to be more special than that (he's a virgin). But it did shift the 'power balance' in our friendship, so to speak. To be honest, I was just so happy to have somebody I actually like as a friend. We still got along really well for the next month or more...but despite him living really close, we didn't actually meet up that often. When we did, it was really fun though I guess it made it worse with me liking him. Now I haven't seen him in weeks, and he's being a lot colder on msn. I suppose I just have to get the message - I don't want him to just have to be polite to me. I guess maybe I overdid it - he has plenty of friends at uni, he has things to do all day, and I literally have nobody else to talk to.

I'm just so bored and lonely, I feel pathetic. I literally spend all day wishing I had someone to talk to.

The only advice I suppose I'm likely to get it 'meet people' lol...which believe me, is all I've thought about doing. But I don't know where. I'm not the sort of person to meet people on nights out, I suppose if it was at a union or something it'd be different but I'm not a student. Societies? What kind of...bleh. I just don't know what to do. I can't bear the thought of another nine months like this, going days without speaking to another person.

Was supposed to be going out tonight with that guy, but he got busy and we're not now - clear a message as ever :smile:, I'm giving up on him as a friend too. And I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go, too. Yay.

So just generally feeling **** and wanted to complain.
Reply 1
Do you have a job? Or are you doing a course? Or are you literally spending your gap year just sitting at home? :lolwut:
Reply 2
llys
Do you have a job? Or are you doing a course? Or are you literally spending your gap year just sitting at home? :lolwut:

Yes, I have a job. But it's for a very small company (two other employees), so it's not like I meet people there either.

I know...it sounds odd and boring. It is.
Reply 3
To be a bit more constructive: I think you should get a job or go volunteering in London or abroad. It'll take your mind off things, it'll help you meet people, it'll increase your confidence and will give you something to talk about.
Reply 4
Anonymous
Yes, I have a job. But it's for a very small company (two other employees), so it's not like I meet people there either.

I know...it sounds odd and boring. It is.

Oh, I see. :smile:

Maybe pick up a new hobby?
Reply 5
Definitely get a job if you don't have one already :smile:

EDIT: See you have one. Ummmm... get a job somewhere with more people?
Reply 6
Take up St. John's Ambulance.

You get handy first aid skills and they'll always be bugging you to do duties, where inevitably you'll meet lots of people, outside the crew which pretty much becomes like a second family :biggrin: aaand, FREE CONCERTS/FOOTBALL MATCHES

EDIT; plus, in a year I'm pretty sure you could work your way up to at least Advanced First Aider, which looks impressive on any CV.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending