The Student Room Group

The Student Finance Rant Thread

In the past couple of days, there's been a dramatic increase in the number of people feeling the need to rant about the way their applications for student finance are being dealt with.

I'll be moving various posts to this thread, so you can all vent your anger and annoyance together (reasonably politely, please).

Do remember that the student finance system has changed recently, and that it's being reviewed at this time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Right so I'm now sick of it was ready to go to complain. But the complaints form has been removed form the website. If you go by google it takes you to the forms page where it looked like there was a form - but not no more.

I've not met anyone with a positive word to say - we should all complain.
Reply 2
I used to apply on time every year, and never had any problems.
Why are you complaining about free money? I know it can be a hassle, has been for my friends but come on. Complaining?
Reply 4
Been waiting since march and still no proper numbers! People on the phone are no help (often contradict each other), Misleading letters, letters asking for things they've already had or lost.... the list goes on.

Why are you complaining about free money? I know it can be a hassle, has been for my friends but come on. Complaining?
Might get more :p: ?
Reply 5
54m
Right so I'm now sick of it was ready to go to complain. But the complaints form has been removed form the website. If you go by google it takes you to the forms page where it looked like there was a form - but not no more.

I got told today that I may not even qualify for finance as doing a PGCE is classed as a second degree now which they dont have to finance apparently! I too have tried to complain I have e-mailed my local mp under my university's guidance
Reply 6
And after tying to ring them like 20 times they've now told me they have lost the ******* evidence and we might have to send it again.
Reply 7
54m

[email protected]
Reply 8
Its not the student loans company any more it is Student Finance England
Reply 9
emashby007
Its not the student loans company any more it is Student Finance England

SFE is under the umbrella of SLC. I submitted many complaints to the above email address and had them answered. So you're wrong here, really...
Reply 10
lilangel890
Why are you complaining about free money?

The money is not "free" - loans have to be paid back :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Complain to watchdog. They'll look into it probably.
not currently in production though.
Aspiring
The money is not "free" - loans have to be paid back :rolleyes:

Grants :rolleyes:
cpj1987
I used to apply on time every year, and never had any problems.

I applied on time this year and I've had many problems through no fault of my own. They've issued an apology which I guess I accept (if I get my loans on time, ha). There are thousands of people applying every year so there are bound to be some people who encounter problems.
Reply 15
somethingbeautiful
I applied on time this year and I've had many problems through no fault of my own. They've issued an apology which I guess I accept (if I get my loans on time, ha). There are thousands of people applying every year so there are bound to be some people who encounter problems.

:yep: I know. I was just addressing the 'I've not met anyone with a positive word to say' comment, by saying something positive. :p:
Reply 16
Its free until having to pay it back.
Some courses, likely to never pay it back in full.

My wife is partway through an animal management degree at the moment. Working with animals isn't usually the best salaried work. Might be 10 - 15 years before she starts earning £15k a year or more. Then only just.
Or she might just open up a business, in which case her income is only her share of the profits. Could be well below £15k on paper for decades.
And less than 24 years after she leaves Uni, the loan is written off regardless.
cpj1987
:yep: I know. I was just addressing the 'I've not met anyone with a positive word to say' comment, by saying something positive. :p:

I see :biggrin:
Reply 18
Another update: My dad made me phone up again, so he could hear what they said (as its his info they have lost) and a different person started ripping the one bit of evidence they haven't lost which is an official DWP declaration.
I'm pretty hacked off too. I havent heard anything from them since sending off the evidence, however people are right - we shouldnt be complaining about free money. I will only complain if I havent heard anything before I start uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending