The Student Room Group

What to do about selfish best friend of 10 years? (not short but not long either)

Basically me and this girl have been best friends for about 10 years (on and off) all throughout primary, secondary school, college and now university. She doesn't have any family whatsoever (except a guardian) and so she's been quite spoilt all her life; being bought whatever she wants etc but at least this makes her generous. But the whole time I know her, she's never really been affectionate with me-sometimes I don't know if she really appreciates everything I do for her. Her guardian recently passed away and I've offered to do things for her and when other people hear all I've done they agree that I've done more than enough. Of one of the things she's asked me to do, I tried 3 times but failed and then she got really pissy and said that she'd do it herself (which she should have done anyway since SHE knew how to do it correctly and I'd tried) and went off on a huff. I do so much for her (before that) and yet she expects the whole world to fall down at her feet. She always expects me to visit her at her house or at university and sometimes she doesn't reply to my texts. Though to give her credit she is always the one that calls me and not the other way around (I don't have credit). Maybe its just because she's going through a hard time that she's had a go at me once or twice and been more demanding and selfish than usual? I suppose growing up without siblings meant that she had to fend for herself and I can usually never say no to her.

How do I change our relationship?
Down right tell her!

Sometimes people don't realise what they have going for them. Tell her how you feel and you don't feel valued despite you standing by her.
Reply 2
I haven't read it but you're damn right when you say it's neither short nor long. Respect for that.
Reply 3
Tell her exactly how you feel.
Reply 4
Spanishdream
Down right tell her!

Sometimes people don't realise what they have going for them. Tell her how you feel and you don't feel valued despite you standing by her.

Exactly! My mum always says to me that I do too much for her and that she's lucky to have a friend like me-I just think she's not a very affectionate person. I mean she's generous with money but that's because she has a lot of it whereas I don't have a lot of money but am generous with my time and effort etc.

I'm too scared of starting conflict-I've always just pretty much let her walk all over me and I don't know how to tell her this. Especially with the fact that her guardian died, I don't wanna look like a self-centred bitch.
Reply 5
Sounds like a complete bellend.

Ditch her, then make mad profitz yo.
Anonymous
. She doesn't have any family whatsoever (except a guardian) ..... Her guardian recently passed away.

That was enough for me, cut her some slack. Have other friends you can do the nice two-way relationship thing with and be prepared to give to her and receive nothing in return. If you expect her to be irritating and selfish at every turn then on occasion she'll surprise you and it might actually make you feel better towards her.
Reply 7
So she has no family and no guardian either, and she gives you lots of money?

I'm willing to believe she's just as selfish and demanding as you say, but your post is a little vague...
Anonymous
Basically me and this girl have been best friends for about 10 years (on and off) all throughout primary, secondary school, college and now university. She doesn't have any family whatsoever (except a guardian) and so she's been quite spoilt all her life; being bought whatever she wants etc but at least this makes her generous. But the whole time I know her, she's never really been affectionate with me-sometimes I don't know if she really appreciates everything I do for her. Her guardian recently passed away and I've offered to do things for her and when other people hear all I've done they agree that I've done more than enough. Of one of the things she's asked me to do, I tried 3 times but failed and then she got really pissy and said that she'd do it herself (which she should have done anyway since SHE knew how to do it correctly and I'd tried) and went off on a huff. I do so much for her (before that) and yet she expects the whole world to fall down at her feet. She always expects me to visit her at her house or at university and sometimes she doesn't reply to my texts. Though to give her credit she is always the one that calls me and not the other way around (I don't have credit). Maybe its just because she's going through a hard time that she's had a go at me once or twice and been more demanding and selfish than usual? I suppose growing up without siblings meant that she had to fend for herself and I can usually never say no to her.

How do I change our relationship?

You said it yourself, she's going through a rough time. Don't ditch her. She'd have no one to turn to. You're pretty much all she has by the sounds of it and we all treat the people we love the most badly sometimes, (think how we're rude to our parents when we've had a bad day, etc.). She's had a really terrible experience and - whether she deserves it or not - she needs your support.

Perhaps if things are still the same in a few years you might be able to talk about it. At the moment, I'd say the time probably isn't right. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 9
Cut her some slack for now due to the circumstances, but then work out how to say "no" or tell her she's being unreasonable. In the end, she's treating you like this because you let her.
iamkund
Sounds like a complete bellend.

Ditch her, then make mad profitz yo.

Disregard.
Acquire.
I don't think now is really the right time for her to be confronted and for you to raise issues with the friendship. I understand where you're coming from, but if she's going through a really hard time it makes sense for her to lash out occasionally (which I know isn't fair, but it will pass and it's nothing personal). Just stick by her for the time being.

Latest

Trending

Trending