The Student Room Group

Paying rent to parents after turning 18?

If you're in full-time work after you turn 18, is it right for parents to demand rent from you? Also, is this common?

I think it's good if the child offers to do so, but at the end of the day, the parent was the one who decided to have the child so he/she/they should honour that decision and financially support the child. I don't know, it just seems wrong to force the child into a supposedly adult-adult agreement when the child will still very obviously be treated as a child, and probably has no choice but to live at home anyway. My stepdad feels differently :p:

Thoughts? Experiences?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it is common yes. do it.
Reply 2
I'd think it was to be expected if you have a full-time job and you live at home, my friend has to pay his parents rent from his saturday job...I'm glad I never had to do that :giggle: but if I had a full time job I know I'd definitely have to pay rent, as would most people in that situation
My mum charges me rent to live with her over the summers, seems fair enough as she has a pretty low income. Though I guess if your stepdad (and mum?) is rich I think it's a bit unfair.

Oh I didn't read the bit about a full time job - yeah you should then. They're paying food, water, electricity etc.
Reply 4
If you're working full time, yes. Or contribute in other ways.
Only if you have a full time job, not if your in college/uni.
Reply 6
personally, i think it's really wrong to make your family members pay rent; they're not your friends or random lodgers, they're your blood :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Malsy
it is common yes. do it.

I'm happy to do so, I'd never want to sponge off my parents. I'd just prefer to offer and have my offer accepted, rather than it be demanded, especially when it's not an issue of anyone needing the money itself.

Am I right in thinking there's a bit of a middle-class/working-class divide on this??
You should always do it if you have either a regular part-time job and arent studying or a fulltime job where you either arent or are at say night. I paid my parents when i had jobs over christmas/summer/placement year even when I was only working 18 hours a week - but i dont see it as that little, i still felt after 18 and working regularly (without say exurbitant petrol costs) i should pay for living there.

I paid per week £35-£40 for full-time work and the pt 18 hours a week, and have paid £20 when working less. I dont work very much when at uni so even though i live at home i dont think i should pay when i make a grand total of say £100-£150 earned each academic year.

Youve had 18 years free, become an adult and either move out or pay for the privilege of having the roof over your head provided by your parents.
as soon as you end your education, i think parents should impose this.

i definitely would with my kids.

it would encourage them to get jobs, move out and grow up
Reply 10
didgeridoo12uk
as soon as you end your education, i think parents should impose this.

i definitely would with my kids.

it would encourage them to get jobs, move out and grow up

What about if it's on a gap year though, when they very obviously intend to return to education and move out as soon as possible?
Anonymous
What about if it's on a gap year though, when they very obviously intend to return to education and move out as soon as possible?

No, I wouldn't think so. Why would they want to prevent you from saving up as much money as possible for university?

It's really sad that some parents consider themselves to be a landlord and their children tenants. I can understand it if the 'child' is taking the piss by living at home well into their 20s, but not when they're saving money for university.
Reply 12
Yes. My parents said as long as i'm in full time education I don't have to pay rent.
Your in a full time job.
Anonymous

Still working ft and out of education, its not that much money to contribute.
Anonymous

hmm if they are working on their gap year i'd probably make them pay rent. i personally moved out in my gap year into my own house.

although i wouldn't make them pay anywhere near the market price for rent, as well that seems a bit harsh
My brother pays my mother, he's 20 and has a full time job. I think its fine.
i think if ur working full time then its fair enough really.
If your in a full time job, of course.
Reply 18
Jennie1987
Still working ft and out of education, its not that much money to contribute.

It's money you could be saving for uni.
And I was replying directly to the 'responsibility' argument. Fair enough if your child is not showing signs of trying to move out or move up in the world. But on a gap year, you'd have a definite plan to do so.

Pink Bullets
No, I wouldn't think so. Why would they want to prevent you from saving up as much money as possible for university?

It's really sad that some parents consider themselves to be a landlord and their children tenants. I can understand it if the 'child' is taking the piss by living at home well into their 20s, but not when they're saving money for university.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought :dontknow:
If you're in full time employment, that's fair enough, why should they pay your way now you're an adult? If you're at college then it won't be so fair, unless you're working part time earning stupid money...

Latest

Trending

Trending