The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tom9991
I sent off the student finance stuff a few weeks back and they have told me that it is all sorted, which is good. How bad was the delay in recieving the finance last year was it a few days or weeks ? and was there a delay in them sending the uni the money for your course ?

Days or weeks? There's a guy at my college where student finance still haven't sorted their **** out.
Reply 41
davidcy147
Really sorry to hear that. I do hope this year's application is a lot easier for you to get processed.

Thanks :smile: I'm not holding my breath, everyone I knew had at least one problem with them and they have even more applicants this year =/
it doesn't really affect me for a few more months..however, im not one bit surprised
streamline
If my loan status is "Approved" do I have to worry?

I'd still be a bit worried. Mine was approved by mid october, but I didn't recieve the payment scheduled for October until december and they've now changed their mind and cut my funding, having already paid out one of the three instalments. They won't tell me why.
Reply 44
I just sent off a 30 page application for student finance, because i left my course last year and am starting a new one at a different uni at the beginning of september, i filled it out saying id changed the course, gave all the details of the new course and uni, adress, entry point, how much i needed, everything. sent it off, then looked online and it said i'd sent off for a second year funding for my old course and uni, how hard is it to understand, in black and white!!!!!!!
Aimee91
Thanks :smile: I'm not holding my breath, everyone I knew had at least one problem with them and they have even more applicants this year =/

It is true that they have more applicants this year, but as I was discussing with cpj1987 earlier, I think this year there is better infrastructure in place, as well as higher trained individuals to help applicants. So need not worry yourself about it. :smile:
Lifesharker
I'd still be a bit worried. Mine was approved by mid october, but I didn't recieve the payment scheduled for October until december and they've now changed my mind and cut my funding, having already paid out one of the three instalments. They won't tell me why.

That is because you had applied post-deadline, so your payment cannot be guaranteed to be on time, even if it is approved. My friend went through a similar situation. They key is to apply by the dates provided according to wether or not you are means-tested or not.
cpj1987
England's student loans and grants system is at "substantial" risk of being hit by delays again this year, a government watchdog has warned.
The National Audit Office said the Student Loans Company (SLC) provided an "unacceptable" service last year.
It questioned whether the firm would cope with a doubling of the number of student finance applications this year.
The SLC says it is sorry and has vowed to deliver.

Speaking on the Today programme on BBC Radio Four, its chief executive Ralph Seymour-Jackson said: "I am really sorry for the problems and delays and difficulty people had in getting through to us last summer.
"We didn't give them the service they have every right to expect. Lessons have been learned. We've put right the problems of the past and we will make sure they get the right service this summer."
And he made this pledge: "I can say if the student gets me their application with all the evidence by the key deadline of the end of June, I will make sure they have their money by the start of term when they register at university."

The above is a snippet of an article available today on the BBC News website (see the source below for the full thing).
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and discussion on the matter. Do you feel that your applications are running smoothly? Have you prepared and sent your application off already to be sure that it's finalised in time, and if it's not, do you have a back-up plan?

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8575051.stm

My thoughts goes along these lines "ohhh ****!"
davidcy147
That is because you had applied post-deadline, so your payment cannot be guaranteed to be on time, even if it is approved. My friend went through a similar situation. They key is to apply by the dates provided according to wether or not you are means-tested or not.

I applied around a week after applications opened. Don't talk to me about not doing things properly when its the incompetent ******* SLC. They took forever, kept claiming they'd never recieved stuff we'd sent by recorded delivery, finally admitted they'd lost it.... then the whole "you didn't send it" "yes I did" "oh we've lost it" again. Then the nice lady on the phone outright told me I was lying to them and that I wasn't a student and therefore not receiving funding. They finally got their act together somewhere in the region of ten or eleven months after I applied and provided all the evidence.

Like I said, they've now cut my funding and I was told today they have no record of me, despite the fact I can still log into my student finance and check everything from there. I've been outright lied to by them repeatedly.
Reply 49
This is really worrying me =/
Applying for the first time, sent half my evidence off already about 3 weeks ago and haven't received an acknowledgement yet! I'm applying for means tested, so some of the evidence I need hasn't come through yet, so will they acknowledge when they receive all the evidence or is it worth giving them a ring?
Lifesharker
I applied about a week after applications opened. They took forever, kept claiming they'd never recieved stuff we'd sent by recorded delivery, finally admitted they'd lost it.... then the whole "you didn't send it" "yes I did" "oh we've lost it" again. Then the nice lady on the phone outright told me I was lying to them and that I wasn't a student and therefore not receiving funding.

Like I said, they've not cut my funding and I was told today they have no record of me, despite the fact I can still log into my student finance and check everything from there. I've been outright lied to by them repeatedly.

Well, in that case, I can only sympathise with the situation you are in with student finance. Why not take this case further? You can contact your local MP, citizens advice bureau and many other agencies to receive legal help to resolve the situation you are in.
Assandun
This is really worrying me =/
Applying for the first time, sent half my evidence off already about 3 weeks ago and haven't received an acknowledgement yet! I'm applying for means tested, so some of the evidence I need hasn't come through yet, so will they acknowledge when they receive all the evidence or is it worth giving them a ring?

Definitely! Nothing wrong with giving them a call after that amount a time! You have nothing to lose! :smile:
davidcy147
Well, in that case, I can only sympathise with the situation you are in with student finance. Why not take this case further? You can contact your local MP, citizens advice bureau and many other agencies to receive legal help to resolve the situation you are in.

My local MP was how we got it sorted the first time around. I've contacted him again now they're claiming they've never heard of me and pulled the plug on my loan. Hopefully it'll get sorted fast as he's standing down at the next election, but given past experiences I've not got much hope of getting any more funding this year. Thank the Lord for bursaries, I'd already be under if not for them. I'm supposed to be getting the full loan because my parents earn basically nothing, so they can't afford to help me out much when the SLC mess up.
Lifesharker
My local MP was how we got it sorted the first time around. I've contacted him again now they're claiming they've never heard of me and pulled the plug on my loan. Hopefully it'll get sorted fast as he's standing down at the next election, but given past experiences I've not got much hope of getting any more funding this year. Thank the Lord for bursaries, I'd already be under if not for them. I'm supposed to be getting the full loan because my parents earn basically nothing, so they can't afford to help me out much when the SLC mess up.

Well I do hope you find a solution to this problem soon. As I would hate to think your studies would be affected by a easily solved problem on their part!
But do keep active in your investigations and in your efforts to find a lasting answer.
I've been relatively lucky with SLC, they didn't loose any documents and it didn't take too long for me to be approved. My only (somewhat minor compared with others) complaints are: that they sent me an email saying "urgent" claiming they hadn't recieved evidence, when my Dad phoned up and eventually got through the person at the other send said actually they had, and it was just a standard message b) they didnt make it clear that the "final notification" saying I was only entitled to the basic loan actually wasn't my "final notification" as I'd gone means tested. This one got me into a panic as at first I thought I'd only recieve the minimum ammount. Third they changed the secret question on my account, and it was quite a hassle to get it changed so I could answer it again.
Reply 55
Well I applied last year and then dropped out of the system, however I didn't get the confirmation of my funding cancellation from Student Finance until November/December. So I presume I wouldn't have got money until then either had I needed it.

It won't be as bad for me as for someothers if it's late this year, but it won't stop me being royally pissed off.
Wardy23
I've applied online and had my parents send evidences about their income and things but I haven't heard back yet. Anyone know roughly how long the whole palaver takes if I'm applying for means tested support?

ME TOO.
I sent the originals as well, about 2 weeks ago..and havent heard anything...i'm beginning to worry.
:stomp:
Reply 57
sinesquared.
ME TOO.
I sent the originals as well, about 2 weeks ago..and havent heard anything...i'm beginning to worry.

Doesn't it say you can't get them back? P60s and things?
Wardy23

No - you get everthing back eventually.Just as well cos you can't get a replacement P60.
sinesquared.
ME TOO.

It can take up to 6 weeks to process from recieving your application and supporting evidence sent in so 2 weeks is a little early to be worrying really

Wardy23

All original documentation is sent back to you when SFE has scanned it into the system and added to your application

on a foot note if you keep an eye on the correspondence section on your account on the SFE website when you log in it will tell you all communications sent also another foot note if you go through your application as you can read it when sent and its been approved it will tell you when evidence recieved etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending