The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

effyeffyeffy
I think 5 because I should at least see if I can manage the workload. If I can manage it reasonably well, then it wouldn't be so bad to just carry on with the 5. I don't see the harm in trying ...

I think you may struggle with biology if you do 5 AS. I do maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I find the physics very easy and maths is fine. So I put 70% of my time into Chemistry and Biology and I'm struggling like mad to keep up with the work load in Biology, because its so content heavy! And also doing maths helps with data analysis and many of the concepts that appear in biology also appear in chemistry. So i wouldn't recommend doing biology with 4 other non scientific subjects unless you're very capable!
If you really like the subjects, then there's no reason why you shouldn't try. You could always drop one or two if you needed to...it's not like it's never been done before...:smile:
Reply 182
effyeffyeffy
I have an obsession with learning. If I had the chance to, I'd take like 10 A levels :smile: It's taken me a long time, but I've narrowed it down to 6 -

English Lit

History

French

Psychology

Biology

Sociology

I want to study English Lit at university, and (being overly ambitious) I'm looking towards unis like Cambridge, UCL, Exeter, Bristol, Kings, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Cornell & NYU (in that order) :smile:

Would it be best to just do 5 (all except Sociology) or is it worth taking the chance with 6? I've heard from all who study Sociology that its a pretty easy qualification (correct me if I'm wrong) ...

If its to impress unis than no. 4 AS is enough.

If its because you love learning (as you've stated) knock yourself out.
effyeffyeffy
I think 5 because I should at least see if I can manage the workload. If I can manage it reasonably well, then it wouldn't be so bad to just carry on with the 5. I don't see the harm in trying ...

It's not about trying, is that doing 5 is just pointless.

Save the stress and do 4.
im so academic
I don't give a **** about North American universities.

Anyways, why shouldn't she do 6 if she enjoys them?

Err, what happens if she does not achieve 6As?

Grades matter to the universities, not the fact that she enjoys a wide range of subjects - something of which Cambridge doesn't care.

1) The OP doesn't care if you don't give a damn about them. She mentioned some North American universities. Why are you being such a pain with Cambridge?

2) What happens if she DOES achieve 6 As?
im so academic
It's not about trying, is that doing 5 is just pointless.

Save the stress and do 4.

I think she got your point. Now let her take her own decision, for god's sake.
Reply 186
Would just be making pointless work for yourself, you don't even need 4... just do 3. Much less stress, much more time to concentrate on those subjects and get good A levels. If you're aiming for the top unis though, maybe do 4 at AS, but drop one for A2.

If you're interested in the other subjects, then you can research them outside of college/6th form if you wanted to :smile:
effyeffyeffy
I have an obsession with learning. If I had the chance to, I'd take like 10 A levels :smile:

I respect your enthusiasm for education, but I'd stick with 5. Regardless of intelligence etc., there's no point in taking the risk of over-stretching yourself.

I know through a friend (literally only 1 friend, this isn't one of those "you know your friend's mum's cousin's next-door-neighbour's-daughter's.... stories) a girl who applied for Oxford - their standard offer being AAA. She took 4 A2s and in the end got AAAB but Oxford rejected her because of the B.

Why risk it?
effyeffyeffy
I have an obsession with learning. If I had the chance to, I'd take like 10 A levels :smile: It's taken me a long time, but I've narrowed it down to 6 -

English Lit

History

French

Psychology

Biology

Sociology

I want to study English Lit at university, and (being overly ambitious) I'm looking towards unis like Cambridge, UCL, Exeter, Bristol, Kings, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Cornell & NYU (in that order) :smile:

Would it be best to just do 5 (all except Sociology) or is it worth taking the chance with 6? I've heard from all who study Sociology that its a pretty easy qualification (correct me if I'm wrong) ...

Do you go to one of the top schools in the country or something?? :eek:
Reply 189
effyeffyeffy
1. Well, if I have achieved A*s in all mocks (with very little revision) & coursework, it seems logical to assume that the teachers' predictions are obviously inaccurate.

2. That's not why I added sociology. I added it because I enjoyed it. I only mentioned the ease because surely that would make the workload easier to manage?

3. The only reason I keep repeating it is because I'm constantly replying to im so academic, who has mentioned passion in pretty much every single post. And do you really expect me to display a wide vocabulary on a forum? Honestly, it's not exactly like I'm trying to engage anyone here is it. I'm just trying to explain my views. My English teacher (who hates me, so wouldn't say it if she didn't mean it) has recognised my "ability to write and engage an audience", and I feel more likely to trust in what she says than what students say.

4. In real life I'm humble. On the internet you really do have to kind of tell it like it is, because people on here don't know you at all.

5. I'm confused as to why it doesn't make sense to you that I could go to a state school and have a large uni fund. It's not just that I have a back account that happens to have loads of money sitting in it. My mother and grandmother were putting away that money for 16 years so I could go to uni, plus my dad (who I don't really know) is a very, very rich man.

6. The only reason I may have rejected some peoples advice is because they were repeating the point that I shouldn't do 6 because that wouldn't help me get into uni. I have stated (over and over) that this is NOT why I want to do 6.

I don't think any points have been proved in particular. It's certainly odd that you exceeded your predicted grades by so much, your teachers were clearly way out. It's still an inconsistency. There are lots of high achievers on TSR who don't big themselves up. It's not necessary to do that at all. The constant repetition of the word passion just sounds like you protest a bit too much and people who do that are often lacking in substance. Of course plenty of well off people go to state schools, state schools are supposed to be inclusive. I do find it astonishing for a GCSE student, especially at a state school, to have that kind of money sitting in a personal account -but maybe I only know people at the poorer end of the scale. Ultimately, it does seem (as someone earlier said) that you started this thread not for advice but to seek applause and admiration, and I guess some people, well me at least, find that a bit annoying. Btw, why does your english teacher hate you?
effyeffyeffy
Oh my god, EPQ! I heard about this ages ago and wanted to do it, but I forgot. I'll look into it :smile: Doing 5 (or 4, if I did find the workload to be too much) + EPQ would suit me really well, I think.

Btw, thanks for helping me prove my points there :biggrin:

I do five plus the EPQ and I find it manageable; you seem to be a bit more ambitious/hardworking than me so you should be fine! xD Admittedly, I'm going to have a mad rush to do my EPQ stuff after exams cos at the moment I'm doing nothing and just focussing on revision. But yeah, the extended project definitely sounds like your kind of thing, plus you can make it related to studying English, which an extra qualification in sociology wouldn't be.
Victor-PP
1) The OP doesn't care if you don't give a damn about them. She mentioned some North American universities. Why are you being such a pain with Cambridge?

2) What happens if she DOES achieve 6 As?

1) Because in the OP, Cambridge (and other UK universities) were her priority. And it is not North American universities, but specifically American universities.

In fact, upon reading the Harvard, they do not specify the number of A-levels, and they in fact request the candidate to the SAT. More important than doing ******* 6 subjects.

Idiot. You gave me "evidence" from a Canadian university that she will not reply.

You think you are right, but you are not.

2) Well:

*Cambridge looks at UMS scores. It's not about getting As - but getting strong As. To reiterate, it is better for the OP to get 4 strong As than 6 weak As.
*6 As will give her no extra advantage when applying to UK universities.
*I consider it highly unlikely. She's better off doing 4 and working hard to achieve 4 strong As.
yes because exams are not a meausre of intelligence
Victor-PP
I think she got your point. Now let her take her own decision, for god's sake.

But she'll be making the wrong decision.

I don't care what reasons she has for doing 6 A-levels. The point is, it is pointless.

If she is doing those subjects because of her interest in those subjects, but not English Lit, sorry, but she can expect a Cambridge rejection.

Especially considering the fact the OP asks what ECs she should do to convey her passion. :sigh:

Tbh, I find the OP very arrogant of her abilities, and you seem to be a bit on the defensive side on her.

It's not just me who is saying this you know. What about the other people on this thread who AGREE with me.

If she wants to take 6, and she does not get that A in English Lit, let's put it this way, she took a decision, and therefore suffer the consequences of it.

You say "what if she gets 6 As". I say "what if she gets a B in English Lit".

Anyways, 6As is hardly an achievement. :rolleyes:
RiverRubble
yes because exams are not a meausre of intelligence

I agree with that statement. :yep:
Probably not a bad idea. Just not a whole lot of point to it.
im so academic
I agree with that statement. :yep:

judging by your post count you're either a radical muslim or an active BNP member

well anyway thanks for the approval!
Oh my God... I'm back. I'm home. All the time it was... we finally really did it. [screaming] YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
Reply 198
im so academic
But she'll be making the wrong decision.

I don't care what reasons she has for doing 6 A-levels. The point is, it is pointless.

If she is doing those subjects because of her interest in those subjects, but not English Lit, sorry, but she can expect a Cambridge rejection.

Especially considering the fact the OP asks what ECs she should do to convey her passion. :sigh:

Tbh, I find the OP very arrogant of her abilities, and you seem to be a bit on the defensive side on her.

It's not just me who is saying this you know. What about the other people on this thread who AGREE with me.

If she wants to take 6, and she does not get that A in English Lit, let's put it this way, she took a decision, and therefore suffer the consequences of it.

You say "what if she gets 6 As". I say "what if she gets a B in English Lit".

Anyways, 6As is hardly an achievement. :rolleyes:

I agree with all of these statements.
RiverRubble
judging by your post count you're either a radical muslim or an active BNP member

well anyway thanks for the approval!

1. I'm not Muslim.
2. I'm not a BNP member. I support Tory.

Latest