The Student Room Group

meeting boyfriend's parents

Argh! Going to my boyfs in a minute and then tomorrow we're going to cornwall for a few days and we're going to be staying with his family! This will be the first time I meet them and suddenely I am so so so scared! :eek: There's so many things that could go wrong! What if they don't like me? What if I make a fool of myself? What if I offend them?! Help! Or post funny comments/meeting family stories of your own!

Scroll to see replies

i wouldn't worry about it TKR, just get on with it :smile: they could hate you, and they might just hate you- but it's more than likely that they'll try to like you for your boyf sake, so don't worry :smile:
TKR
Argh! Going to my boyfs in a minute and then tomorrow we're going to cornwall for a few days and we're going to be staying with his family! This will be the first time I meet them and suddenely I am so so so scared! :eek: There's so many things that could go wrong! What if they don't like me? What if I make a fool of myself? What if I offend them?! Help! Or post funny comments/meeting family stories of your own!

Ooooh thrown in at the deep end. Staying with them for a few days the first time you meet them will be interesting :biggrin: Never felt comfortable around my ex's parents even after 4 1/2 years. They were so straight laced and I had to be careful to avoid saying controversial things, which quite frankly is hard work for me.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Probably be awkward at first but maybe staying with them for a few days will help it all move along smoothly. Just remember to engage brain before mouth and everything will be great. Good luck!
Reply 3
hehe well i dont think there's any chance that i'll be too coarse for them - they seem like a very down to earth bunch. quite the opposite in fact - i can come across quite snooty esp. in my accent and i dont want them to think im a snob or anything! Argh! Hopefully it will be okay but I cant help worrying - it's natural im sure!
Reply 4
My bf's French and virtually nobody in his family (except him, obviously) speak English, and I don't speak French... be grateful that you'll be able to communicate! :p:
i don't get that? your boyfriend is french, but his family don't speak french?
:confused:
Reply 7
Mrs. Political
i don't get that? your boyfriend is french, but his family don't speak french?

Got it the wrong way round, oops :redface:
:smile::smile:
Reply 9
I face a similiar situation soon, basically try not to be too upfront, be polite and cheerful! try not to look like your sucking up or anything lol, just be yourself and be social. Well that's what I m going to try and do lol!
Reply 10
And don't be too overly couply in front of them - I wouldn't do anything more than hold hands with the boy in front of his/my parents.
Reply 11
Helenia
And don't be too overly couply in front of them - I wouldn't do anything more than hold hands with the boy in front of his/my parents.

Good idea, even if they say they're okay with gays, it would be weird for them. And I know you (TKR) can be quite, err, open :biggrin: so try to tone it down for a bit so they won't get too overwhelmed.
Reply 12
Eeyore
My bf's French and virtually nobody in his family (except him, obviously) speak English, and I don't speak French... be grateful that you'll be able to communicate! :p:

Hehee should be interesting. :p: I'm in a similar situation but thankfully I speak some English so they don't have to learn some Dutch. :biggrin: My bf however *is* learning Dutch (sort of :biggrin:).
hugatree
Hehee should be interesting. :p: I'm in a similar situation but thankfully I speak some English so they don't have to learn some Dutch. :biggrin: My bf however *is* learning Dutch (sort of :biggrin:).

Hehe, I'm going to try and learn some French, but the thing is finding the time to do it! :p: I've met them lots of times now but have always relied on my bf to translate things, which gets a bit boring for him after a while!
Reply 14
haha my parents caught me and my gf wearing only towels on our balcony and she was smoking, I doubt you'd do anything worse than that and she still managed to survive them :p:
Reply 15
ponjavic
haha my parents caught me and my gf wearing only towels on our balcony and she was smoking, I doubt you'd do anything worse than that and she still managed to survive them :p:

my dad caught me on my knees and my bf in all his glory. beat that
Reply 16
grace
my dad caught me on my knees and my bf in all his glory. beat that

I'll try next weekend :top:

so erm what happened? :rolleyes:
Lol, when my bf and I were staying with his sister and her family, we were sleeping in one of her son's rooms (he's seven) and were in the middle of -ahem- when the door opened and several of the kids came in!!! LUCKILY we had the duvet over us and weren't in a too comprimising position so we pretended to be asleep until they went away! :redface:
Reply 18
Eeyore
Hehe, I'm going to try and learn some French, but the thing is finding the time to do it! :p: I've met them lots of times now but have always relied on my bf to translate things, which gets a bit boring for him after a while!

Yes learning French would be the best thing to do. :wink:

grace
my dad caught me on my knees and my bf in all his glory. beat that.

:rofl: Then what happened?
Helenia

Same here. My ex's mum really disliked me so I wasn't around her much anyway. I have already met the prospective new boyfriends mum though...I get the feeling that I would be so much more welcomed by this family. But being couply in my opinion is a big no no!!

Latest

Trending

Trending