The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Guitarmarama
Sorta, but Mancs is actually short for Mancunian, whereas scouse (liverpudlian)/geordie (novocastrian)/deedar (sheffielder) dont seem to be related to their relative names... Does that make sense?

Not sure...

But a Geordie is from Newcastle, and a Manc is from Manchester.

Is Manc also used to denote the Manchester accent, in the same way that geordie or scouser is?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Beekeeper
Not sure...

But a Geordie is from Newcastle, and a Manc is from Manchester.

Is Manc also used to denote the Manchester accent, in the same way that geordie or scouser is?

Yeah I guess so, although I never say "I have a manc accent". My accent is kinda weird, it's obviously northern and from manchester-ish, but it's not got any specific place, probably cuz i went to a school/6th form with people from all over the place and my parents are welsh so I don't really have a specific northern accent, although it is northern.
Beekeeper
Just did a random search on Wikipedia:

"People from Sheffield are called Sheffielders.

They are also colloquially known to people in Barnsley, Rotherham, Dronfield and Chesterfield as "Dee-dars" (which derives from their pronunciation of the "th" in the dialectal words "thee" and "thou")[1] although the term is in decline and is not nearly as prevalent as "Scouse" is for "Liverpudlian" or "Geordie" is for "Novocastrian"."

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously though, Dee dar?

Ah bloody said that ages ago! Meh, I'm invisible. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending