The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone with willpower can cut down regardless of the addictiveness.
Reply 2
All cigarettes are highly addictive. Tell him to switch instead to a nicotine inhalator, which he can get free from the NHS.

Addiction is not only about the chemical dependence but about the physical habits, and the inhalator is a lot like a cigarette and gives you something to do with your hands. Hth! :smile:
Reply 3
Amit92
Well basically, I have a friend who smokes about 200 cigerettes a week. He wants to cut-down and is looking for a cigarette brand that is not very addictive if that makes sense. I know they all contain tar,nicotine etc..but their must be a brand that is less strong/addictive compared to another brand?

Thanks

That's nearly 30 a day, what does he do inhale them?
they did a study in the 80s to find a way of making a less harmful, non-addictive cigarette. Of course the nicotine is what's responsible. When they reduced the nicotine content the smokers simply inhaled deeper and smoked more cigarettes.

all you can do is choose the ones with less tar that cause less harm... but theres no way around the addiction.

someone said e-cigarettes worked as they get you out the habit of going to the shop to buy cigarettes...

or he could go cold-turkey...
Reply 5
Diaz
That's nearly 30 a day, what does he do inhale them?

Probably...

Anyway OP: I don't think choosing a 'less addictive brand' is going to help. Maybe for a placebo effect. In reality he just has to suck it up and have some willpower.
Reply 6
yeah just give up, it's really not that hard. I was on 20-30 a day for 8 years, the thought was way harder than actually doing it
Reply 7
philip morris...
Reply 8
Amit92
Well basically, I have a friend who smokes about 200 cigerettes a week. He wants to cut-down and is looking for a cigarette brand that is not very addictive if that makes sense. I know they all contain tar,nicotine etc..but their must be a brand that is less strong/addictive compared to another brand?

Thanks

*There

In all seriousness, i doubt different brands make that much of a difference. Take it from a former smoker, they're all as addictive as eachother. He's just going to have to ween himself off like everybody else.
this is such a painfully retarded question.
Reply 10
Silk cut have very little nicotine, pencil filters
Marborlo Lights?
jpatel10
*There

In all seriousness, i doubt different brands make that much of a difference. Take it from a former smoker, they're all as addictive as eachother. He's just going to have to ween himself off like everybody else.

Stop being such a faggot.
Reply 13
Something girlish, so he'll stop smoking just to avoid being ridiculed.
Reply 14
fox_the_fix
Stop being such a faggot.

I was joking around. I've talked to Amit quite a few times on here
jpatel10
I was joking around. I've talked to Amit quite a few times on here

My bad then bro.
Reply 16
Here's whatcha do. Smoke 50 regular strengths - Marlboro Bright Leaf, Red, Lucky Strike Original, L&B if you have to - for the first day. You will be charged with nicotine. The next day, smoke 3 or 4 extra light ones - Marlboro Silvers have like 0.2 nicotine. After that, you can find it easier to quit.
Reply 17
fox_the_fix
My bad then bro.

No harm done :smile:
If he really only wants to try a weaker brand, instead of switching over to a nicotine inhalator; then he should try Silk Cut.
Reply 19
it says on the pack how much nicotine and tar a pack contains, I dont know which brands contain the lowest but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. I take it your looking for the one with the lowest nicotine, which is the addictive substance in cigerettes. the problem is that he's already addicted, so he might "need" a certain amount of nicotine. therefore, smoking low nicotine cigerettes might not provide him with enough relief from his addiction , and he might end up smoking a lot more cigarettes. Smoking more cigarettes, even if they are low tar and nicotine, would actually be worse. instead, it might be better to try to get him to gradually smoke less of what he already does smoke, although of course, that is easier said than done

Latest

Trending

Trending