The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Slightly off topic yes, but still.
I watched it last night, it was good. But I have made a promise like that, ****ed it up, but I am planning to start afresh in a few weeks time, once Ive spoken to the Chaplain at my college.
go without sex for 5 weeks i dont think i could no way
Reply 122
DesertTraveller
I haven't found anything to that effect either. I wonder how many of our teenagers would be prepared to take the Silver Ring? Would any of you? In this country if you tell someone that you're 18 and still a virgin they look at you as if you are some kind of freak! I don't necessarilly believe in abstinence until marriage but I do believe that there should be some discrimination in choosing sexual partners. However I don't feel it would be appropriate for me to pass judgement as this is something I have never experienced for myself but it would be intriguing to hear some of your opinions.

I think the "18 + virgin = freak" mentality is only prevalent in certain bits of society. By the time you get to university, it's generally accepted that most people aren't, but people probably won't care too much if you are, or at least that's what I found, with one admittedly nasty exception.
I'm no fan of the Puritans either their "efforts" were particularly detremental to the UK after the Civil War but that is beside the point. The Silver Ring Thing shouldn't be made without full commitment but if you choose to break it it should be for the right reasons. Entering into it should not be undertaken lightly nor indeed should marriage be , far too many marriages are being ended by divorce these days and perhaps a general shift towards more restrained sexual relationships could rectify this?
shellyanne
go without sex for 5 weeks i dont think i could no way

They were talking about 5 months. So what will you do if things end with your boyfriend?
Helenia
I think the "18 + virgin = freak" mentality is only prevalent in certain bits of society. By the time you get to university, it's generally accepted that most people aren't, but people probably won't care too much if you are, or at least that's what I found, with one admittedly nasty exception.

I think you'll find that at least a third of people are virgin when they arrive at Uni :wink:. Considering that at 16/17, half of people are still virgins and that people who go to Uni tend to be a tiny bit more clever when it comes to sex, as they have a different upbringing...
I have to agree with Sam there - and it's not just because he's the man! I would guesstimate 1/3.
Well this is all very reassuring I must say! I was beginning to feel a bit strange as I seemed to be the only person I knew who was still a virgin! I was quite shocked though by the TV programme in so much as children as young as 12 were a) having sex and b) were gettingdrunk into the bargain! Am I the only one that thinks that there is a drop in morality or at worst common sense?!
Clarkey_Berlin
I have to agree with Sam there - and it's not just because he's the man! I would guesstimate 1/3.

Haha... it's just about simple maths. :cool: You always notice that people's claims never add up. and DesertTraveller, that's what every guy worries about from the day he turns 12: lies and exaggerated claims from a handful of people end up making you feel like you're not normal and this is the thought going through the minds of the vast majority while a minority exaggerate or make up stories about their escapades. It's only once we were about 19 or 20, that some of my mates finally admitted to having lied when they were 13 or 14...just to fit in.

Sure there'll always people at it but they're not always the norm.

I know loads of guys at Uni who were virgin until 21 or 22 and I'm sure a considerable number of some people are still virgin, and not necessarily out of choice.

What you should worry about is about meeting a girl, not about getting the sex...otherwise you're 25, have had several sexual escapades but haven't had a proper relationship.
You should meet some of the girls I know! However I do agree with you that it is important to meet the right person. As for the 1/3 virgins I was quite surprised at that, I don't know why but I would have thought there would be more! I know what I said before but that was about the closed environment and with what you've said about people lying to fit in I was still quite surprised! :smile:
Reply 130
DesertTraveller
Well this is all very reassuring I must say! I was beginning to feel a bit strange as I seemed to be the only person I knew who was still a virgin! I was quite shocked though by the TV programme in so much as children as young as 12 were a) having sex and b) were gettingdrunk into the bargain! Am I the only one that thinks that there is a drop in morality or at worst common sense?!

Well, I do go to a freakshow of a university, wonderful though it is, which possibly has a higher-than-average percentage of virgins (cos we were social misfits at school! Yay!), but nobody is really that bothered in general; apart from drunken games of I Have Never it's not been something we've talked about too much.
Helenia
Well, I do go to a freakshow of a university, wonderful though it is, which possibly has a higher-than-average percentage of virgins (cos we were social misfits at school! Yay!), but nobody is really that bothered in general; apart from drunken games of I Have Never it's not been something we've talked about too much.

haha

agreed. My Christian, virgin mate was playing i have never, with some old school friends. Needless to say, he stayed very sober!
I watched it. The crazy american Pastor annoyed me a bit especially when he was disagreeing with the kids and saying that life isn't about experiences and that it was just one step up to marriage. I thought the kids were taking a lot more sense as they quite rightly were saying that you have to make mistakes in order learn and life is about experiencing things etc.

I don't think I could go without sex for 5 months. I enjoy it and it isn't bad for me so I wouldn't consider it really, especially if I was in a relationship.
~*Sweetness*~
I watched it. The crazy american Pastor annoyed me a bit especially when he was disagreeing with the kids and saying that life isn't about experiences and that it was just one step up to marriage. I thought the kids were taking a lot more sense as they quite rightly were saying that you have to make mistakes in order learn and life is about experiencing things etc.

I don't think I could go without sex for 5 months. I enjoy it and it isn't bad for me so I wouldn't consider it really, especially if I was in a relationship.

I agree about the experiences bit but how many times does one "experiment" with sex, in the usual way (not wishing to cause offence but its late and I can't be bothered to rephrase my clumsy English, sorry!) and is sex something we need to experiment with? Surely one can experiment with sex after marriage it is not absolutely necessary to experiment with it outside marriage is it? If you disagree answer me this, how do you propose to experiment with marriage without making a commitment?
Reply 134
Vienna
a) a 15yr old is not an adult, far from it.
b) its possible to teach a moral message without preaching.

How can a 15 year old be far from being an adult, when only 3 years later they are an adult :confused:
I mean 36 months isn't a lot to mature in.
Reply 135
saturn
How can a 15 year old be far from being an adult, when only 3 years later they are an adult :confused:

Put a 15 year old next to an 18 year old and you will see a drastic difference.
36 may not seem a lot of time, but a HELL of a lot changes.

Take someone just about to embark on their GCSEs and someone just about to start their A Levels - totally different. Or how about a uni fresher or someone just about to graduate - again, there is a huge difference in maturity and life experience.

36 months is a long time in EVERYONE'S lives. A lot happens in 3 years at every stage of life, and even more happens between 15 and 18 when SO SO SO much goes on to shape who you are.
saturn

I would say it's a HUGE difference, I'm 18 now and I've changed so much since I wa 15 in terms of the way I think etc...
SamTheMan
They were talking about 5 months. So what will you do if things end with your boyfriend?

5 months :eek: OMFG well first things aint gonna end with my boyf and second if they did id just find someone else to have sex with! 5 months, thats a joke, right?
Reply 138
Helenia
I have to say I was unimpressed by the atmosphere they thrust the kids into in the States, and particularly by that pastor. While they were very rude to him, his views and his absolute refusal to listen to anything else made me have little sympathy with him. Even the Christian guy in the group felt that he was uncomfortable with it. Plus, he was just such a bad singer! Having sung in a chapel choir and heard some of the best choirs in the world, the dull crap he was belting out did NOT fill me with the Holy Spirit :wink:

As for the Silver Ring thing, when I was about 15/16 I thought it was a really good idea and was considering signing up to it, but I'm much less sure now as it doesn't actually teach you anything about sex apart from that it's A Bad Thing, which it's not, in the right context for the right people.

I just hope that on returning to the UK they return to the less Christian, more self-exploring, method of teaching. These kids are not all going to convert to Christianity, but they might be persuaded to raise their own personal moral stanards.

LOL about the Holy Spirit thing! :rofl:

And yeh I reckon something like that programme could be useful to people who're actually thinking about stuff like this and may/may not want to change. I didn't know it was on :frown: it sounds interesting. I don't think I ever understood why teens today are so I dunno... reliant? on sex. It's like "if you're still a virgin you're a loser" type thing? Or relationships that die cus there's no sex - I don't get that. Relationships are more than that, after all. I can understand why it'd be wise to keep sex after marriage.
Reply 139
saturn

Lol I'd say even an 18-year-old isn't exactly mature, not to mention a 15-year-old! I got a friend in yr10 and she's far from mature and I can remember when I was 15 I thought I was sooo mature. Now, at 18, goodness, 15 is young! And still I know I've got loads more to learn and still have to grow and I'm an adult - by law, at least :biggrin: And I can tell such difference between this 22-year-old guy I know from say, a 19-year-old. There're drastic differences in maturity in the space of 3 years. For more obvious examples - try working with a 5-year-old and a 7-year-old :wink:

Whoa 36 months - not a lot!? :eek: I'm not the same person I was back when I first started yr13 in September! - and it's only been a year. Mind you, it has been a tough year :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending