The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ok the P sighn joke is not funny any more - i just thought they might understand as me being a knew driver.
Exam stress? What a valid excuse.
All the time. When they're at stupidly perfect right angles to the road you don't see them until you're already turning. What are you meant to do - swerve back into traffic?

How many times do you see camera signs and there not be any? Depends how Stalinist the local road authorities are, I s'pose.
mbutt91
ok the P sighn joke is not funny any more - i just thought they might understand as me being a knew driver.

Off topic, but why do you add letters to words? I mean people write "wot" and "u" etc for speed sometimes but why would you add letters? It means something completely different and makes no sense. Is this why you went the wrong way down a one way road, "Whon Whaay" may be easier?
Reply 24
^aw c'mon it's clearly a typo
Reply 25
dannicottell
Off topic, but why do you add letters to words? I mean people write "wot" and "u" etc for speed sometimes but why would you add letters? It means something completely different and makes no sense. Is this why you went the wrong way down a one way road, "Whon Whaay" may be easier?

r u talking about the P sighn - it means pass
Reply 26
I think they're taking about you being a 'knew driver'...
Reply 27
hey..im pretty sure u'll be fine, altho, my cousin did get fined for going down a road that had a no entry sign (or wateva it is...) but most the tym the cameras are fake and they're there juz to scare u...however if u do get a letter, juz say that was the first time u were in the area and u were stressed...they can't do much about it reli! :smile:
Oh ****, you got caught by the wrong way cameras, pwned....

-.-
Reply 29
You shouldn't be driving if you're in that much of a state about exams, you're a danger to the rest of us road users.
Reply 30
xami
Hey..I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, although, my cousin did get fined for going down a road that had a no entry sign (or whatever it is...) but most the time the cameras are fake and they're there just to scare you...however if you do get a letter, just say that was the first time you were in the area and you were stressed...they can't do much about it really! :smile:

I'm pretty sure there aren't any fake cameras kicking about either...
Reply 31
Benjybh
I think they're taking about you being a 'knew driver'...

oops,:ashamed2: ... simple error please forgive:yes:
I see people do it all the time on a road in town, and see a lot of cars try to go down a road which is for buses and pedestrians only outside the shop at work. I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 33
Jez RR
It's the height limits you want to watch out for :wink:

When in France, if you are merrily tonking along down a dual carriageway, in the centre of Lyon, for example, if you should see a curious overhead gantry across the road with red and white chains hanging down, and a height warning sign in metres, try to know in advance what 14'6" is in metres.

And if you can't do the maths, do not decide "Ah well, it's only a little chain. Bit of a scraping sound and she'll be right." Because round the next bend will be a tunnel exactly 14'5" in height.

And if it does finally dawn on you that you are in the merde good and proper, consider jumping out the cab and running away and joining the Foreign Legion for the quiet life. Because reversing a 14'6" high, 60' long double artic trailer down a French dual carriageway under the steely gaze of the gendarmerie - at 3pm on a Friday afternoon in the centre of Lyon - is an experience that will leave you scarred for life.

Ouch. I thought doing a three point turn with a 16' boat on the back of a fully laden car (pretty much no rearward visibility) wasn't fun!
If it's any consolation, I did see a great program a while back where a circus lorry had gone down a road with a bridge too low for it to pass under. The driver didn't try to go under the bridge, but did try to turn round, and managed to somehow get the lorry perfectly wedged between two trees, broadside on to the road. They had to chop one of the trees down to get it free again.
Happened to me once, and it was at the worst of times, when I had just bought a new car. The garage had anothe exit where they had parked the car away from the main rd. I never used the streets round there normally , and the exit for this garage was in the middle of a fortunatey quiet one way street.

I then proceeded down it the wrong way, and happened upon two girls (chav looking) who were waving at me , and making signs with their hands.I thought wow, it is true what they say about females and nice cars, and I briefly wondered if they would just blow me now because I was in a jag. I stopped and one said 'you is going down this street the wrong way you bellend'.
Reply 35
The Stig
Wrong-way camera's do not exist. So you're fine.

Yes they do, but they're pretty rare. They're usually CCTV cameras, as opposed to a Gatso or whatever. There are also cameras for bus lanes, and to catch people who wrongly stop in a yellow hatched box.

OP, if you show us the exact location, I'll be able to tell you if there are cameras.
Haaa I went the wrong way down a one way road, which also happened to be bus only (in front of the hilton hotel, with a camera) about 2 weeks after I passed my test, and I never heard a thing about it. People make mistakes with one way roads occasionally, perhaps they only use them for serial offenders?
Reply 37
Yeah, I have to confess to having done this when following directions from my boyfriend at the time. Got pulled over and some sharp words, but sent on my way without a fine or points etc. Happy days.
Reply 38
Deutsch_Beth
Haaa I went the wrong way down a one way road, which also happened to be bus only (in front of the hilton hotel, with a camera) about 2 weeks after I passed my test, and I never heard a thing about it. People make mistakes with one way roads occasionally, perhaps they only use them for serial offenders?

is this in Cardiff? I don't think there is a camera, I go through that bus lane all the time.
Carl
is this in Cardiff? I don't think there is a camera, I go through that bus lane all the time.

Yeah, in Cardiff, I was told there was a camera by the guy sat next to me, didn't actually see one myself so he must have been wrong. And lol why do you do it all the time? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending