The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Included with my insurance (£180 a year fully comp), recovery anywhere in UK and Europe.
Reply 2
AA, £9 a year
Reply 3
AA... Free.

Worth it? Probably, not had to use it yet... but considering its free, can't complain
Reply 4
RAC, £73, got roadside assistance and recovery from anywhere in the UK. Havent used it yet.
AA..It's £28 for basic cover at the moment, which I think is half price. I couldn't get my car to start last week and a lovely AA man came and changed my battery :smile:
I'm with the AA. It costs £160 pa for roadside, relay and homestart. Have always been with them and have called them out many a time. Definitely worth it as I've had cars conk out in all sorts of awkward places and they've always sorted me out.
I havent got it!!!! My bf keeps saying he will add me to his AA one but so far nothing! I should probably get it really... hmmm
It came with the car, never used it.

ISTR lots of paid-for bank accounts offer it now - HSBC and Natwest at least if not more.
Reply 9
How comes people have such a difference in price? Like with the AA it can vary from £6 to £160?
I think I might get it now, since people have found it useful. Is there a difference between AA and RAC? They both cost the same.
Reply 10
Cost me $34.99 from B&Q

Yeah I'm with Auto aid, my car broke down on the way to a race circuit (400 mile round trip) I was about 20 miles from home. They arranged for me to be taken to cadwell park (with my car) and they arranged for me to go from Cadwell to my home 2 days later. I paid for it all on my credit card and claimed the money back from Auto aid no problems!

Auto aid is great if you have a credit card/money to pay up front then you claim it back... I think I pay about £35 a year!

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/works01.htm
I'm with the RAC and it's awful. I'm not sure exactly how much it cost as it was a present, but according to my mum it was expensive. The one time I've called them I couldn't get through for 10-15 mins, they gave me a mini interview which used up loads of credit and then needed an exact postcode to come find me (even though I had given them the rest of the address, and was in a supermarket carpark, so a fairly obvious location). Finally they said that it would take a minimum of three hours to get to me. I rang them back and said that I'd sort it out myself, but I got a message about five hours later saying they were there and where was I :rolleyes:

So in conclusion, it's definitely not worth it with the RAC, but definitely get it with somewhere else if you can :smile:

Airxtraffic
How comes people have such a difference in price? Like with the AA it can vary from £6 to £160? I think I might get it now, since people have found it useful. Is there a difference between AA and RAC? They both cost the same.

The more you pay the more you get. The cheap one would probably only cover you for the UK and tow you to the nearest garage, whereas the most expensive one would probably take you wherever you need to be (probably home) from anywhere in Europe. I'd go for the AA if I were you - my friend's an AA member and when I broke down he got them out for me within half an hour and they took me home. Much, much better service.
Reply 13
I did have my break down cover included in my insurance, but about a month ago i broke down and tried to fone the number they gave me and it just rang out ! I tried it a few times and nothing, my dad had to come and get me, he called the AA as he was a member they kindly came to get me in around 5mins ! They were great so iv removed the cover off my insurance as i was paying extra for it!! I have joined the AA and would recommend them because one day you will break down and without cover you might get stuck on the roadside with no way of moving your car! Not sure how much the AA is though as my dad pay's for it i dont think it is much though.
I got it for £28 with AA for basic cover. Last time i checked RAC did it for £28 too. Have had to use it once when my car wouldnt start when i came out the supermarket. Had to have my car towed home by a very nice man who put his flashing lights on for me and everything.
Reply 15
Anything I can't fix at the roadside they can't fix at the roadside, if I need a tow i'll just give a mate a call.

It'll probably backfire one day when I break down miles away from home, and it's a long time coming, not broken down in 2 years of driving, always keep my car in fine working order and completely spotless.
Reply 16
Just signed up with the AA for roadside and relay assistance. £68 for the year and it's bloody well worth it, I can tell you!! Had to be brought home from Fleet Services when my bike conked out. Communication between them and myself was very good and the agent who picked me up was a rider himself!
Reply 17
I've got cover with the AA, as do the rest of my family, plus my insurance cover that came with my Footman James policy. Be careful with the cheaper ones as they'll often only take you to the nearest garage rather than the one of your choice, or home in my case as I'd rather fix it myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending