The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dichotomy
I have yet to speak to UCL (tomorrow) so I was wondering what I can do/what I should say to them.

Ask them to reject you. Now.

Assuming they're amicable, you lose the UCL offer and LSE becomes your only standing offer.
Reply 2
Contact LSE?

If they gave you an offer, evidently they want you there; just tell them that you made a silly mistake. Hopefully, if you plead enough, you'll make some headway. EDIT: you might want to speak to LSE again before trying the above method, just in case.
porkstein
Contact LSE?

If they gave you an offer, evidently they want you there; just tell them that you made a silly mistake. Hopefully, if you plead enough, you'll make some headway. EDIT: you might want to speak to LSE again before trying the above method, just in case.

In case of what?
Reply 4
TheSownRose
In case of what?

Generally, 'just in case' doesn't imply that one is aware of a specific potential problem with a given course of action; only that the action could be inherently risky and it might be worth proceeding with caution.

So sure, I don't see any problems (initially) with your suggestion - hence why I mentioned it in my previous post - but rejecting an offer isn't something you want to jump straight into, aye?
Reply 5
TheSownRose
Ask them to reject you. Now.

Assuming they're amicable, you lose the UCL offer and LSE becomes your only standing offer.

Hey,
That's exactly what I'm hoping to do tomorrow. How do I make them reject me instead of "releasing" my application which would leave me in Clearing?

Thank you so, so much for your reply. <3

:s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 6
porkstein
Generally, 'just in case' doesn't imply that one is aware of a specific potential problem with a given course of action; only that the action could be inherently risky and it might be worth proceeding with caution.

So sure, I don't see any problems (initially) with your suggestion - hence why I mentioned it in my previous post - but rejecting an offer isn't something you want to jump straight into, aye?

I REALLY want UCL to reject me RIGHT NOW; that appears to be the only way to get into my insurance choice (assuming I will meet the grades, which is a separate, agonising issue altogether!) right now.... :frown: :frown: :frown:

I spoke to LSE on Friday and they were certain nothing can be done right now.
Dichotomy
Hey,
That's exactly what I'm hoping to do tomorrow. How do I make them reject me instead of "releasing" my application which would leave me in Clearing?

Thank you so, so much for your reply. <3

:s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Just ask them to. Explain that you don't want to go to UCL anymore, and would they please reject you (make sure you use that word, NOT release) so that you can go to your insurance instead.

Bear in mind, they don't have to agree to it. However, there is no advantage to them not - why would they want someone there who doesn't want to be there? - so it's unlikely that they would refuse.

porkstein

No, it's not. However, this person is fully informed of the outcome (they'll only have one offer) and has said they made a mistake in firming UCL, implying they have thought about this.
Reply 8
ask UCL tom and see where that leads you tom....
Reply 9
TheSownRose
No, it's not. However, this person is fully informed of the outcome (they'll only have one offer) and has said they made a mistake in firming UCL, implying they have thought about this.

I'm sure the OP has a firm grasp of the consequences either way - more so than myself, I would assume - but does that prevent me from giving him a colloquial warning? As evidenced by your instruction to 'make sure to say reject, not release', there is certainly good reason to be careful. I suggest that you have read far too deeply into my words.
porkstein
I'm sure the OP has a firm grasp of the consequences either way - more so than myself, I would assume - but does that prevent me from giving him a colloquial warning? As evidenced by your instruction to 'make sure to say reject, not release', there is certainly good reason to be careful. I suggest that you have read far too deeply into my words.

Yeah, I think I have. :colondollar: Apologies if it seemed confrontational.
Reply 11
porkstein

TheSownRose
Yeah, I think I have. :colondollar: Apologies if it seemed confrontational.

Thank you so much for your help, it's much appreciated.
I will ring them tomorrow. :frown:
Dichotomy

Aw, don't be sad or worried about it. Just make sure you speak calmly and rationally, and make sure UCL understand what you're asking them to do (ie, reject you) before they do anything.

Good luck. :smile: Let us know how it goes.
Reply 13
Dichotomy
The strategy suggested by TheSownRose should be effective - however, be aware that UCL may contact LSE to check it's OK with them - and UCL might not get the answer you want them to. Be careful not to put yourself at risk of ending with neither - unless you don't mind a gap year.

Presumably you chose UCL rather than LSE for good reasons at the time - other than it being a higher offer? Might be worth thinking through what those were, and why the course at UCL now seems 'wrong' for you. It may not be as bad as you think.
Reply 14
Minerva
The strategy suggested by TheSownRose should be effective - however, be aware that UCL may contact LSE to check it's OK with them - and UCL might not get the answer you want them to. Be careful not to put yourself at risk of ending with neither - unless you don't mind a gap year.

Presumably you chose UCL rather than LSE for good reasons at the time - other than it being a higher offer? Might be worth thinking through what those were, and why the course at UCL now seems 'wrong' for you. It may not be as bad as you think.

Heya, thanks for your reply.
Do you have any idea of what UCL would possibly ask LSE etc and why LSE would not be OK with this? :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
I'm really concerned UCL won't "reject" me, but would instead "release me into clearing".

I'm so depressed and saddened right now, I don't know what to do. As well as the worry that I won't meet my offer for both of these places, the idea of meeting my offer and going to UCL instead of LSE is also pressing on my mind.

(The only reason why I chose to firm UCL and insure LSE is because I didn't like the idea of declining an offer from UCL to study straight Maths and so because UCL wanted a higher offer of A*AA and LSE wanted AAA, I thought I could make a decision upon which university I wanted to go to at a later date by deciding whether to achieve the A* grade or not. Right now, I'm not deluded enough to think I have achieved this but I want to eliminate the chance of gong to UCL completely.)

:o:
Reply 15
TheSownRose
Aw, don't be sad or worried about it. Just make sure you speak calmly and rationally, and make sure UCL understand what you're asking them to do (ie, reject you) before they do anything.

Good luck. :smile: Let us know how it goes.

Thank you. :o:

I'm just feeling quite sick right now because I missed a potentially life changing deadline by two days which may dictate my whole entire university and life experience from this point forth. :frown:
Dichotomy
Thank you. :o:

I'm just feeling quite sick right now because I missed a potentially life changing deadline by two days which may dictate my whole entire university and life experience from this point forth. :frown:

Try not to focus on that - just deal with each thing as it happens.

What maths course are you on at LSE?
Reply 17
TheSownRose
Try not to focus on that - just deal with each thing as it happens.

What maths course are you on at LSE?

I do sound ever so depressing on here and what I write on here exacerbates what I'm actually feeling but nevertheless, it's always on the back of my mind...

I have an offer for Maths with Economics. :o:
Reply 18
Dichotomy
Heya, thanks for your reply.
Do you have any idea of what UCL would possibly ask LSE etc and why LSE would not be OK with this? :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
I'm really concerned UCL won't "reject" me, but would instead "release me into clearing".

I'm so depressed and saddened right now, I don't know what to do. As well as the worry that I won't meet my offer for both of these places, the idea of meeting my offer and going to UCL instead of LSE is also pressing on my mind.

(The only reason why I chose to firm UCL and insure LSE is because I didn't like the idea of declining an offer from UCL to study straight Maths and so because UCL wanted a higher offer of A*AA and LSE wanted AAA, I thought I could make a decision upon which university I wanted to go to at a later date by deciding whether to achieve the A* grade or not. Right now, I'm not deluded enough to think I have achieved this but I want to eliminate the chance of gong to UCL completely.)

There has been a case in another thread of someone who wanted to cancel their firm and go to their insurance instead. Unfortunately the insurance uni wasn't willing to accept the change. The UCAS rules do ask the firm university to make sure the insurance university agrees before rejecting the applicant at their request (ie not because of failing to meet the offers).

In previous years, hundreds/thousands of applicants have done exactly what you want to do and it hasn't been a problem. What seems to be happening this year is that, because place numbers are very tight and unis are nervous about exceeding their quotas, they are being much less flexible than they would be normally. So if UCL do contact LSE - as they are supposed to - then they will get the same answer you got - ie LSE have no capacity to take on any more people holding firm offers. If you did miss your UCL offer but meet the LSE one, LSE would be required to take you whether they were full or not.

The 27 July deadline was for the final round of replies from applicants, and after that everything is supposed to be held over for Clearing. Also, the Scottish results are due out on Thursday, and unis are getting organised for that.
Reply 19
Minerva
There has been a case in another thread of someone who wanted to cancel their firm and go to their insurance instead. Unfortunately the insurance uni wasn't willing to accept the change. The UCAS rules do ask the firm university to make sure the insurance university agrees before rejecting the applicant at their request (ie not because of failing to meet the offers).

In previous years, hundreds/thousands of applicants have done exactly what you want to do and it hasn't been a problem. What seems to be happening this year is that, because place numbers are very tight and unis are nervous about exceeding their quotas, they are being much less flexible than they would be normally. So if UCL do contact LSE - as they are supposed to - then they will get the same answer you got - ie LSE have no capacity to take on any more people holding firm offers. If you did miss your UCL offer but meet the LSE one, LSE would be required to take you whether they were full or not.

The 27 July deadline was for the final round of replies from applicants, and after that everything is supposed to be held over for Clearing. Also, the Scottish results are due out on Thursday, and unis are getting organised for that.

Thank you for your response, it's most grateful. :p:
Do you know which universities were involved in the other case.
To be fair, I can't see LSE being flexible about this as places are highly competitive, although would the fact that the course I have applied to is new for 2010 entry help my case?

I guess all I can do now is wait and ring them tomorrow.
Sorry to be a pain; what do I ask for? Do I ask them to reject me straight away or do I argue why they should reject me (ie. the fact I had to resit one exam 3 times? lol (that's a separate problem entirely)) and prior to this phone call, should I ring LSE to see whether they are susceptible to this idea?

Thank you for your support. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending