The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Steelie
It depends on what predicted grades you get for A2. Generally, your teachers will take AS results as the primary method of predicting them, and maybe up it by one grade if you're doing well. If you want to get on a competitive course I'd consider either resitting them or requesting for them to be sent back for remarking.

But im going to be applying to Uni in few months, and A2 starts in a while, so how could they predict A2 grades ?
Zezzy
You could consider resitting the year (if you are able to at your school/college) and redoing your AS levels. If you want to go onto A2 its best to drop one subject and then retake some modules in January, but don't overload yourself, you'll still have tough A2 exams in January depending on your courses and exam boards. You would have to put your AS grades down this year if you applied to university but not if you retook the year. Please quote me if you want me to explain anything.

Thanks,

Is it not possible for me to continue A2, then in Jan resit all the modules that i have got low in and get them high, then still get into a top Uni?

I mean, i know that i am capable of getting a much higher grade than this, i just took the holiday before the exams too easily and started revising way too late :frown:
toffee-pat
If I did 2 A2s and 2 As next year, could I still get into uni?

??
Reply 183
Killerstorm2
But im going to be applying to Uni in few months, and A2 starts in a while, so how could they predict A2 grades ?

When you apply to unis your teachers will be asked to submit A2 grade predictions based mainly on AS results. e.g. if you got a C at AS then your A2 prediction may go up to a B but no higher. Your uni offers will be based partly on those predictions.
My friend failed every exam in the Christmas period of AS year and she was really upset. All I did was listen to her and told her that it's not the end of the world as there are resits and she worked hard. Don't worry about making her feel worse because you did really well. Only her individual results are relevant, she shouldn't compare herself to anyone else. My friend who failed everything has just got a C and 3 Ds at A2 and got into UCLAN too, so if your friend works at it then she'll be fine :smile:. Congratulations on doing well :smile:.
Reply 185
fist of the south star
Dude no way, over here so many people in our class were predicted A's and the exam screwed us all over we all got between 70-80 UMS, I got 74 outy of 80 in my cw but a C in the exam and averaged out to a high B. I asked our teacher and she said she may get our whole lot re-marked as well. Something fishy is going on dude.

and what's wrong with 70-80 UMS? Where's the suprise? You don't strike me as a candidate who'd score anything above the mentioned.
Steelie
When you apply to unis your teachers will be asked to submit A2 grade predictions based mainly on AS results. e.g. if you got a C at AS then your A2 prediction may go up to a B but no higher. Your uni offers will be based partly on those predictions.

What if i am able to convice the teachers that i will be able to resit and get an A when i got a C now?
Reply 187
Killerstorm2
What if i am able to convice the teachers that i will be able to resit and get an A when i got a C now?

They have to make realistic predictions though and they can't base them on what you claim you might be able to achieve in the future otherwise they could receive grief for it. However you might be able to get resits done and marked before this happens, although you'd have to check when they're held (I think some take place in November).
this may sound like a really stupid question and probably not what the usual boffin population of TSR are used to, but i really need help.

i SERIOUSLY underachieved in my AS levels and i am quite disgusted in myself, i had plans to do a pure economics degree and hopefully take a good shot at universities such as warick, lse, and ucl.

i was predicted all As and Bs.
i got B C C C E. where both maths and economics were a C. not trying to make excuses but i had a pretty rough time between january and june, and threw away all the As i got in the january exams.

i am just wondering whether anyone can give me any reassurance (if any), because even though i would be able to convince the admissions tutors that i am right for the course, they will just look at my grades and laugh at me. i am dropping physics (the subject in which i got an E in) however i want to resit MOST of my exams in january in order to bring my AS level grades up, as i know i will have to work my socks off to get credible A2 grades, would this be possible? i am talking about resitting maybe 5 or 6 exams, someone please help me :frown: :frown:

thanks in advance XXX
So today i got my A2 results. I am usually an average student, and i had firm and insurance offer, both from Reading Uni. However my actual results were extremely low compared to my two offers. :eek3:

So i was not surprised when they declined me. Anyways now i am try to decide what to do next. Looking at my grades i think retakes are inevitable. So here are my option:

1) Go back to 6th fourm where i will try to do my Alevels again but this time i will try my best to work as hard as i can.

2) Go to a local college to do my alevels but i am hesitating to go here as i heard the quality of education and student discipline is not very good.

3) Stay home and re take.

So the wise people of student forum HELP ME PLEASE :frown:
Reply 190
footiehiro14
So today i got my A2 results. I am usually an average student, and i had firm and insurance offer, both from Reading Uni. However my actual results were extremely low compared to my two offers. :eek3:

So i was not surprised when they declined me. Anyways now i am try to decide what to do next. Looking at my grades i think retakes are inevitable. So here are my option:

1) Go back to 6th fourm where i will try to do my Alevels again but this time i will try my best to work as hard as i can.

2) Go to a local college to do my alevels but i am hesitating to go here as i heard the quality of education and student discipline is not very good.

3) Stay home and re take.

So the wise people of student forum HELP ME PLEASE :frown:

I have an option 4 for you, join the year in industry scheme, and take the exams again in your gap year. http://www.yini.org.uk
Im so gutted with my english Lit result :frown: a big fat D
I agree the exam didn't go great but i didn't think I would have done so badly. Loads of people in our year got bad results in Lit
thanks but i think i will just focus on my education next year so i can achieve as much as i can
Jfranny
and what's wrong with 70-80 UMS? Where's the suprise? You don't strike me as a candidate who'd score anything above the mentioned.

Don't be such a douche. I got 3 A's and B getting an average of 95 in my Math's modules and 96 in an Ethics paper. In my literature mock I gained 94%, in fact my own teachers told me they found it a bit odd and want to remark our entire classes results. Don't be so pretentius, cause it makes you sound like an even bigger nob when someone proves you wrong.
so basically did anyone else get really weird results this year...cas that paper went really well in my opinion but noone got an A in my school and i completely flopped it :frown:
People mess up. I remember I was predicted an A for one of my modules and I came out with a U (this was last year). People mess up and I can't imagine the examiner marked your paper so far off of an A if it was one.
yh i was so confused
i dont know if i should send it in for a remark or not because its history ....
Reply 197
Killerstorm2
Thanks,

Is it not possible for me to continue A2, then in Jan resit all the modules that i have got low in and get them high, then still get into a top Uni?

I mean, i know that i am capable of getting a much higher grade than this, i just took the holiday before the exams too easily and started revising way too late :frown:

You can go onto A2 and retake your AS modules in January, but remember you'll have A2 work on top of your resits, so its like doing all the work you did last year aswell as new work. You could still get into a top university based on your predictions, but with the demand for places this year it may be tougher since universities may be a bit skeptical about what you'll actually achieve (even though you know you can do better). I know it probably sounds bad at the moment, but redoing the year isn't the end of the world in the big grand scheme of things. If you did decide to go on, I would suggest only doing 3 A levels, and don't bother resitting any of the AS modules of the subject you drop. It would be better (for admissions) to concentrate on getting 3 really high A level grades, than say 3 decent ones and a good AS grade.
yer....came out physics thinking i've failed completely, it was shocking and unbelievable to see the A (i think they thought somebody else's paper was mine)
Which subject are you talking about?

Latest