The Student Room Group

Failed driving test several times and unsure now of what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fran1891
Hi, I have as of this week failed my driving test 7 times, which sounds bad I know, despite having had a year and a half of practice.
For the first half I learnt with an instructor, and for the second half i've been learning with my parents in their car.
My theory test has now expired and i'm unsure as to whether I should keep carrying on, as I feel as though i'm quite incapable of passing the test, which I do not even think is that difficult, despite all my practice.
In the first few tests I mainly failed due to nerves and messing up manouveres, in the 5th and 6th tests I went in the wrong lane of a one way street each time, due to lack of concentration and at the beginning of each test.
However, on my most recent test I failed due to driving too fast towards the brow of a hill on a country road, which I know was stupid, and also because I attempted to overtake a truck which was at first stationary but then began to reverse, just because the car in front had overtaken it and I had hesitated whether I should do the same or not, until the exmainer stopped me.
I just feel as though i'm never going to pass, as I have had so much practice and for the majority of time whilst driving with parents, I don't make any of these mistakes that I make in the test. The last couple of tests I was a little nervous as is expected, but I don't believe that my fails were due to nerves, as with earlier tests.
I've spent at least a few grand now on driving and am unsure whether I should continue, or would I just be setting myself up for failure again. Thanks.

i completely understand how you feel - it took me 5 times to past. i felt so **** inside every time.

but you know what? eventually i got there, i just kept going for it. YOU CAN TOO! this is a post/thread i made about my entire experience (long read)... might be good if you need it for the motivation...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1555111

all the best :smile:
Hi, I have as of this week failed my driving test 7 times, which sounds bad I know, despite having had a year and a half of practice.
For the first half I learnt with an instructor, and for the second half i've been learning with my parents in their car.
My theory test has now expired and i'm unsure as to whether I should keep carrying on, as I feel as though i'm quite incapable of passing the test, which I do not even think is that difficult, despite all my practice.
In the first few tests I mainly failed due to nerves and messing up manouveres, in the 5th and 6th tests I went in the wrong lane of a one way street each time, due to lack of concentration and at the beginning of each test.
However, on my most recent test I failed due to driving too fast towards the brow of a hill on a country road, which I know was stupid, and also because I attempted to overtake a truck which was at first stationary but then began to reverse, just because the car in front had overtaken it and I had hesitated whether I should do the same or not, until the exmainer stopped me.
I just feel as though i'm never going to pass, as I have had so much practice and for the majority of time whilst driving with parents, I don't make any of these mistakes that I make in the test. The last couple of tests I was a little nervous as is expected, but I don't believe that my fails were due to nerves, as with earlier tests.
I've spent at least a few grand now on driving and am unsure whether I should continue, or would I just be setting myself up for failure again. Thanks.

Don't u dare let anyone stop u from learning how to drive again (just forget that, that was the past, think of it as if u was going to take the test for the very first time)
Go for it, stay calm, and u'll see the result, we all know how expensive it is for the driving lessons and the prices are hitting sky in the sky but if u think about it, do u really want to give up and be dependent on ur parents and transport for the rest of ur life, or become independent?
I think u should go with another company and start again, but try to recall the pratical lessons u had previously and u can even pass u exam after 5 weeks depending on how quick u are as a learner
and I agree with the other's just completely ignore the negative comments-just cos they passed their test ages ago or recently doesn't mean it can stop u from learning how to drive again.

Hope for the good, all the best! :smile: let us know how u do- show u can do it
Reply 42

dont give up i have has the same problem, i been doing lessons for 4 years now an dhave failed my test 7 times got mu 8th on in like 2 weeks time and hopefully i pass lol also my theory ran out but i did it again and passed it again first time, whats the point giving up now when u have spent so much money ??? !!! really hope u dont give up and pass x
My advice is - first, get a driving instructor, and a good one - possibly one recommended by your friends in your area. The reason is simple - whilst it is true that the instructor will be a big expense, they know what is required on the exam, they know the process that gets you from being a newbie to being capable, they know the mistakes people make and they will correct you. They also know the standard exam routes that your driving center uses and drive you around these without end so that these routes become familiar to you.

My driving instructor was always telling me - mirrors - check them - gas, break, clutch etc and we always drove in the area around the test center and always corrected bad habits I had from watching my mum drive such as not holding the wheel in 10-2 and crossing my arms when turning it etc. These are things that examiners look at and things that your parents won't spot and don't know how to deal with. My driving test was almost exactly like one of my lessons and I was calm and simply followed instructions. I knew the area, I knew where I was going and I was told the commands in question hundreds of times before. Fiscally speaking, you'd have probably spent the same money with an instructor as you did on tests.

Second, it is possible that the place where you're doing your test is difficult to pass in. I live in a moderately hilly area of London but my driving instructor teaches his students in a posh flat area instead, where most drivers are calm and polite and there are almost no problems with hills.

I'd say book a few more driving lessons, so the instructor can tell you what your doing wrong. As maybe it's not such a good idea, learning passer's driving habits. :smile:
Driving instructors exist for a reason! Why did you stop the lessons?
Reply 46
Dont give up ! you can obviously drive to the required standard to pass the test ... its just that you have unfortunatley failed to do so on the actual day of the test ! I feel exactly the same I have failed for the 5th time now with only 3 minors , the examiner said to me its such a shame because im a good driver but she couldnt pass me becasue i hesiated on a roundabout for more than 5 seconds!!!! It seems impossible to pass the driving test even though i dont find it difficult !i love driving but seem to get caught out on the slightest of things. I thought about giving up,, and it gets me down alot but if you can drive why waste all the money youve spent on it! surely we'll pass one day :wink: !
Reply 47
drive an automatic
Reply 48

Hey, guess what? I failed today on my 7th time.
The first time I did the test, I wasn't scared at all. I thought I was a fine driver and my instructor said I was ready, when I did the test, a car crashed into me when I was SOOO close to being told I passed at the test centre.
I didn't fail, I just had to do another one for free. So I didn't pass either. I had another instructor not long after that and I was so shocked to see how many bad habits I had when I was with the first one!! I would have crashed for sure if I passed and went on my merry way!

Well, anyway, since then, all the tests I did after that were failed for stupid mistakes (which to me weren't dangerous- but you gotta remember that an examiner will fail you easily, fact, DSA make so much money from every test so you just gotta be purely perfect) because of my nerves and now unfortunately, I get more and more nervous before the next test...
The one I did today and the one before I had the same test route and failed both times on the reverse around the corner. I practice them all the time with my instructor and I do it like I've been doing it for years, but the moment I'm in the car with an examiner, my legs shake and I just can't seem to control my breathing because they are the people who dictate whether I have to pay a **** load of money to do the test again and go through the emotional stress!

I don't doubt that you can drive, maybe don't practice with your parents because they won't know the specific things you have to do to guarantee a pass. Just sort out your nerves.
I gotta do the same but I'm not gonna stop and waste the money giving up. I know I can drive very well, but I am just a driving test disaster and once I control my nerves, it'll be a breeze. I've already booked my next one.
Not gonna stop til its done.
Reply 49
Original post by celinainc
Hey, guess what? I failed today on my 7th time.
The first time I did the test, I wasn't scared at all. I thought I was a fine driver and my instructor said I was ready, when I did the test, a car crashed into me when I was SOOO close to being told I passed at the test centre.
I didn't fail, I just had to do another one for free. So I didn't pass either. I had another instructor not long after that and I was so shocked to see how many bad habits I had when I was with the first one!! I would have crashed for sure if I passed and went on my merry way!

Well, anyway, since then, all the tests I did after that were failed for stupid mistakes (which to me weren't dangerous- but you gotta remember that an examiner will fail you easily, fact, DSA make so much money from every test so you just gotta be purely perfect) because of my nerves and now unfortunately, I get more and more nervous before the next test...
The one I did today and the one before I had the same test route and failed both times on the reverse around the corner. I practice them all the time with my instructor and I do it like I've been doing it for years, but the moment I'm in the car with an examiner, my legs shake and I just can't seem to control my breathing because they are the people who dictate whether I have to pay a **** load of money to do the test again and go through the emotional stress!

I don't doubt that you can drive, maybe don't practice with your parents because they won't know the specific things you have to do to guarantee a pass. Just sort out your nerves.
I gotta do the same but I'm not gonna stop and waste the money giving up. I know I can drive very well, but I am just a driving test disaster and once I control my nerves, it'll be a breeze. I've already booked my next one.
Not gonna stop til its done.

Good on you for not giving up
I've failed 4 so far all because of my nerves thy get the better of me I'm not gonna give up I've got my own car that I practise in all the time.ive spent to much as well to give up now.

I wish you all the best for your future test you will pass this time I'm sure :smile:
Reply 50
The driving test is just too political. It's bull****.
Reply 51

I bet if you took a test in America you would pass.
Reply 52
If you want to learn to drive get a good driving instructor. I failed my first test- due to nerves but stuck with my instructor who was brilliant and passed the second time. This was all within one year and a lot of postponing tests. A good instructor will give you invaluable survival tips that your parents might not even consider
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Lmfao, this made me laugh. Opens up your sex life? So you actually had problems getting laid before you passed your test? Lmfao must remember this witty quote
yes you've got to remember this was back in the day when not only did a car impress girls but the back seat was many a `starter for ten` as dear old bamber used to say! LOL
Reply 54
Give yourself time to get away from these thoughts, maybe one or two weeks. Afterwards the direction you want to take will be more clear.

Change your strategy - if you failed with your parents as instructors go and get a professional instructor. If you are nervous learning to relax and breathe slowly can help a lot too. As you describe it you either failed due to your nerves, or because you were not precise enough. Maybe driving with your parents makes you too relaxed, and you did not develop the sharpness required to pass the test. So going with a pro should help :smile:

Good luck, you will surely pass sooner or later!
Reply 55
Original post by MALIK HAMID

Also, in the actual test try to waste time by being slow, this will mean you have to drive a shorter distance and you have tonnes of thinking time. Also never overtake or do anything that you don't absolutely have to do.

I know that this advice is meant well but I have to disagree with it. If you are too slow in your test, you will get minors for appropriate speed and undue hesitation. The best thing to do is keep in and up to the speed limit and to slow down for bends/narrow roads, and road works.
Reply 56
You should keep going as you will get there eventually and when you do it will be worth it. I suggest getting a new instructor (if you can afford it) who will be able to teach you in accord with driving test standards. It is good to get additional experience driving between lessons with your parents but sometimes they might pass on bad driving habits and also their tests were so different to nowadays and therefore they won't be as strict with you in terms of checking mirrors which is a negative.

It sounds like you are lacking confidence. Get a driving instruction book and read through that and look at lots of videos on youtube. I found it very useful watching mock test videos online. There are some good website you can look at too.
this is a three year old thread
This thread is as old as the hills, but I would say to the OP to get back into lessons with a proper instructor. The fact she was learning from her parents is probably why she failed. They'll have been driving for years and will have picked up all sorts of bad habits that they're passing onto her.
last word from me don't give up!! Changes your life! KRO!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending