The Student Room Group

Passed my test but I can't bay park.

So I passed my test second time today but I've been thinking. I have no idea how to bay park. I had a lesson on it but that was at the beginning of the year and now I have no idea how to do it. There's some things that should be taught that aren't. For example, I can now go on a motorway but I don't know how to...now isn't that dangerous. I might book another lesson to learn this but I'd really like to know how to bay park now. So how do you do it and have you got any tips?

P.s its not too big a car, just a little KA so it shouldn't be too hard but still.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tabers
I can now go on a motorway but I don't know how to.

You drive along a slip road, onto the motorway and try not to drive too slowly or too quickly. Not that hard. You can always take an advanced driving course if you don't feel ready.
Reply 2
just drive in frontwards.

Anyway, it doesnt matter if you have to drive in at an awkward angle, then straighten up once or twice. I passed in june, and i dont think i have even attempted the reverse bay park as i was taught it - sort of just blag it. But my advice to you would be to park in easy spaces till you feel more comfortable in your car and know your limits and what it can do. in about a month you wont understand what you were fussing about.

Yeh, id certainly agree about the driving test stuff being a bit narrow.

good luck with it =)
Reply 3
Practise parking. When I first started driving I couldn't bay park, but now it's my favourite way of parking. Find a public car park and go at a quiet time.
I'm a bit worried by how clueless you seem considering you can now drive around unaided.
Reply 5
I haven't reverse bay parked since I was taught how to before my test. I've parallel parked a few times, but I mostly avoid that as well. Just drive in frontwards, and then straghten up if you need to...so much easier!
Reply 6
Tabers
So I passed my test second time today but I've been thinking. I have no idea how to bay park. I had a lesson on it but that was at the beginning of the year and now I have no idea how to do it. There's some things that should be taught that aren't. For example, I can now go on a motorway but I don't know how to...now isn't that dangerous. I might book another lesson to learn this but I'd really like to know how to bay park now. So how do you do it and have you got any tips?

P.s its not too big a car, just a little KA so it shouldn't be too hard but still.

Why are you worrying about anything!!! You just passed your driving test, i've failed 4 times... If I pass I couldn't care less about bay parking.

Just celebrate and be happy
Reply 7
Bslforever
I'm a bit worried by how clueless you seem considering you can now drive around unaided.

I never got taught how to do it, it's not really tested. After I passed I didn't leave myself enough space when parking and very nearly took a chunk out of a bmw. Kind of wish I had but... Anyway, to the OP, if you aren't confident just make sure you leave plenty of room before turning (should be easy in a Ka) and it shouldn't be difficult at all to manoeuvre in. Make sure you go at a slow pace as well, rushing it is bad.
Just sodding practise in a quiet car park - you don't even need a public road FFS.
Use some common sense.

Same goes for motorways - go at a quiet time, go with an experienced driver, take it slow and get used to things. Do Pass Plus if you really can't think for yourself.
Reply 9
It will all come with practice - like said above, don't worry. There are pass plus courses which give you more practice on the road in different conditions e.g motorways - I think it's a waste of time and money but it eases new drivers onto the roads. Also, I've heard taking the pass plus course can help with costs with insurance companies, but probably not a lot.
Just practice, practice, practice!
Go to an empty carpark (Sunday evening's are best for this, while it's still light enough to see what you're doing) and just try different techniques. For example, I'm still having lessons (can't pass the theory, fml!) and I don't do the bay parking the way I was taught.. as long as you find a way that works for you, it doesn't really matter whether it's the "proper" way, as long as you can eventually get into a space.
Tabers

Keep a metre away from the cars. Pull up perpendicular to the bay and ahead of it. Reverse while looking through the rear left window (the one behind the passenger seat window) and then when you see the end of the car do a full lock turn to the left while reversing slowly and then straighten up when the car is parallel to the others.
Reply 12
Woman drivers ><
I passed my test in May 2009 and I still can't parallel park... but bay parking is easy.
If you need practice, do to a car park after hours when it's empty and just practice then. I did it in a field [private land] and got it perfect every time after that.
Passing your test doesnt mean you know everything. Keep having lessons, do pass plus, get more practice in.
Reply 15
do pass plus for motorway driving. I did, it was SO helpful.
Reply 16
For motorway driving, as well as on country roads and at night time, try pass plus. It's a few more lessons and for some insurers will make your insurance a couple of hundred pounds cheaper. Plus it'll give you a bit more experience with driving in general and also in a different car.

As for the parking, get some small cones and practice practice practice :smile:
Reply 17
I passed in May and I still can't. I just drive into a space. If there are no spaces I park wonky. It's no biggie.
You must have done Dual Carriageway driving to pass your test. The Motorway is pretty much the same.
Reply 19
lool i cant either. ive been passed since may and still cant reverse bay park in a tiny peugeot 207 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending