The Student Room Group

Safe to remove a fleshy mole myself?

I have a small mole thats sticks out on my stomach/waist like (hard to explain) but its not flat its like connected to the skin like a spot?

If I ripped it off or put string round it til it fell of would this be safe?

I asked my doc to do it and they said I cant get done on NHS unless there is a health reason so I woudl need to pay private which seemed a bit OTT to me?

I mean I wont get cnacer or something will I?

ANy advice?
Leave it to the professionals son.
Reply 2
A while ago I had some warts on my foot that I cut off with a razor blade, and surprisingly my foot has remained wart-free ever since, idk if that 'works' with moles though, never had one. how much would it cost to get removed?
Reply 3
Erm, i wouldn't think that was really safe.
I wouldn't be doing that yourself if I were you, it could get infected or you could do it wrong. Why on earth would you to think that removing a mole yourself was a good idea??
Reply 5
I don't advocate this and not 100% sure if it's true. But, I think if you see the doctor and claim that the mole is causing you emotional distress e.g. making you feel depressed, insecure, suicidal etc and make it convincing, then they'll remove it for you free on the NHS.
No no no don't do it yourself. Even if it looks like it's just on the surface you don't know how far into your skin the roots (for lack of a better word) go. This means that if you snip it off it might still grow back and look worse. Trust me on this one!

My advice is to not worry about it. It's probably not worth going private for such a small mole and I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. I've cut moles off before, they just come back and the pigment distribution changes with the regrowth. Learn from my mistakes. :p:
Reply 7
I swear its only about £50 to £100 private
I tried cutting a mole on my arm out with a knife, went pretty deep and thought I got it all but the damn thing grew back again :mad: It's slightly bigger now too.
Reply 9
Original post by mrmuscles800
I have a small mole thats sticks out on my stomach/waist like (hard to explain) but its not flat its like connected to the skin like a spot?

If I ripped it off or put string round it til it fell of would this be safe?

I asked my doc to do it and they said I cant get done on NHS unless there is a health reason so I woudl need to pay private which seemed a bit OTT to me?

I mean I wont get cnacer or something will I?

ANy advice?

It could be a skin tag which often looks like a mole. You need a "medical" reason to have it removed i.e it rubs on your clothes and irritates you or the appearance of it is causing you distress etc.

Don't attempt to remove it on your own unless you want some sort of disgusting infection.
Reply 10
If you cut it off, it'll probably bleed loads. Cellotape some garlic to it every night for about a week. It'll go a bit manky but then you'll probably be able to scrape it off without too much damage.
I took one off my chest by tying cotton round it, its gone and havent had any problems, though I wouldn't reccomend it. Private isnt vastly expensive.
Seriously don't bother getting it removed. I got a mole removed from my back last month on the NHS. I wish I'd never flipping bothered.

Medical (kinda icky) pics in spoiler :

Spoiler

Take my advice.....leave your moles alone! It's not worth the hassle. I have loads more moles but I wouldn't dream of getting them removed after this. I wouldn't have bothered with this first one actually except that it kept getting caught on stuff (tags in clothes, my hair etc) and it hurt when that happened.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest