The Student Room Group

Face to Face / over the phone / text - whats best?

-----
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 07Wrighty07
Theres a party at the weekend a formal one, from uni, and theres a girl that i really like (she knows this) and I would like her to accompany me to the party, (shes going already but I would like to know if she would like to go with me, if that makes sense lol) so how would be the best way to go about it, and how should i word it.

"Would you like to go with me to the party this weekend?"
"would you like to accompany me to the party this weekend??"
"If your not going with anyone to the party, Id be glad to take you to the party this weekend?"
"Would you like to go with the party this weekend, the princess needs a knight to take to the party :-p (lol maybe not that one)"

Any other ideas that make it sound like a date, I know its not a date but i want to make it sound like I want to go as her partner for the night - if that makes sense - and then properly ask her out at the party.

don't say either of the ones in bold!

how about suggesting going for a drink before the party!
text her saying 'hiya, you're going to the party next weekend right? do you want to go for a quick drink before hand? :smile: '

that way you can have a chat and stuff before you get there, cause I always find at parties, it is too loud and busy to actually hold a decent conversation with someone for more than two minutes :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
why do you need to go as "partners". just turn up and pull her? much less hassle

unless everyones expected to go as couples. in that case just ask he if she's going with anybody, then if she says she isn't ask her to go with you. if she is then just take somebody else
I like Mally's suggestion. I'd also prefer it face to face or by phone becuase that's more personal than by text message and because it seems for friendly.
Reply 4
Leave her a post-it note
It's not too bad texting her/asking her to this dance thing by phone - just make sure that you ask her our properly face-to-face, okay? :smile:
Reply 6
as im a shy guy, scared of her saying no

........."that's the sound of a man working on a chain..................gang"
Reply 7
How formal are we talking? Like a ball?

I'd leave a message personally, both because you're shy and because it's difficult to say no to that face-to-face (if she doesn't want to and don't have an excuse or other partner).
Reply 8
yeah, its like a ball and shes going, i know she is she told me that , and she told me to go to aswell as i wasn't sure to go or not.

What about over the phone, is it difficult to say no to it, wouldnt it be the same however i ask her?

So if i text her it, its not gonna make me seem like a weak man or something??, as i saw her briefly like in passing, but it didn't seem right to just blurt it out while she was on the way to a lecture, so I slept on it over the weekend and I definitely want to ask her to go with me to the ball.

just text her! it is not like you're asking her to be your girlfriend (something that should definitely be done face-to-face)!

stop time-wasting and over-analysing and send the ruddy text :tongue:
Reply 9
I want to be her Boyfriend tho, dont you geddit!! lol. That tho I will ask to her face, lol, so if I text her asking itd be absolutely fine??

lol yeah I kinda understood that from your posts :tongue:
I am sure sure sure that is a fine way to ask her to go with you to the dance, it makes it more casual!
just say 'fancy going for a drink before hand? or shall we meet up before the dance?' and she will get the hint!
good luck :biggrin:
The princess-knight one, definitely. :rofl:
Reply 11
Ok before i go ahead, do i start off a text convo, or just be like this

"Morning, How are you today? I've been thinking over the weekend, and I would like to take you to the party this weekend, ....

".....Would you like to go to the party with me"

first one sounds kinda lame, as what can i put after weekend, partys pretty early begins at like half 7 and im driving so cant drink lol.

right just say - 'heya, how was your weekend? looking forward to the party next week? was just wondering if you wanted to meet up before and go together maybe :smile: I'm driving so I can give you a lift if you want as well' <----- this :biggrin:
Reply 12
Right so here goes........

Wish me luck Malz

lol, you'll be fine you big wuss! the key is to just sound casual and nonchalant rather than desperate :tongue: I'm sure she'll be delighted to go with you! let me know what she replies.
Reply 13
Arg must hit send.....this is more nerve racking than when i first asked her out, ages ago, she had a bf then lol.

you asked her out on a date whilst she had a boyfriend?:K:
just send it, you don't really have anything to lose and the later you leave it, the more chance there is that someone will ask her out before you haha!
Reply 14
really doesnt exactly help my confidence much does it, just as bad as texting lol.

any other opinions to my post above monkeyhead's and the thread in general?

Its different?
Reply 15
erm you do know it usually takes more than one night to become bf/gf? If your freakin out about asking her to the ball I wouldnt recommend asking her out on the same night, your at uni now I thought people had grown out of this stuff, like someone else said just pull her then take it from there. I think youve been watching too much cinderella
Reply 16
i never got a reply!! do u reckon she wants me to ask face to face?
Reply 17
bump
Reply 18
I think that her answer is a no then and there is no point in phoning her.
Reply 19
if it is its pretty darn cruel to not even reply, maybe she hasnt recieved the texts, i mean i was on fb yes i know its only fb and shes been liking my status's im not say that that shows she likes me im saying that it shows shes still interested in talking to me. and maybe shes wanting to be asked face to face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending