The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't care if someone is gay or not. I have several gay/lesbian friends. What matters is what kind of person they are, and whether they piss me off or not.
I have zero problems with civil partnerships etc. Each to their own.

But I do think that some people I know, who are gay, go around making a massive deal of it too often. It's like it has become the one defining point of their character/personality. One of my group of friends came out a few years ago, and has not failed to mention it at every get together since. If we go to hers she insists on putting on drama/romance movies with lesbian plots.

I do get that it's a big deal, for people to come out and be respected etc. But to be honest, nowadays it really isn't as controversial as it once was. I personally think if some weren't shoving their view on sexuality at you almost everytime you see them you would actually respect them more.

I hardly mention to everyone I meet that I'm heterosexual. The fact that I am doesn't define me, it's just a tiny piece. I wish people would realise that they would be respected more if they weren't making every single thing about the fact that they are gay.
Reply 62
I naturally have no problem with gay people at all and I wouldn't advocate discriminatory treatment due to a different sexual orientation.

But I believe that marriage is an institution between man and wife, the latter being required to be female (and the former male). Neither do I think adoption outside of the matrimonial home should be allowed, for the sake of the child. This actually doesn't have anything to do with the sexual preferences of anybody, it is a matter of ends and not distinguishing people for separate treatment on the basis of their sexual preference.

Unpopular views on TSR, granted. But it's not like I'm drafting the legislation. And neither do I hold it to be unfairly discriminatory.
(edited 13 years ago)
there's something queer about them
I love Big T**ts, a55 and beautiful girls so please phuck off. Thank you
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hooovan*
I don't care if someone is gay or not. I have several gay/lesbian friends. What matters is what kind of person they are, and whether they piss me off or not.

This!
Original post by Anonymous-
Very rude..

Anyway, children in homes need a stable, heterosexual environment. These children are especially vulnerable and shouldn't be exposed to homosexuality at an early age. Don't you think that the children have been through enough without being torn to **** by bullies at school?
Just because the gay people may be happy and are able to give the child more emotionally and aesthetically, doesn't mean that they are fit to parent these children. There are of course exceptions, but for the most part I am correct. No other opinion need bee expressed.

So you are now distinguishing between homosexuality and heterosexuality saying they are unequal. They are just two humans beings!!
Look, I'm a Catholic, so don't think I'm just totally "for" this all. But I do believe they have the right to adopt and have civil partnerships and etc.
Original post by DJkG.1
I naturally have no problem with gay people at all and I wouldn't advocate discriminatory treatment due to a different sexual orientation.

But I believe that marriage is an institution between man and wife, the latter being required to be female (and the former male). Neither do I think adoption outside of the matrimonial home should be allowed, for the sake of the child. This actually doesn't have anything to do with the sexual preferences of anybody, it is a matter of ends and not distinguishing people for separate treatment on the basis of their sexual preference.

Unpopular views on TSR, granted. But it's not like I'm drafting the legislation. And neither do I hold it to be unfairly discriminatory.

I agree with this :smile: x
I'm bi with a gf so I clearly don't have any issues with homosexuality or gay people. Neither am I particulary bothered about those who think it's wrong, a sin etc. And neither will their views stop me from being with my partner or even if the time comes having children :h:
Reply 69
i dont think gay people should be married because its in a church, and doesnt the bible go on about homosexuality being wrong? im not religious and i dont think gay people shouldnt be together or cant fall in love and commit themselves to each other for the rest of their lives but logically isnt it like a black person joining the KKK?
Reply 70
Original post by Craiky1506
I have no problem with gay people.

Gay marriage is fine, no reason why they shouldn't be allowed - they (presumably) love each other.

Gay adoption, however, is where it gets difficult. While in a perfect world there would be no problem - I would worry for the child if it was adopted, for example if his schoolmates find out his parents are 2 males who have adopted him... well, I just could see a lot of bullying happening.

The problem is if children don't bully them because of their parents they'll find something else if they want to-I was bullied because I enjoyed my school work/played an instrument but I could have been bullied for the way I spoke, the fact I came from a single parent family, because I was gay myself...the list goes on. I'm always puzzled when people bring up that argument about adoption-children pick on others for anything that is different, if we rule out difference as a way to cut down on bullying what sort of world would we be in? I doubt bullying would be reduced as something always comes up for a bully to use.
Original post by Ell <3
Ok, so I was googling some stuff earlier cos I was bored and I was disgusted to see some people's views, especially in the Western world saying that gay people shouldn't get equal rights and that they shouldn't express their sexuality publicly. This has really angered me and I just wanted other people's opinions on it?

What's your opinions on gay marriage and gay adoption too?

The Bible says it is wrong so it is wrong and they are sinners and they disgust me and they will burn in hell and they will have no children and and and............:biggrin:

Honestly, I could not care less about gays. Get married, adopt, it does not always work with straight folk so what is the worst that will happen with a gay couple? At least when they adopt then want to have kids rather then *bam* accident and now you are stuck with a kid.
Original post by Summergirl.x
So you are now distinguishing between homosexuality and heterosexuality saying they are unequal. They are just two humans beings!!
Look, I'm a Catholic, so don't think I'm just totally "for" this all. But I do believe they have the right to adopt and have civil partnerships and etc.

These children are very vulnerable, as I have previously stated. The best thing for the child would be to live in a stable and heterosexual environment. There are more then enough straight couple that could provide a stable environment for these children, so why turn to a homosexual couple? Does not make sense.

Why do you feel the need to mention the fact that they are human? I already know this. And yes they are unequal. I am not saying that it is right, but the world is not a place where we are all equal. Get used to it.
Reply 73
Original post by Ell <3
Ok, so I was googling some stuff earlier cos I was bored and I was disgusted to see some people's views, especially in the Western world saying that gay people shouldn't get equal rights and that they shouldn't express their sexuality publicly. This has really angered me and I just wanted other people's opinions on it?

What's your opinions on gay marriage and gay adoption too?

To be honest it's pretty stomach turning to see two guys making out, two women = awesome (provided they aren't stereotypcally lesbian i.e fat, hairy, manly). I'm perfectly happy for them to do it just not in front of me, but I think gay men like to make a spectacle of themselves - I've seen about the same amount of straight and lesbian couples kissing in public as gay male ones. I fully support gay rights but would rather not see two dudes going at it - I'm perfectly happy for people to do whatever gross sexual acts they want provided it's in private ; if you want to eat **** or stick live eels up your rectum then go ahead but I don't want to see (and call me a homophobe if you must but to me, as a heterosexual male, man-on-man action falls into the same category of unpleasantness as ****-eating and eel stuffing). To be honest I think it's rather low class for anyone to do anything more than hold hands or give a light kiss in public anyway, I consider sexual acts to be something to do in private not show the whole world (unless you're hot lesbians, of course, in which case have at it :perv: ).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by marlb105
i dont think gay people should be married because its in a church, and doesnt the bible go on about homosexuality being wrong? im not religious and i dont think gay people shouldnt be together or cant fall in love and commit themselves to each other for the rest of their lives but logically isnt it like a black person joining the KKK?

The Bible is under debate-the passages used against homosexuality by modern Christians are under question as it seems they may have been referring to sexual acts different to the modern idea of homosexuality (ie not committed relationships out of love/attraction but otherwise straight people rebelling to commit sexual acts with members of the same sex). These passages also contain rules regarding many things now acceptable in our culture that were in the Bible for social reasons at the time it was written (eating shellfish...women speaking in Church...etc etc). There are a number of gay Christians, you just have to search the Internet.
Reply 75
I have gay friends.

I'm fine with gay marriage.

I'm fine with adoption too, although I doubt Britain will get round the concept of it for a while, since it still has a problem with parents adopting kids of a different race.
Reply 76
I think they are so gay.
They're quite lucky that they don't have to worry about pregnancy.
Original post by Anonymous-
These children are very vulnerable, as I have previously stated. The best thing for the child would be to live in a stable and heterosexual environment. There are more then enough straight couple that could provide a stable environment for these children, so why turn to a homosexual couple? Does not make sense.

Why do you feel the need to mention the fact that they are human? I already know this. And yes they are unequal. I am not saying that it is right, but the world is not a place where we are all equal. Get used to it.

There are not plenty enough straight couples that could provide a stable environment for children. Thousands of children across the country - not to mention other countries are be treated poorly by the social services - ie. taken from one foster home to another or put in a home with inadequate parents. Open your eyes.

Excuse me, if you put one human being next to another human being they are equal.

Oh I give up arguing against you. You're just being immoral.
Reply 79
Original post by DJkG.1

Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion but I can't help thinking this 'matrimonal home for the sake of the kids' argument is slightly odd. Many children end up in 'unusual' family units because of death or things outside a parent's control so to deny gay couples the right to adopt seems unusual as they have just as much chance of providing a stable family unit for children as any other couple. I'm biased though-I was brought up in a single parent family and couldn't have wished for more love or a greater education in my upbringing so don't see what family arrangements have to do with raising children. As for institutions, a lot of things were institutions before they were seen to be wrong or unfair and changed.

Latest

Trending

Trending