The Student Room Group

Swollen ovaries?

I noticed my ovaries were a bit lumpy about a month ago and although it worried me a bit, soon forgot about it. Over the past couple of days and particularly today i've felt a dull ache in the right side of my ovaries and they feel really swollen.

I also feel really bruised on my right pelvic side today. I was wondering if anyone has had something similar & what it could be? I've had the cervical cancer jab & am a virgin, so i'm trying not to worry too much. Earlier I can go to doctors is Friday, and I'm currently on the microgynon pill, would it be wise to stop taking it this week?

Thanks guys!
That doesn't sound too good, you should definitely go to see your GP as soon as possible, maybe stop taking the pill, until your visit to the GP, and inform him/her that you're taking it. Also, are your periods regular?
Reply 2
Hey,

I didn't think it would be great news :frown: I'm on the pill so my periods are pretty controlled and have probably been a bit shorter than normal, lasting about 3 days instead of 4/5. Have you ever heard of it before? I've tried looking it up but keep getting ovarian cancer so I've given up as it's pretty depressing tbh!
I think you should speak to a doctor when you can.

Good luck
Reply 4
Try not to worry about it.
I can't say for certain at all, but you may suffer from ovarian cysts. They aren't always a big deal at all. I know they can come and go every month and can cause some discomfort and swelling. They are usually no cause for concern, they are just occasionally monitored.
But I obviously can't be sure.
Just try not to worry about things too much at all! The chances are it's not serious and can easily be sorted. :smile:
I'm glad I have a penis. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I didn't think it would be great news :frown: I'm on the pill so my periods are pretty controlled and have probably been a bit shorter than normal, lasting about 3 days instead of 4/5. Have you ever heard of it before? I've tried looking it up but keep getting ovarian cancer so I've given up as it's pretty depressing tbh!

Ovarian cancer is very unlikely for young people, it most often occurs after the menopause.

Don't worry about it!
OP if you're worried about ovarian cancer and the pill, you should note that the pill is reported to reduce the incidence of ovarian cancer. speak to a doctor about it as soon as possible an internet diagnosis will just scare you.
:eek:

You can actually feel ovaries??

I always thought they were too buried away to be felt...

But as for you, go to the docs and try not to worry too much. :smile:
good luck
Reply 9
Original post by MrsCrackFox
Try not to worry about it.
I can't say for certain at all, but you may suffer from ovarian cysts. They aren't always a big deal at all. I know they can come and go every month and can cause some discomfort and swelling. They are usually no cause for concern, they are just occasionally monitored.
But I obviously can't be sure.
Just try not to worry about things too much at all! The chances are it's not serious and can easily be sorted. :smile:

Hey,

Thanks for this, it probably is that, but I will go to docs this week just to be sure. Should i just take the pill like normal do you think?
Reply 10
How on earth did you actually feel your ovaries? Or at least what you think is them?

I don't mean to be rude, but a lot of people think they are feeling their ovaries, or feeling pain from them, when it's in a completely different place. Ovaries are very small and buried in your pelvis; the vast vast majority of people can't feel them through their tummy.

If you are worried then go to your GP but tbh I think it's fairly unlikely there's anything going on.
Reply 11
Original post by secret_smile
:eek:

You can actually feel ovaries??

I always thought they were too buried away to be felt...

But as for you, go to the docs and try not to worry too much. :smile:
good luck

I know, I didn't think you could either :s-smilie: i think it's ovarian cysts...grrreat. But thankyou, will go to docs and let people know :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Helenia
How on earth did you actually feel your ovaries? Or at least what you think is them?

I don't mean to be rude, but a lot of people think they are feeling their ovaries, or feeling pain from them, when it's in a completely different place. Ovaries are very small and buried in your pelvis; the vast vast majority of people can't feel them through their tummy.

If you are worried then go to your GP but tbh I think it's fairly unlikely there's anything going on.

Well I can't feel them on the right side, but can definately feel them on the left. Kinda like pressing over a bunch of small grapes. And it's where the ovaries should be, but I dunno. Thanks for your reassurance, I've realised looking at things online just look at the worst possible outcome (usually cancer!) Will just go to doc's.
Reply 13
Well I can't feel them on the right side, but can definately feel them on the left. Kinda like pressing over a bunch of small grapes. And it's where the ovaries should be, but I dunno. Thanks for your reassurance, I've realised looking at things online just look at the worst possible outcome (usually cancer!) Will just go to doc's.

You only have one on either side :wink:

In my (admittedly relatively short) medical career I can count on one hand the number of patients whose ovaries I have been able to feel through their abdomen, so I would expect it's quite unlikely in your case. Whatever you are feeling, it's highly unlikely to be cancer, but just go along to the GP for some reassurance.

Edit: you do know that I can see who negs me for giving sensible medical advice?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Helenia

Edit: you do know that I can see who negs me for giving sensible medical advice?

Judging by the positive reps above you, guess is that Anon went to pos you but accidentally hit the neg button.
Reply 15
Original post by Helenia

In my (admittedly relatively short) medical career I can count on one hand the number of patients whose ovaries I have been able to feel through their abdomen, so I would expect it's quite unlikely in your case. Whatever you are feeling, it's highly unlikely to be cancer, but just go along to the GP for some reassurance.

I think they're ovarian cysts that I can feel, but I'm not entirely sure. My sister said her friend had them and is fine now so hopefully it's not serious!
Reply 16
Original post by Helenia

Was it me that negged you?! I'm pretty sure I didn't although I'm on my iPod so don't have much control!
Hey,

Thanks for this, it probably is that, but I will go to docs this week just to be sure. Should i just take the pill like normal do you think?

I would stay on the pill. I think it would be easier really to be consistent. It might confuse the issue more if you suddenly go off the pill.
Try not to worry though, I know I always do in situations like this and it does nothing to help!

Edit: Just got you visitor message.
No I don't think it affects fertility, I know someone who has cysts and nothing was said about affecting fertility.
And I'm not really sure if the doctor will check your vagina, I imagine the chances are he/she won't because it's quite obvious that it's to do with your ovaries and so the only way you can see inside then is through a scan. The chances are you'll get sent for a scan, but don't think the worst! It's a normal procedure, just so they can fully be aware of what the problem is. I can think of about 3 people who have this problem, it's really quite common.

You might find this link useful- http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ovarian-cyst/Pages/Introduction.aspx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by MrsCrackFox
I would stay on the pill. I think it would be easier really to be consistent. It might confuse the issue more if you suddenly go off the pill.
Try not to worry though, I know I always do in situations like this and it does nothing to help!

Edit: Just got you visitor message.
No I don't think it affects fertility, I know someone who has cysts and nothing was said about affecting fertility.
And I'm not really sure if the doctor will check your vagina, I imagine the chances are he/she won't because it's quite obvious that it's to do with your ovaries and so the only way you can see inside then is through a scan. The chances are you'll get sent for a scan, but don't think the worst! It's a normal procedure, just so they can fully be aware of what the problem is. I can think of about 3 people who have this problem, it's really quite common.

You might find this link useful- http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ovarian-cyst/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Ok thanks for the info! When I felt them last month they were painless but are definately feel them this time round, but if I had them before it's probably the "common" type. Will try and get to the doctors Monday & find out!

Thank you so much for your help xxx
I know this is an old thread - but I think what you are describing is swollen lymph nodes. Mine are visible externally in the same position as you described, and also feel like "a small bunch of grapes". There's a useful illustration here:
http://www.medicinenet.com/swollen_lymph_nodes/page3.htm

Quick Reply

Latest