The Student Room Group

Dissertations

I'm currently in my 3rd and final year of a bsc hons social science degree... and recently there's been some issues with the running of the course and we're already at the stages of complaining. (long story)

I'm just wondering where everyone else is on the their dissertations. Our last semester of dissertation prep was a shambles and we still haven't been taught all of what our dissertation requires.

Our proposals and ethical forms were sent off mid december, but we still haven't had our work signed off, so we can't go ahead with anything yet. So basically we've got just over 3 months (due 3rd May) to write a whole dissertation.

I'm just wondering what the procedure and timeline is for other unis when it comes to dissertations.
Reply 1
No one?
Original post by HeatherH
No one?

hi,

i no im doing geography but it is human geography so will be very simular to a social science one im guessing

ive basically got 5 weeks left until i need to hand mine in and ive written over half of it now.

we first got inital info in december of my second year, came up with a proposal and asigned tutors by may in my second year.

i then collected data during the summer

and was meant to do all the analysing by december of my final year although this hasnt quite happened.

i already wrote my intro around november and my methodology in the december, have just finished writing up my literature review after spending nearly 6 months researching all this and finding more and more up-to-date info.

should of finished a bit more before, but i should have the main bulk done by the end of this weekend.

its managble, the english students at my uni only get one semester to complete their dissertation in. it will just mean lots of planning and getting stuck in.

i would advise you buy a dissertation guide style book or at least look at some in the library. they are really useful and will get you on your way if you have had no other help
Reply 3
Thanks Nikki, I've bought a couple of social science dissertation books, hoping they'll help me through. I just can't believe how crammed they've made it, we weren't even asked to think of a subject til october last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending